Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fort Campbell
Where have they gone?
South
E's Army Wrote:South
Yeah but why? They won 3 in a row and now they're irrelevant
RicFlair Wrote:Yeah but why? They won 3 in a row and now they're irrelevant

Just a down cycle. Maybe there base General isn't big on football? Antonio Andrews graduating. They will eventually rebound. Ive heard some say the move to 3a hurt them, which IMO is bogus. The last 2 years Ft Campbell wouldn't be top 10 even in 1a, and probably not even top 15. Wait it out falcon fans, yall will rebound, and be battling it out with Paducah Tilghman again before you know it.
I've heard thar base population is declining. And that they could actually move down to 2A in the next one.
Small school success is usually cyclical as it is, but at a Millitary Base school it is even a bigger impact.

The other thing is Micah Johnson and Antonio Andrews aren't walking through that door either. Andrews is playing in the NFL now and Johnson was a monster in HS. When you have two elite HS players like that in small school football wins follow. It also didn't help moving up to 3A with a little stiffer competition, while still playing a tough schedule. Lots of losses and negative momentum that has further hurt numbers.
I know a person who coached there and he told me a long time ago that it depends on who the commander on post is, if he is a football man they will be good in football, if he is a soccer man they will be good in soccer. That may be true.
The key was losing Shawn Berner, who left in 2013 to pursue business opportunities. He knew how to utilize opportunities within the military network to get kids sent to FTCKY. Not all players were actually children of soldiers stationed there; some were living with relatives or there was a guardianship. That became pretty obvious from looking at twitter pages.

For about three years, Fort Campbell was unstoppable and it was only after Berner left that the program really lost traction. Even in the off years before, they were always competitive. Some of their recent teams have not been competitive. When he left in 2013, Berner had recorded 110 wins in 11 seasons and finished 112-31.

There has been some debate about continued funding for Fort Knox and Fort Campbell High Schools, which are the only two high schools on Army bases in the 50 states. There are two more military operated high schools at Quantico and Lejeune.
The year Berner left, many of his athletes transferred out to some of the Clarksville schools.
I would assume with multiple options in the Clarksville area some athletes are still making the choice head for greener pastures-