Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For all those who think M S state championships count in H S
I'm almost certain that was the year that Peyton Puckett and boys took BG down. It very well could have been that they were flying high until BG. It has been a few years. I am getting old.
mysonis55 Wrote:I'm almost certain that was the year that Peyton Puckett and boys took BG down. It very well could have been that they were flying high until BG. It has been a few years. I am getting old.

I know the 2013 class with Tisdale, Fant, and the rest of the group didn't lose a ball game in middle school, and most all of the games weren't even competitive.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I know the 2013 class with Tisdale, Fant, and the rest of the group didn't lose a ball game in middle school, and most all of the games weren't even competitive.

As I said previously there is a direct correlation between middle school and high school success. That doesn't mean it translates into championships, but it does correlate. To think otherwise is asinine.
PHSForever Wrote:I think the point most people try to make when they use that argument, is that consistently strong middle school programs at least give you (in theory) a stronger or more experienced group to work with. If you will notice, most of those teams you have mentioned, while maybe not winning championships, have been decent or very good teams that have generated excitement for their programs at the HS level. Feeder program strength, as you have even pointed out in other posts from time to time, are what allows HS coaches to build depth without dramatic fall off from your ones to your twos, and basically provide stronger building blocks to bring a program up. Pikeville fell on hard times for a while there, and one of the most commonly credited things with their resurgence over the past few years, has been the increased focus on the feeder programs. So I think maybe those who use that argument are maybe just not getting what point they mean across.
In my experience , looking back over the years, the best feeder program has been the recruiter trail.
There are a lot of factors that effect the transition between middle and high school. There is a correlation but it's not a direct one. It takes at least a couple good classes to win it in high school. Some kids quit playing. Some schools especially ones that are traditional powers have kids transfer in from other schools. Some kids are two year hold backs who peak in 8th grade. With that said, schools that win it all at the middle school level consistently have a much better chance of winning it in high school.
It's ironic that this thread was started by the same guy who was trolling the middle school thread 3 or 4 years ago. Middle school success seems to be helping out a bit in Mayfield.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:There are a lot of factors that effect the transition between middle and high school. There is a correlation but it's not a direct one. It takes at least a couple good classes to win it in high school. Some kids quit playing. Some schools especially ones that are traditional powers have kids transfer in from other schools. Some kids are two year hold backs who peak in 8th grade. With that said, schools that win it all at the middle school level consistently have a much better chance of winning it in high school.

Pretty fair assessment, I think. Many school systems/programs that emphasize high school football also emphasize their middle school feeder programs, so there's that.

It never ceases to amaze me how much the young men and team dynamics change from middle school to high school, though. Very rarely are the "top five" players from any 8th grade group still among the "top five" as 12th graders.
Of the 48 teams left in the HS playoffs, 33 of them have played in the MS state playoffs. 68%.