Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
13th Region Final South Laurel 4 North Laurel 2
Great game as expected. South gets to Hurley early and Zach Allen delivered a grand slam in the 1st inning. Great pitching from Miller and South's defense was excellent. North was a very very good team. Much better than their final record.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Great game as expected. South gets to Hurley early and Zach Allen delivered a grand slam in the 1st inning. Great pitching from Miller and South's defense was excellent. North was a very very good team. Much better than their final record.

I believe the announcer said tonight that SL loses 8 Seniors this year and NL loses 4. I enjoyed watching NL play several games this season, their pitching was really fun to watch. I hitched my star to their wagon early, thought they were going to be weak to begin with, so missed some games in the middle of their season, but then got to some more games & they got better as it went along. Their defense was stellar in most games. They had a lot of young players that were really good in my opinion. They will be back next year really strong barring no set backs or players that move out of the area. Good season for the Blue & Green! :Clap:
I would agree with most everything said except about Millers pitching, I have seen him numerous times over the last two years and last night was the most off I have seen him, he was a little wild and North hit more balls hard than they had in the past against him. Not a knock on him, he's very good, just didn't think he was particularly sharp. But the defense behind him is spectacular, when he is on the mound their infield has to be the equal of any in the state. Martin was sensational at short, making tough play after play.
For North, their biggest problem for the season got them last night, leaving runners on. They left nine on last night, five in scoring position. First and second nobody out in each of the first two innings, with no runs scored. Second and third with one out in the fourth, no runs. And in the 7th, after a Maxey homer made it 4-2, they have first and second with one out and their four and five hitters up. Hurley hit a line drive rocket to dead center that looked like it was uncatchable, but Morris ran it down near the fence for a game-saving play, then Mallory flew out to end it. What North did last night would have been enough to win a vast majority of games--but just not quite enough to get by an exceptional South team.
What do you think SL's chances are when they get to lexington? Do they have enough pitching to win it? The game I saw they were as good defensively as anyone in the state and did enough at the plate to compete with anyone. I only watched them once and I wasn't sure how deep they were on the mound? I remember leaving thinking to myself they could win a state title this year.
They are as good defensively as anyone in the state. North could not have done much more than they did last night to beat them, South made a play everytime they needed to. I don't think Miller recorded a strikeout in 7 innings but when you got that defense behind you it just doesn't matter. Martin is as good of a shortstop as you will see in this area. They will make some noise in state, I'm not sure that they will win it but they will not be a easy out by no means. If North would have won, I would have said the same about them. Their pitching staff is so deep and when they were hitting the ball. They were as good as anyone in the region.
baseballalum Wrote:They are as good defensively as anyone in the state. North could not have done much more than they did last night to beat them, South made a play everytime they needed to. I don't think Miller recorded a strikeout in 7 innings but when you got that defense behind you it just doesn't matter. Martin is as good of a shortstop as you will see in this area. They will make some noise in state, I'm not sure that they will win it but they will not be a easy out by no means. If North would have won, I would have said the same about them. Their pitching staff is so deep and when they were hitting the ball. They were as good as anyone in the region.

South Laurel got a really good draw this year. I've seen the teams they'll matched-up against, and I can't imagine they will be tested until the semi-finals. They will most likely see ETOWN or St. X in that game. If they are able to hold back some pitching for that game then they definetely have a shot at making it to the finals. The good thing is in that top part of the bracket either Madison Central or LCA will have to throw their best to get by McCracken County and McCracken will have to do the same. Without McCracken's top 2 arms they are very vulnerable and beatable. I would like to see SL make it. They are a fun team to watch and play the game the right way. It should be a good tourney this year.
baseball1974 Wrote:South Laurel got a really good draw this year. I've seen the teams they'll matched-up against, and I can't imagine they will be tested until the semi-finals. They will most likely see ETOWN or St. X in that game. If they are able to hold back some pitching for that game then they definetely have a shot at making it to the finals. The good thing is in that top part of the bracket either Madison Central or LCA will have to throw their best to get by McCracken County and McCracken will have to do the same. Without McCracken's top 2 arms they are very vulnerable and beatable. I would like to see SL make it. They are a fun team to watch and play the game the right way. It should be a good tourney this year.

The first game against 4th region winner will be a very difficult game. More than likely will be either Bowling Green or South Warren. With the 4th region finals getting pushed back until Saturday that could cause a pitching problem for the winner though.
baseball1974 Wrote:South Laurel got a really good draw this year. I've seen the teams they'll matched-up against, and I can't imagine they will be tested until the semi-finals. They will most likely see ETOWN or St. X in that game. If they are able to hold back some pitching for that game then they definetely have a shot at making it to the finals. The good thing is in that top part of the bracket either Madison Central or LCA will have to throw their best to get by McCracken County and McCracken will have to do the same. Without McCracken's top 2 arms they are very vulnerable and beatable. I would like to see SL make it. They are a fun team to watch and play the game the right way. It should be a good tourney this year.

Don't LCA will be much of a problem since Henry Clay ended their season last night!
Real Wrote:Don't LCA will be much of a problem since Henry Clay ended their season last night!

I didn't even see that. Wow! That is a big upset. Madison Central is pretty stacked, but a very very beatable team.
Leonards_loser Wrote:The first game against 4th region winner will be a very difficult game. More than likely will be either Bowling Green or South Warren. With the 4th region finals getting pushed back until Saturday that could cause a pitching problem for the winner though.

I think that whole region is overrated. Their record is good but there are several 30 game winners this year that couldn't win a game at state. I don't think they'll have an issue unless they come out flat. I seen Bowling Green play and they were pretty solid defensively but very shaky at the plate against a descent arm. It would be an ideal situation if SL could platoon their pitching staff that first game.
If South can save there pitching and don't have a complete melt down, they'll be fine. Theyre good enough to beat anybody, only question is will they.
Agree RIUG
Good luck south laurel bring back a state Championship to eastern Kentucky. I have only seen south play 3 times this year and this is a dream team. :Cheerlead
baseball1974 Wrote:I think that whole region is overrated. Their record is good but there are several 30 game winners this year that couldn't win a game at state. I don't think they'll have an issue unless they come out flat. I seen Bowling Green play and they were pretty solid defensively but very shaky at the plate against a descent arm. It would be an ideal situation if SL could platoon their pitching staff that first game.

The 4th Region must have been better than you thought as South Laurel goes down 5-3 in the 1st round.
^
Probably more South Laurel giving out than anything.
South also didn't benefit in playing in a region with mostly small schools who were all average or bad and didn't take the heat South Warren did.
SEKYFAN Wrote:The 4th Region must have been better than you thought as South Laurel goes down 5-3 in the 1st round.

I was pretty shocked to see it happen but that doesn't change my opinion. They just weren't ready to play. Upsets happen. McCracken was a top 15 team in the nation and they also got beat. Baseball will break your heart if don't come out ready to play. Madison Central was a favorite to win it all as well and they got beat by Collins first round because they thought could overlook them.
Congrats SL on a great season.