Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taxes and Wrestling
Let me first say, I do not watch wrestling. Havent in 15+ years, could tell you who holds what titles and what the titles even are, but something I noticed years ago was the fact that the WWE list there employees and private contractors, not employees per se.
Now, if youre not aware of this difference, I honestly don't have enough time to explain it as id be here for days, but independent contractors don't have the availability of benefits that actual employees do. (healthcare, etc.)

Ive seen stories in the past about wrestlers complaining about the WWE's way of handling this but none of them brought up this difference to my knowledge with one of the problems associated with wrestlers. Personally, my wife is private contractor and signs contract to work at the places she does, so I know first hand the pros and cons of being self employed as a private contractor.

The reason I being this up is the government is getting ready to make major changes to this law. From what im hearing, and note that its the early stages, is that companies will have to change the way they identify private contractors and actual employees. I seen this coming the day I heard about the health care changes Obama brought.

My question is how will this change for wrestlers?
No idea.

I know WWE tried to sue CM Punk because of a non-compete they said prevented him from signing with UFC, and they basically said that if he was an independent contractor that the "contract" he signed was only good for term length and compensation.