Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd 2016
Any news on Boyd being any better at all? With Mullins leaving and some coaching changes, do you all think it will be any better out there? Or is Gilliams time about up?
The Lions only lose 8 or 9 seniors, but unfortunately, quarterback Tanner Edmonds is one of them. They do return Christian Braly at running back, who rushed for almost 700 yards and 9 touchdowns. Defensively, most of their top tacklers return.

They closed out 2015 on a high note with a win over previously unbeaten West Virginia 2A runner-up Tolsia. Hopefully, that has carried over into the off-season. I look for some overall improvement in 2016, but their ceiling is still 4th in their district, IMO. Maybe Boyd can capitalize on the issues at Rowan Co. and leapfrog them to grab that last playoff spot.
From what I understand, Boyd Co just received a number of coaches from Ashland. If I am correct, these coaches have played in college, coached at the college level, and played (for a time) played at the professional level. Not bad.
Who left Ashlands staff? The high school staff is very long tenured. I couldn't see any of them leaving for any job in the area. Especially Boyd.
Some of the middle school coaches. Love wouldn't let them come up and coach at the high school level. This is coming first hand. They wanted to work with the hs, but there was no room for them. They talked to the Boyd Co coaches and were offered a couple of positions. They did very well coaching the middle school the last two years. It's a shame there couldn't have been an agreement made. We lost some good ones.
Yustacould Wrote:Some of the middle school coaches. Love wouldn't let them come up and coach at the high school level. This is coming first hand. They wanted to work with the hs, but there was no room for them. They talked to the Boyd Co coaches and were offered a couple of positions. They did very well coaching the middle school the last two years. It's a shame there couldn't have been an agreement made. We lost some good ones.

They went 3-5 and forfeited their last game
A lot of injuries late and the AD canceled their last game against Belfry.
Middle school to Varsity is a big jump. Especially after 3-5, sounds like Ashland will be fine without them.
Yustacould Wrote:A lot of injuries late and the AD canceled their last game against Belfry.

Which players got injured?
Club17 Wrote:Middle school to Varsity is a big jump. Especially after 3-5, sounds like Ashland will be fine without them.

Sounds like Ashland is in trouble in the future?
Yustacould Wrote:From what I understand, Boyd Co just received a number of coaches from Ashland. If I am correct, these coaches have played in college, coached at the college level, and played (for a time) played at the professional level. Not bad.

Played at the professional level? In Ashland?
D.B. Cooper Wrote:Played at the professional level? In Ashland?

Tried out and got cut basically.
^^^simply trying out is a statement though, imo. Idk if that translate into being a good coach, but none the less, is something to be proud of.
WhyLie Wrote:Sounds like Ashland is in trouble in the future?

How so? Two middle school coaches who don't have a winning record vs a top notch proven high school staff?
Personally, I like the guys. They know what they are talking about and have a good report with the kids. I enjoy watching them coach. They are very enthusiastic and have a passion for the game like I've never seen.
How are they looking in spring practice? I heard even more coaching changes have been made. What's going on out there?
Nice QB at spring ball today. Idk who he was but he looked good. A couple decent wideouts too...should be interesting.
Boyd County 2016
8/26 Lewis County????
9/2 H South Point (OH)
9/9 ????
9/16 Russell????
9/23 H Johnson Central
9/30 A Ashland Paul G. Blazer
10/7 Rowan????
10/14 H East Carter
10/21 Greenup????
10/28 H Tolsia (WV)