Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks Belfry will be back next year?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Pulaski>Belfry

Last year yes, this year not even close. Pulaski run defence was subpar at best. I'm not being a homer either. I've seen both play and this year's Belfry squad was a notch above. I will definitely give them last year. Knox Catholic had a better offence than Pulaski. I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but hey, that's your opinion.:Thumbs:
Crossbones Wrote:Last year yes, this year not even close. Pulaski run defence was subpar at best. I'm not being a homer either. I've seen both play and this year's Belfry squad was a notch above. I will definitely give them last year. Knox Catholic had a better offence than Pulaski. I don't know what that has to do with this thread, but hey, that's your opinion.:Thumbs:

I am not sure give them the nod for last year either.

Southwestern beat Pulaski and may have beat them again had Edwards not got hurt... Belfry handled Southwestern with relative ease at the Reservation.

That Graves County team Pulaski only beat 14-7 in the Finals was possibly the weakest team to play in the State Finals the past two years combined. The best thing to happen to Pulaski was Graves miracle upset of Bowling Green. BG beat Pulaski in the regular season at Pulaski (without Hall it is worth mentioning)

I will give Pulaski the benefit of the doubt and call last year a draw.. maybe even a razor thin edge because most of Pulaski's misfortune came without Hall.. but I see nothing that points to them being a clear cut better team by any stretch of the imagination.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am not sure give them the nod for last year either.

Southwestern beat Pulaski and may have beat them again had Edwards not got hurt... Belfry handled Southwestern with relative ease at the Reservation.

That Graves County team Pulaski only beat 14-7 in the Finals was possibly the weakest team to play in the State Finals the past two years combined. The best thing to happen to Pulaski was Graves miracle upset of Bowling Green. BG beat Pulaski in the regular season at Pulaski (without Hall it is worth mentioning)

I will give Pulaski the benefit of the doubt and call last year a draw.. maybe even a razor thin edge because most of Pulaski's misfortune came without Hall.. but I see nothing that points to them being a clear cut better team by any stretch of the imagination.

That's basically what I was doing. I was giving them the nod for last year but feel it could have went either way with Pulaski having a slight favor. This year IMO, it wasn't even close Belfry by at least 2 scores more like 3.
Success breeds success
Pirate1991#8 Wrote:Lex Cath didn't roll over for us this year. WE ROLLED THEM OVER.

With all due respect, Lex Cath couldn't have played much worse and Belfry couldn't have played much better, but, there isn't 43 points difference in the 2 on any other night.

Take a look at Mayfield in 2010, they beat Hazard like 47-6.. The next year, 2011, Hazard beats them 24-6.. Did Mayfield all of a sudden get 59 points worse or did Hazard all of a sudden get 59 points better?

In 2013, Mayfield got a running clock before half time on Williamsburg before winning 42-0.. In 2014, it took an overtime for that same Mayfield team to beat the same Williamsburg team, 28-27.. Did Mayfield all of a sudden get 41 points worse or did Williamsburg all of a sudden get 41 points better?

In both cases, it's neither.. Truth is, Mayfield was never that much better to begin with and Hazard and Williamsburg were never that much worse.. But, in the blowout games, everything went right for Mayfield and everything went wrong for the other 2.. In the close games, those 2 yeams didn't turn it over as much, had a little success early, built some confidence and Mayfield probably felt a little too good about themselves because of the prior years games and boom, you had a completely different game..

Just saying it's real easy to get over zealous, over confident, etc. after a game like this years LC/Belfry game, so, I'm just hoping the Pirates stay grounded and not get too caught up in their own hype by their fan base as well as other fan bases and the hype, it's going to happen whether you want it or not..
KYHSFBFan Wrote:With all due respect, Lex Cath couldn't have played much worse and Belfry couldn't have played much better, but, there isn't 43 points difference in the 2 on any other night.

Take a look at Mayfield in 2010, they beat Hazard like 47-6.. The next year, 2011, Hazard beats them 24-6.. Did Mayfield all of a sudden get 59 points worse or did Hazard all of a sudden get 59 points better?

In 2013, Mayfield got a running clock before half time on Williamsburg before winning 42-0.. In 2014, it took an overtime for that same Mayfield team to beat the same Williamsburg team, 28-27.. Did Mayfield all of a sudden get 41 points worse or did Williamsburg all of a sudden get 41 points better?

In both cases, it's neither.. Truth is, Mayfield was never that much better to begin with and Hazard and Williamsburg were never that much worse.. But, in the blowout games, everything went right for Mayfield and everything went wrong for the other 2.. In the close games, those 2 yeams didn't turn it over as much, had a little success early, built some confidence and Mayfield probably felt a little too good about themselves because of the prior years games and boom, you had a completely different game..

Just saying it's real easy to get over zealous, over confident, etc. after a game like this years LC/Belfry game, so, I'm just hoping the Pirates stay grounded and not get too caught up in their own hype by their fan base as well as other fan bases and the hype, it's going to happen whether you want it or not..

I can agree with almost everything you said, except Belfry was that much better this year and that is not hype, it is fact. Who knows what will happen next year. Lexington Catholic had not faced a team as good as Belfry All year, period. Johnson Central beat them and Belfry thumped Johnson Central. The score of the game was not a fluke. Of course that is my opinion and you have yours but Belfry was a notch above the rest of 3A this year. You can't deny that. Look at the playoff scores, they all couldn't be flukes or just Belfry playing their best game and everyone else playing their worse.
Crossbones Wrote:I can agree with almost everything you said, except Belfry was that much better this year and that is not hype, it is fact. Who knows what will happen next year. Lexington Catholic had not faced a team as good as Belfry All year, period. Johnson Central beat them and Belfry thumped Johnson Central. The score of the game was not a fluke. Of course that is my opinion and you have yours but Belfry was a notch above the rest of 3A this year. You can't deny that. Look at the playoff scores, they all couldn't be flukes or just Belfry playing their best game and everyone else playing their worse.

No doubt, they were the best team in 3a, just not to the degree the score indicated.
Belfry was best team in 3A hands down and 2nd best in STATE. I could see Belfry being ranked in top 25 in country!!!
Yes that good!!
There is no doubt Belfry is a very good football team in Kentucky. With that said, they are nowhere near top 25 in the country.
Unless the schools on the east side of the Tug Fork figure out a way to hang on to their football talent, Belfry will be the 3A favorite from the east forever. Not that there is anything wrong with that.