Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RB Kent Phelps - Paintsville
Redneck Wrote:So whats ur point bub? Phelps is slow? He was .12 off the fastest kid of 350 from multiple states. How about being happy for the kid and realizing that these kids going and making names for themselves gives all of east KY some credibility!

It's great for Kent, a great high school player. I'm just saying he realistically doesn't run a 4.47. Quinton Baker ran a 4.29 last year at BOTMW...please. 200-300 kids at $60 is a nice payday. Very lucrative for business purposes to have kids run "fast" 40's. Is there competition? No doubt. But when running a 4.47 and there are 50 other kids that run the aound same speed or faster, then he's just apart of the pack.
jim rome Wrote:me personally, I never get to excited about 1A players.

There were a bunch of 1A players in EKY alone that could have started for Pulaski County last year.
Really good player on an off field
Been plenty of Class A players make it to the college level and do very well. Top of 1A is still good HS football.
Kent picked up offers from Harvard and Cornell
^^^thats impressive, from a scholastic standpoint alone.
Redneck Wrote:Kent picked up offers from Harvard and Cornell

Where did you see that Neck ? His Twitter page has recruiting letters from both schools, and 247 has listed him with no offers but hopefully that will change soon
There is a big difference in getting letters and getting offers
Sorry fellers, i was misinformed. TigerBlues is correct, he received letters, not offers. I haven't been on twitter in a while.
Offers will come
I have noticed from a few other sites that several young men from Kentucky have received the opportunity to play at the Ivy League level lately. An important item to remember for those considering these member schools is that there are no full cost of attendance scholarships available at these institutions. Yes one would receive a wonderful education but with the out-of-state tuition rates nearing $50,000 per year, the individual will likely have to make arrangements to satisfy the remaining balance determined by the Financial Aid Office. I still think this can be a win-win for these young men. Would you rather have an education from Princeton, Yale or Harvard that would provide limitless opportunities upon graduation and allow you to play football at the same time or potentially pay the same amount at another institution as a preferred walk-on? I think this would be a no brainer for those that come from affluent families that can afford the financial burden if that is their best offer.

FINANCIAL AID CRITERIA
Ivy League schools provide financial aid to students, including athletes, only on the basis of financial need as determined by each institution’s Financial Aid Office. There are no academic or athletic scholarships in the Ivy League. A coach may assist a prospective student-athlete to obtain an estimated financial aid award, however only the Financial Aid Office has the authority to determine financial aid awards and to notify students officially of their actual or estimated awards.

http://www.ivyleaguesports.com/information/psa/index
The bet running back to ever come out of Johnson County in my book is still Mike "The Missile" Minix.
BigMelon63 Wrote:The bet running back to ever come out of Johnson County in my book is still Mike "The Missile" Minix.

Way to go Melon, now all the JC people will turn this into a "JJ Jude is the best RB to ever come out of Johnson County" thread. No disrespect to JJ, he was a great RB and a great kid.
I love watching this kid play hell of a football player just don't know if he can stay healthy a whole season I hope everything goes good for him next year.
I never said anything bad about JJ Jude. He is a fine young man and a great running back. It is my opinion that Mike Minix was better.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I never said anything bad about JJ Jude. He is a fine young man and a great running back. It is my opinion that Mike Minix was better.
Absolutely correct, Floppy. I remember hearing about Mike, you're not the only one with that opinion. But no discredit to JJ either. Both were very good running backs. EKY has turned out some fantastic talent over the years that we've all been fortunate to be able to watch. Phelps is another dandy along those lines.
BigMelon63 Wrote:I never said anything bad about JJ Jude. He is a fine young man and a great running back. It is my opinion that Mike Minix was better.

I know you didn't. I said the JC trolls would turn this into a thread about him being the best to come of Johnson County, lol.
PHSForever Wrote:Absolutely correct, Floppy. I remember hearing about Mike, you're not the only one with that opinion. But no discredit to JJ either. Both were very good running backs. EKY has turned out some fantastic talent over the years that we've all been fortunate to be able to watch. Phelps is another dandy along those lines.

You are absolutely correct. Pikeville has definitely had their fair share over the years (Coleman, Deramus, Rogers, Sullivan, Shurtleff, Robinson, Pugh, etc.)
Never seen Mike the Missile play but even though JJ Jude as good as running back as he was would give a big edge to Tony Mayes as best Johnson Co has produced.
Kent Phelps is the real deal though and can play D1 F-Ball.
Tony Mayes played QB with me making sad attempts to block for him. He was a much better DB.