Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Defense wins championships?
So far the lower scoring defense is 1-0 this weekend. Here's how the teams match up coming into this weekend on points allowed.
1A
Pikeville 180
Beechwood 205
2A
Mayfield 161
NCC 225
3A
Belfry 202
Lex Cath 262
4A
South Warren 83
Johnson Central 159
5A
Bowling Green 181
Pulaski 239
6A
Male 79
Lafayette 398
Sometimes these stats can be misconstrued due to strength of schedule or lack thereof.
mysonis55 Wrote:Sometimes these stats can be misconstrued due to strength of schedule or lack thereof.

True but I think that all the teams that have the stronger D's will prevail :1:
Defense is where it's at.
Defense wins games only if the Offense lets em!!!!! Lol
Think about your most dominant NFL teams. They all had tough defenses. The Giants in 86. The Bears in 85. The Cowboys of the 90's. It is the most consistent thing with all the powerful teams that you remember for years.
The teams with the better scoring defenses went 6-0 this weekend.
Iam4thecats Wrote:The teams with the better scoring defenses went 6-0 this weekend.

Telling for sure
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Telling for sure

Sort of. Teams with the highest scoring average went 5-1.
The 1 pivotal game was BG-PC. Not a huge sample size. BG's offense was no slouch after all. I think the winning coaches would say you have to be above average in all 3 phases to win rings and be great at maybe 2.
Deceiving stat for Belfry. Many games this year starters set and watched most of the games. You get a lead starters get pulled and kept from injuries
proud44pirate Wrote:Deceiving stat for Belfry. Many games this year starters set and watched most of the games. You get a lead starters get pulled and kept from injuries

Its not very deceiving when they had the better defense than Catholic and they won. How is that deceiving?
Deceiving meaning the total points allowed during the season. I think I know the score against that weak side of the state we played in the championship. I watched Belfry the last 7 out of 9 state championship games. Meaning during the season Coach Haywood calls the dogs off against teams and a few score on us that normally wouldn't have. Read the entire post. SMH
proud44pirate Wrote:Deceiving meaning the total points allowed during the season. I think I know the score against that weak side of the state we played in the championship. I watched Belfry the last 7 out of 9 state championship games. Meaning during the season Coach Haywood calls the dogs off against teams and a few score on us that normally wouldn't have. Read the entire post. SMH

Yeah I read it. Belfry shut out catholic in the finals. That's not good enough for you though. You want to act like nobody else pulls their starters and there is some level of defense better than a shutout in the finals.
I can tell you for sure in the one I watched, it all came down to defense. Their were two great teams out there and the one with the better defense prevailed. The other one just had a great defense as well and it almost stymied the Mayfield offense but, they were able to move the ball just enough to win.
Our defense has had 3 straight finals shut outs. But there is always room for improvement.
That is an awesome stat.
proud44pirate Wrote:Our defense has had 3 straight finals shut outs. But there is always room for improvement.

Yeah that's pretty awesome since Central had 7 points last year.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Yeah that's pretty awesome since Central had 7 points last year.

they got it on a fumble and scored,there offense didn't score..:eyeroll:
Part of the game. Could happen to anybody. I just add up the points.