Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will your school be doing to improve their facilities during off-season
This is just rumor at this point, but I have heard Russell will be getting a new field house and a fundraising effort has already begun.
I have also hred a rumor about East Ridge getting some field turf and a new scoreboard. But its just rumors tho...
Just released today, but JCHS is going to get an entire upgrade. They are getting turf with bleachers on both sides of the field and a student section in the endzone, new 8 lane track with high jump, tennis courts, new baseball field and stadium, new concessions and lockerooms for the softball team, new health and fitness center, new lockers inside the school, new ceiling tile and every classroom in the county will now be certified 21st century. Things are looking great for the future. The estimated cost will be around 3.5 million dollars.
You are right about that DevilsWIN,, the effort is already started.. The push is from previous players, boosters and some other personell..... The effort is to raise 800,000 for the turf and the next effort will be for a state of the art Field house.. There are a couple of renditions of the placement and where abouts of the new field house floating around.... The effort will be needed by all who wish to see it happen... I had heard that a substancial amount has been offered in the past but no way to prove it.... I do know that the effort will envite PAST players and ALum. from Russel to help out... Remember that the FUTURE players of the system will also gain from the experience.. That is push for eveyone to give or volunteer.
I would say that if a sign went up at the school for volunteers to do physical labor as block, plumbing or what ever.. There would be people there to help out...

I also know that Raceland will be starting their improvements soon on their field as well.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Russell really needs turf their field is horrible.
Hopefully the Martin County School board will again supply hay for Sheldon Clarks field.
Prep Star Wrote:Hopefully the Martin County School board will again supply hay for Sheldon Clarks field.

Smile Smile Smile Smile , If they put more money to support the kids they would have a an even better football program and maybe not lost so many kids to surrounding counties. The support the school board has shown around Inez is terrible. When is the last time they did any renovations to any of thier fields?
so does SW
We are researching the idea of adding crumb rubber to Betsy Layne's field. This technique makes the field more soft and helps with drainage. WE played at Pineville and it was a grass field that when you walked on it, it felt like a soft turf. Still working on the details.
CoachB Wrote:We are researching the idea of adding crumb rubber to Betsy Layne's field. This technique makes the field more soft and helps with drainage. WE played at Pineville and it was a grass field that when you walked on it, it felt like a soft turf. Still working on the details.

Nice CoachB i cant wait to play on it again.
eaglehoops Wrote:Just released today, but JCHS is going to get an entire upgrade. They are getting turf with bleachers on both sides of the field and a student section in the endzone, new 8 lane track with high jump, tennis courts, new baseball field and stadium, new concessions and lockerooms for the softball team, new health and fitness center, new lockers inside the school, new ceiling tile and every classroom in the county will now be certified 21st century. Things are looking great for the future. The estimated cost will be around 3.5 million dollars.
All that for 3.5 mil. is a great deal.
don't know how all classrooms can be cert. 21 century, when a couple of the schools look like 19th century.
Prep Star Wrote:Hopefully the Martin County School board will again supply hay for Sheldon Clarks field.

:thatsfunn
The Guru Wrote:All that for 3.5 mil. is a great deal.
don't know how all classrooms can be cert. 21 century, when a couple of the schools look like 19th century.

I thought that was a good deal too but i'm not sure if they included everything they were doing in that figure or just the athletic stuff. I agree they need to renovate a couple of schools.
We've undertaken a few projects like these and I know a little about how much it costs for such things and 3.5 just seemed low for all that. So, I added up some rough numbers, some based on experience (athletic facilities), some based on guesswork...

eaglehoops Wrote:They are getting turf

$800,000
eaglehoops Wrote:with bleachers on both sides of the field
$400,000 (conservative...can be a LOT more if they "look nice")
eaglehoops Wrote:and a student section in the endzone,
$10,000? (I'm assuming this will be a few sets of portable bleachers?)
eaglehoops Wrote:new 8 lane track with high jump
$250,000 (this is what it cost about 5 years ago)
eaglehoops Wrote:tennis courts
$250,000
eaglehoops Wrote:new baseball field and stadium,

$400,000 (again, conservative estimate; if you want 1st class everything, it'll be more than that)
eaglehoops Wrote:new concessions and lockerooms for the softball team,

$150,000 (VERY conservative guess...I know of one school that started this same exact project...estimated it at $100,000 and by the time they were done "getting it 'to code'" it was well over $300K.)
eaglehoops Wrote:new health and fitness center,
$2,000,000? probably low depending on what kind of quality they go for in training equipment. I would guess at Johnson Co. they'd only get the best stuff though.
eaglehoops Wrote:new lockers inside the school,

$200,000? probably low...there's a LOT of students in that school
eaglehoops Wrote:new ceiling tile
$25,000? Not sure what this means, but I assume at the least it's one student-accessible computer with internet access -- and that's a WHOLE lot of classrooms!
eaglehoops Wrote:and every classroom in the county will now be certified 21st century.
$500,000

$4,985,000...and that's after CONSERVATIVE guessing on some things (like the classrooms, the lockers, the ceiling tiles); it's also assuming everything in the project was mentioned.

If that whole project comes in for under 3.5mil, that contractor's going to be in HIGH demand!

Good luck to JC on this though. It's VERY good to see a school system realize the value of strong extracurriculars in EVERY area. Whatever it does cost, they will reap rewards in the future well beyond the cost!

Oh my goodness....

If Martin County doesn't do something soon... to their high school, it will no longer be an issue. I miss the Cardinals of old in B/G B-ball... and so on. Is there any truth to the rumor that the school is going to be moved due to a road? If anyone knows anything, please fill us in. Would this give the system a reason to maybe find one of those huge re-claimed areas for a whole new Sheldon Clark High School complete with the sports facilities these kids deserve... considering the coal from their county has made many a millionaire and provided energy to thousands! What did the youth of Martin County get for all that? The fact they won the region in baseball is a testament to the kids of Martin County & the fact they are willing to work hard and do what it takes to be competitive in spite of their conditions. Imagine what they could do with what everyone else takes for granted.