Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Appalachian News Express All County Football team (Pike County)
Congratulations to all who made the team. Just players listed as all county.

Co-Coaches of the year: Chris McNamee and Philip Haywood

Player of the year: Daric Pugh RB, Pikeville High School

QB: Wyatt Battaille, Pikeville
Seth Conn, Pike County Central
Bailey Hurley, Phelps

RB: Chandler Rowe, Shelby Valley
Xondre Willis, Belfry
Brody Johnson, East Ridge
Kasey Tackett, Shelby Valley

B: Andrew Fletcher, Belfry
Derek Wellman, Belfry
Dalton Prater, Phelps

ATH: AJ Vanderbeck, Pikeville
Donovan Layne, Shelby Valley

TE: Cody Charles, Pikeville
Matt Hatfield, Phelps

K: Austin Woolum, Belfry

WR: Clay Slone, Pikeville
Chatlin Jarrell, Pikeville
Brice Elkins, Pike Central
Michael Conn, East Ridge

OL: Logan Coleman, Pikeville
Jordan Scott, Belfry
Brayden Preece, Belfry
Gunner Edmonds, Pikeville
Justin Bowling, Shelby Valley

DL: Rayquan Horton, Belfry
Cole Bentley, Belfry
Dalton Meade, Pikeville
Chris Gunter, Shelby Valley

DB: Cody Dials, Pikeville
Cameron Catron, Belfry
TJ Dotson, Belfry
Austin Elswick, Shelby Valley
Jordan Hampton, Shelby Valley

LB: Nate Sanger, Belfry
Leighton Miller, East Ridge
Trevor Wright, Shelby Valley
Blake Charles, Pikeville
Gabe Stanley, Pike Central
Looks good.
Epic failure not listing Austin Dotson of Belfry on the OL... Kid is probably going to be 1st Team or 2nd Team All-State and they left him off.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Epic failure not listing Austin Dotson of Belfry on the OL... Kid is probably going to be 1st Team or 2nd Team All-State and they left him off.
i thought that was kind of curious. He made 2nd team on the CJ all state list. I am not sure of criteria, who selects, etc. pretty big omission though, I agree.
TJ Dotson has never been a DB. No Austin Gibbs, Cole Bentley, or Austin Dotson on the OL/TE position is unbelievable. Gibbs will go down as the most underappreciated lineman in Belfry history.
bucslover68 Wrote:TJ Dotson has never been a DB. No Austin Gibbs, Cole Bentley, or Austin Dotson on the OL/TE position is unbelievable. Gibbs will go down as the most underappreciated lineman in Belfry history.
To be fair, Bentley is listed on the DL. From the looks of this, they tried to avoid naming players at two positions to ensure they could recognize as many as possible? An example is Daric Pugh as POY, but he's not listed with the other RBs. So that's what I think it is. Still, as I've learned from these other lists, not everyone is going to be happy with them. So congrats to those who were chosen. Wonderful job to all of them.
In all reality, Belfry's entire O line could have been added to the first, or at least 2nd team because they were, and are that good. A lot of next level football teams would've liked to had the size and quality of those young men.
Big Five-0- Wrote:In all reality, Belfry's entire O line could have been added to the first, or at least 2nd team because they were, and are that good. A lot of next level football teams would've liked to had the size and quality of those young men.

Correction: Should have stated "all county" instead of first or second team. Still stand by that opinion if that was the case.
This is a prime example of Everybody gets a trophy. "All" state, county, District teams should go to the best players. Belfrys OL had the better lineman out of all of those selected. Not taking away from these kids that got selected cause it's not there fault. I'm just stating my opinion. And Thanks Bucslover68. Gibbs matvbe unappreciated with these list but people who watched the last three years knows who anchored what. I'm proud that's for sure. And the Humble kid I raised hasn't said a word other than he played hard and has Three rings.
Sounds like you did a heck of a job!!!
Let me first preface what I'm getting ready to say by saying this. All these kids are good football players, they all worked hard and their distinction IS deserved. With that said, the selection process the ANE uses is more about circulation than anything else. If a "true" list of the best players were done. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that EVERY spot would be occupied by a player from Belfry or Pikeville with very few exceptions. That could be the case every year, not just one in which both teams brought home THE BIG ONE. The problem ANE faces is that if no other player from a place NOT named Pikeville or Belfry makes it, the folks from those areas get upset and stop buying newspapers which hurts the bottom line. I'm not saying I agree with this, nor am I trying to defend ANE. It is what it is....
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Let me first preface what I'm getting ready to say by saying this. All these kids are good football players, they all worked hard and their distinction IS deserved. With that said, the selection process the ANE uses is more about circulation than anything else. If a "true" list of the best players were done. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that EVERY spot would be occupied by a player from Belfry or Pikeville with very few exceptions. That could be the case every year, not just one in which both teams brought home THE BIG ONE. The problem ANE faces is that if no other player from a place NOT named Pikeville or Belfry makes it, the folks from those areas get upset and stop buying newspapers which hurts the bottom line. I'm not saying I agree with this, nor am I trying to defend ANE. It is what it is....

I get what you are saying and it is probably true. I just never subscribe to the "let's include everyone" theory on anything. A kid like Gibbs deserves to be on the list. I am glad that I saw that he did make the Medical Leader first team O line.
bucslover68 Wrote:I get what you are saying and it is probably true. I just never subscribe to the "let's include everyone" theory on anything. A kid like Gibbs deserves to be on the list. I am glad that I saw that he did make the Medical Leader first team O line.

Belfrys entire O-Line should've made it. One of the best HS lines I've ever seen!
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Let me first preface what I'm getting ready to say by saying this. All these kids are good football players, they all worked hard and their distinction IS deserved. With that said, the selection process the ANE uses is more about circulation than anything else. If a "true" list of the best players were done. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that EVERY spot would be occupied by a player from Belfry or Pikeville with very few exceptions. That could be the case every year, not just one in which both teams brought home THE BIG ONE. The problem ANE faces is that if no other player from a place NOT named Pikeville or Belfry makes it, the folks from those areas get upset and stop buying newspapers which hurts the bottom line. I'm not saying I agree with this, nor am I trying to defend ANE. It is what it is....

This is right on the money, period.