Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 12, Prestonsburg 7
Watched the majority of this one on WYMT2, a extremely sloppy game. Valley had amazing field position time after time, but Pburg's defense stood strong.
Pburg relied entirely to much on Frasure. He's a great back but when everyone at the game or watching the game knows he's going to get the ball time after time it makes a whole lot easier to stop them. Valley would load the boat with 9-10 players every play. Anyway congrats to Valley!
KingGotNext Wrote:Don't understand the hate on the Derossett coaches. I can't speak for the principal but I know these guys want to win games and they are truly appreciated by their players. Most people moan and groan about politics because they try to play the same political strings but get nowhere with it.
Most of you who talk about John and James probably haven't even met them, you just listen to what you hear. Both are great guys and respected by all the players at the school.
I have and I think they are fantastic PEOPLE. Great to talk to and very down to earth individuals. But so was Tubby Smith. Just because you're a good person doesn't mean you're cut out to be a coach. John has taken them to ONE state championship game in his 15+ years and they got humiliated by Bardstown in that one opportunity.

With the talent that has gone through Prestonsburg, there's no reason why they shouldn't have a couple of state titles and a half dozen appearances. If they had a Haywood, Holcomb, etc on that sideline then I believe that would have happened. Heck, the team even got exponentially better when Chirico was on staff. But for some reason he walked away and now look what's happened. He's succeeding while Prestonsburg hires assistant coaches who were lucky to win 3 games in 5 years at his previous school.

Like I said, John is a great person. Great to talk to and very personable. But I think time has ran out for all of the administrators at Prestonsburg. And don't even get me started on basketball and baseball.
BCF4L Wrote:I have and I think they are fantastic PEOPLE. Great to talk to and very down to earth individuals. But so was Tubby Smith. Just because you're a good person doesn't mean you're cut out to be a coach. John has taken them to ONE state championship game in his 15+ years and they got humiliated by Bardstown in that one opportunity.

With the talent that has gone through Prestonsburg, there's no reason why they shouldn't have a couple of state titles and a half dozen appearances. If they had a Haywood, Holcomb, etc on that sideline then I believe that would have happened. Heck, the team even got exponentially better when Chirico was on staff. But for some reason he walked away and now look what's happened. He's succeeding while Prestonsburg hires assistant coaches who were lucky to win 3 games in 5 years at his previous school.

Like I said, John is a great person. Great to talk to and very personable. But I think time has ran out for all of the administrators at Prestonsburg. And don't even get me started on basketball and baseball.

Okay, I respect your opinion. With this being said, what would you do if you were named superintendant of the Floyd BOE Monday morning?
Both teams seem to be playing better every week . Shelby valley's defense is starting to look better . The linebackers and D-line played great .
Politics are bad in the county. With that being said, I've always like James quite a bit. The few times I met John, I liked him as well. They are really good coaches and have made it to the state title game. That's pretty darn good. Congrats to Valley on the win.
KingGotNext Wrote:Okay, I respect your opinion. With this being said, what would you do if you were named superintendant of the Floyd BOE Monday morning?

Out of respect for what they've accomplished over the years, I give John the opportunity to save face and retire from the program and have a ceremony for him. Then I go a different direction and convince Chrico to come back to Prestonsburg.
Congrats Shelby Valley. :yikes: Prestonsburg maybe just a little better than I thought.
BCF4L Wrote:Out of respect for what they've accomplished over the years, I give John the opportunity to save face and retire from the program and have a ceremony for him. Then I go a different direction and convince Chrico to come back to Prestonsburg.

You know having a kid that goes to school in Floyd co and a wife that worked for the Floyd co school system for about 9 years Id say there are several things wrong with the system even worse than the sorry state of Prestonsburg's athletics..I went to Prestonsburg, played there too.. Im not going to get into pointing fingers but in my humble opinion Prestonsburg's athletics are in a sorry state of affairs right now..The basketball team is to the point of drying up and withering away..
All that aside it may be time for a big sweeping change from the top down to be honest..
Also congrats SV, good game guys!
BCF4L Wrote:Out of respect for what they've accomplished over the years, I give John the opportunity to save face and retire from the program and have a ceremony for him. Then I go a different direction and convince Chrico to come back to Prestonsburg.

What do you do with the rest? I don't see John to be the problem but that's just me.
Blacksmith Wrote:You know having a kid that goes to school in Floyd co and a wife that worked for the Floyd co school system for about 9 years Id say there are several things wrong with the system even worse than the sorry state of Prestonsburg's athletics..I went to Prestonsburg, played there too.. Im not going to get into pointing fingers but in my humble opinion Prestonsburg's athletics are in a sorry state of affairs right now..The basketball team is to the point of drying up and withering away..
All that aside it may be time for a big sweeping change from the top down to be honest..
Also congrats SV, good game guys!
I didn't mean to just get rid of John. I meant to get rid of the whole staff but I just focused on John because he's been there so long. But yeah, dump the whole staff, James included (and basketball).
KingGotNext Wrote:What do you do with the rest? I don't see John to be the problem but that's just me.
John and James are both the problem. I don't know any of the other coaches on the team, but I do know that the offense is terrible. No clue who coaches it but they definitely need sent packing.
KingGotNext Wrote:What do you do with the rest? I don't see John to be the problem but that's just me.

I see the principal Jerry Butcher being the problem. Especially after unjustly firing Shane Simpkins. Seems to me that the only program he wants to succeed is football.
BCF4L Wrote:I didn't mean to just get rid of John. I meant to get rid of the whole staff but I just focused on John because he's been there so long. But yeah, dump the whole staff, James included (and basketball).

I know that's also what I meant by maybe a big sweeping change is needed. The boat aint right, its taking on water and something needs to be done. Not saying I have the answer or I know whats best(because I don't).Just my humble opinion..Getting rid of the baseball coach was just another example to me.Im not sure what will fix it all...
Ive said on here several times that Prestonsburg is a "football school" and got made fun of for saying it..Im not saying that Prestonsburg is a football powerhouse(Ive tried to explain this) what Im saying is that Prestonsburg "thinks" its a football school and only football matters. I think I have every right to say it because there are plenty of us out there that exp'd it first hand..
I honesty wish the best for P'burgs football program. Id love to see them back on top but id also like to see Basketball and Baseball gets its due and that's not happening the way things are.
If Prestonsburg is terrible then Hazard and SV must be as well. Our boys showed they could play with them and had opportunities to win both games. By the way it was a great game and I'm glad to see Prestonsburgs continued improvement.
Good game last night by both teams. And I say that with the a nasty memory on my mind of the game last night. It was horrible for both teams and I mean I've not seen such a sloppy, bad defensive struggle in my life. Shelby Valley played like garbage in the first half. Prestonsburg didn't play much better but it was enough to go into halftime with the lead. At the half i believe the proper adjustments were made in order for us to pull out the win. Pburg came out of the half with the lead and the ball. Valley caused a quick fumble and was able to capitalize on the next drive. I thought our secondary played awful last night, our corners and safety's played horrible lastnight. To many easy first downs for pburg and the touchdown score that should've been intercepted. Gotta clean that up if they want a chance to compete for the region. Prestonsburg continues to improve as Valley needs too. Gotta couple cake walks before the Leslie county game I'll admit, if I were coach Ratliff I'd get those boys rested up and start preporation for the District Title game!
BCF4L Wrote:I have and I think they are fantastic PEOPLE. Great to talk to and very down to earth individuals. But so was Tubby Smith. Just because you're a good person doesn't mean you're cut out to be a coach. John has taken them to ONE state championship game in his 15+ years and they got humiliated by Bardstown in that one opportunity.

With the talent that has gone through Prestonsburg, there's no reason why they shouldn't have a couple of state titles and a half dozen appearances.
If they had a Haywood, Holcomb, etc on that sideline then I believe that would have happened. Heck, the team even got exponentially better when Chirico was on staff. But for some reason he walked away and now look what's happened. He's succeeding while Prestonsburg hires assistant coaches who were lucky to win 3 games in 5 years at his previous school.

One post you say they haven't done shit, and the next you want to give them a ceremony out of respect for what they accomplished. Which is it???
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:One post you say they haven't done shit, and the next you want to give them a ceremony out of respect for what they accomplished. Which is it???

Out of respect for the number of years they've been at Prestonsburg. Other than winning district titles and a few regional championships, they've done nothing.

But again, I'm trying to be respectful because they are good people.
Very proud of these boys. They continue to improve each and every week. Some might even say "that's a sign of good coaching". Between graduation and transfers this team lost a ton last year. This was seen to be a down year for the Blackcats by many including myself. I am not now saying now they are state bound, region favorites, or even the team to beat for a district title. However i have seen improvement each and every week with this team. We may not have the best talent on the field in any given game, but these boys are playing with everything they have and playing to the final whistle. After being blown out at home in the first game of the year these boys could have easily laid down and quit, but they didn't. They continue to fight and improve weekly, and for that i am proud of this team.

Keep your heads up boys and keep working hard in practice and fighting every week. They are still plenty of us out here supporting you win or lose.

Congrats Shelby Valley on the win. Good luck on your season.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:Very proud of these boys. They continue to improve each and every week. Some might even say "that's a sign of good coaching". Between graduation and transfers this team lost a ton last year. This was seen to be a down year for the Blackcats by many including myself. I am not now saying now they are state bound, region favorites, or even the team to beat for a district title. However i have seen improvement each and every week with this team. We may not have the best talent on the field in any given game, but these boys are playing with everything they have and playing to the final whistle. After being blown out at home in the first game of the year these boys could have easily laid down and quit, but they didn't. They continue to fight and improve weekly, and for that i am proud of this team.

Keep your heads up boys and keep working hard in practice and fighting every week. They are still plenty of us out here supporting you win or lose.

Congrats Shelby Valley on the win. Good luck on your season.

Why are kids transferring?
First of all, congrats to coach Ratliff and Shelby Valley. This isn't a bad loss at all for the Blackcat football program. SV has always had pretty good athletes, just seemed to lack coaching. They have that now and have played right with Pburg several times over the last decade.

I don't like how the whole Shane Simpkins deal played out either. I don't know all of the details, but the guy was bringing a lot of excitement to the Blackcat baseball program and did a lot with it while he was there. Not sure why he was retained by the administration. Very bad move IMO. The kids really loved him.

As for coach John & James, they're two outstanding individuals who know football. They can coach, no doubt about that. They aren't perfect, but who is? I don't blame them for the state of Prestonsburg athletics. Prestonsburg just doesn't field the same type of kids anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard a pad pop at one of their games. Old Prestonsburg teams were intimidating to a lot of teams. They were downright mean and didn't care who knew about it either. Those teams were loaded with athletic young men. Prestonsburg also had a streak of some of the best quarterbacks in the mountains for over a decade and some great running backs too. Just a ton of guys who could take it for 6 any time they touched the ball. The last player Prestonsburg had that could do that was Grant Anderson & Bryson Williams. They don't have any played like that on this team nor did they have that last year. Just not a good crop of athletes over the last few years. You can blame a lot of that on the grade school programs. Allen Elementery football program has been non-existent. Adams middle hasn't been what it used to be. Coaches just rotate in and out too much and you can't build anything without stability in your feeder programs. Kids just aren't what they used to be. Thanks mostly to technology. Not many want to go practice for a few hours a day when they can be playing video games or playing on their phones. The numbers are down for nearly every football program in the area from what I've seen. But Prestonsburg is a small school. They're going to have their bad years and good years.

I think some changes do need to be made at Prestonsburg. There's a lot of negativity around the administration and I'm not close enough to the situation to believe one thing or the next, but it doesn't look good on anyone.
Diogenes Wrote:I know they run Floyd County. But good Lord, how bad will Pburg tolerate their sports getting? Running out Simpkins and all?

Wow... some folks truly have short memories (and a might spoiled, to boot). I'm thinking P-burg has learned its lesson about listening to those who seem to always want "change". Change for change's sake gives nothing but 3-5yrs of football limbo.

Why are folks gunning for the Coach's D ? They've been a stablizing factor for P-burg football for going on 20 yrs now. Admittedly, this has been one of the longest stretches of not having poor talent in the trenches (2004 was the last team with a good -though not deep- o-line and d-line), but ome years the cupboard will just simply be bare (and even moreso when some kids transfer out wanting to win NOW and/or play the positions they want to play).

It isn't a slam to lose to this SV team. I was pleasantly surprised at the job the defense had controlling the SV running attack. Heck, P-burg made it closer than most predicted and could have easily won this one (SV converted a 4th and 6 inside the P-burg 30).

Confusedhh:
BlackcatAlum made some good points..Lack of feeder schools and there isn't as many grade schools there use to be..Much less in fact, I know that technically should not make a difference because of overall numbers but maybe having 30 grade school teams to cultivate talent was better than 10?(especially for the basketball program)
BlackcatAlum Wrote:First of all, congrats to coach Ratliff and Shelby Valley. This isn't a bad loss at all for the Blackcat football program. SV has always had pretty good athletes, just seemed to lack coaching. They have that now and have played right with Pburg several times over the last decade.

I don't like how the whole Shane Simpkins deal played out either. I don't know all of the details, but the guy was bringing a lot of excitement to the Blackcat baseball program and did a lot with it while he was there. Not sure why he was retained by the administration. Very bad move IMO. The kids really loved him.

As for coach John & James, they're two outstanding individuals who know football. They can coach, no doubt about that. They aren't perfect, but who is? I don't blame them for the state of Prestonsburg athletics. Prestonsburg just doesn't field the same type of kids anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I heard a pad pop at one of their games. Old Prestonsburg teams were intimidating to a lot of teams. They were downright mean and didn't care who knew about it either. Those teams were loaded with athletic young men. Prestonsburg also had a streak of some of the best quarterbacks in the mountains for over a decade and some great running backs too. Just a ton of guys who could take it for 6 any time they touched the ball. The last player Prestonsburg had that could do that was Grant Anderson & Bryson Williams. They don't have any played like that on this team nor did they have that last year. Just not a good crop of athletes over the last few years. You can blame a lot of that on the grade school programs. Allen Elementery football program has been non-existent. Adams middle hasn't been what it used to be. Coaches just rotate in and out too much and you can't build anything without stability in your feeder programs. Kids just aren't what they used to be. Thanks mostly to technology. Not many want to go practice for a few hours a day when they can be playing video games or playing on their phones. The numbers are down for nearly every football program in the area from what I've seen. But Prestonsburg is a small school. They're going to have their bad years and good years.

I think some changes do need to be made at Prestonsburg. There's a lot of negativity around the administration and I'm not close enough to the situation to believe one thing or the next, but it doesn't look good on anyone.
I watched both of those kids play several times and I have to tell you Jarred Jarrell could score running or passing at any given time also. I'd also much rather defend Grant or Bryson before Jarred. Just my imo from watching them though.
I don't no anything about the coaching problems at prestonsburg. But I do no they lost a ton of good football players last year. And it's hard to be the same team as you was last year. I thought both teams played awful. Valley is loaded with talent. They only lost 4 starting Seniors last year. They returned everyone in the backfield as well as the Qb. They will have to play a lot better than they did Friday night to be were they were at last year. Good luck to both teams.