Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry vs. Lawrence County Updates
EKUAlum05 Wrote:FINAL
Belfry 49-0

An excellent and very profitable game!

Congratulations Belfry!
Congrats to Belfry on the win. Their JV looked and played just like the starters and that is a scary thing lol. For my Dawgs the bottom line is this.... we have to,at some point, start wrapping up when tackling and have better awareness on pass defense. Way too many times this season teams have people running wide open down the field. On offense we have to throw the ball even if it gets picked or incomplete and throw it to someone other than #10 every time. Teams are just stacking the box on us knowing we cannot throw and our 5 linemen cannot block 8 or 9 defenders. I understand we played Belfry tonight and they did what they do to everyone and I am definately not a coach but we cannot keep trying to pound the ball on 8-9 man fronts and substain any success. Purely my opinion. On a positive note I was very glad to see that there were no injuries that I know of for both teams and seemed to be pretty good sportsmanship the whole game.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Congrats to Belfry on the win. Their JV looked and played just like the starters and that is a scary thing lol. For my Dawgs the bottom line is this.... we have to,at some point, start wrapping up when tackling and have better awareness on pass defense. Way too many times this season teams have people running wide open down the field. On offense we have to throw the ball even if it gets picked or incomplete and throw it to someone other than #10 every time. Teams are just stacking the box on us knowing we cannot throw and our 5 linemen cannot block 8 or 9 defenders. I understand we played Belfry tonight and they did what they do to everyone and I am definately not a coach but we cannot keep trying to pound the ball on 8-9 man fronts and substain any success. Purely my opinion. On a positive note I was very glad to see that there were no injuries that I know of for both teams and seemed to be pretty good sportsmanship the whole game.

One thing I think Lawrence can definitely take as a positive out of this is the fact that against the Belfry varsity they were at least in the right places most of the night on D. It wasn't like Belfry was ripping 50 yard or even 20 yard gains whenever they wanted. The Pirates earned their early drives and had to convert some 4th Downs.

I think that is a definite building block.

Lawrence is going to have to manufacture some playmakers though to compete with Belfry. Not a lot of fast twitch fiber guys right now.
Several times we had players there to make a play and they simply did not wrap up. The coaches can only do so much and it comes down to the kids have to stay focused and execute. The effort is there just lots of bad fundamentals this season. Belfry tends to cause a lot of that with opposing teams though I would imagine.
Bentleys
EKUAlum05 Wrote:BELFRY
Corbett 3/3, 92 yards, 2 TD
Fletcher 7 carries, 28 yards, TD
Hensley 4 carries, 30 yards, TD
Catron 5 carries, 48 yards, TD 1 rec, 12 yards
Hunter 6 carries, 50 yards, 1 rec, 59 yards, TD
92 passing, 135 rushing
227 yards on 26 plays

LC
24 Plays, 24 Yards
Belfry over 350 total yards
Hensley 10 carries, 54 yards, TD
Ben Bentley 5 carries, 69 yards, TD
Corbett 3/3, 92 yards, 2 TD
Hunter around 50 rushing and 50 receiving with a TD and an INT on Defense

LC
80 total yards
Thanks he said he scored but didn't know yardage.
Sucks missing the games, hopefully be back within the month. But then I got to come back for all the Fiber work.
0ff The Chain Wrote:Several times we had players there to make a play and they simply did not wrap up. The coaches can only do so much and it comes down to the kids have to stay focused and execute. The effort is there just lots of bad fundamentals this season. Belfry tends to cause a lot of that with opposing teams though I would imagine.
That right there is what I been screaming for the last 5 or so seasons. Even with a senior heavy experienced team like last season we had horrible fundamentals. I dare any LC fan to point to any single game we have had in the last 5 or 6 years and show me an example of a fundamentally sound game. To much hands off coaching, to much do this or that but very little example or showing how. And all this time people thought I had something personal against coach Cecil. It was never anything like that I just have eyes to see with and I saw how things were done when we were a dominant team and program in this area and then I saw how things were being done under his watch and the difference is night and day and anyone who wants to argue that it's not is either to young to remember or is blind. Lawrence County has had very mediocre play and coaching with a lot of talented kids the last few seasons, we survived and won a lot of games with raw talent alone and it's not like we were scheduling super tough competition either. You put in mediocre effort your going to get mediocre results. A lot of the fundamental stuff is supposed to be taught in the lower leagues before they ever get to the highschool level. You go to a Belfry little league or middle school game and see they put learning the game and fundamentals over winning all day every day and they run the highschool system. Everything is geard toward getting ready for the varsity level. We used to do things that way here, no coincidence that is the time period that Lawrence County played it's best football but people forget how things were done back then. That is why I'm excited about coach Short because I think he is serious about putting Lawrence County football back on the map and I think that because of his experience and who he played for and learned under that he fully understands what it takes and what needs to be done to make that happen. This program has gone through a lot of years of Coach's either just doing enough to field a team or using us as a stepping stone to something they think is better. I don't think Coach Short is like that and I think he is very serious about building a team and program that will clear the street's of Louisa every Friday night again like it did in the 90's. A lot of this teams fundamental problems have been building up for years and it's going to take coach Short a few seasons to get the lower leagues shaped up and get his system and ways in place.
People don't realize how when you take care of all the small things all those small things add up when your trying to build a strong program and I have already seen coach Short doing some of those small things and it is very encouraging to me. I'm not the most popular LC poster on this site and I'm not trying to be. A lot of other LC posters don't like me and that's ok because I wouldn't have it any other way. At the end of the day I don't care what people think of me and I take pride in speaking the truth and calling things like I see em and I never sugar coat things. A few seasons from now when we are playing good football and looking strong everyone will be claiming they knew it all along and will forget all about the last 5 or 6 seasons and the fact that I was right and called it all along but I don't care, I will just be happy to see us strong again.
That's the most spot on post! Double gg preach it brother. I've thought the same thing and been blasted for having the same thoughts. It was nothing against cecil the guy at all. i cannot think of one team that played solid sound defense since coach Williams left other than mcpeeks first year. Guess who the defense coach was! The truth hurts sometimes and I understand the prior coaches was good guys but good guys don't always make good coaching.
I agree. We went through the same deal. Either Coaches not teaching fundamentals and being good motivators or getting wrapped up in the politics or just not a personality that kids respond to! Like you said nothing against them personally, just some coaches and teams Click and fortunately for us Cherico got us back in the nick of time where we needed to b to continue our program! Lawrence has been going through the same ordeal and desperately Needing THAT Coach that FITS!! I believe Theyve got that good fit now! Lawrence used to be a team you heard about EVERY Friday night and I expect them to be back there VERY soon!!