Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was the 1987 Pikeville team nationally ranked
EKUAlum05

"What I will say is this...the Lit Rating argument is a good one..but a flawed one. Until someone can find the Final Lit Rating it is essentially useless as the "end all" of discussion.

For decades now the Lit Ratings have been perceived as the most inaccurate rating used. It has long been questioned do to the "magic number" it begins with and how it weighs strength of schedule geographically. Even in the present it takes criticism and you only have to go back to last season to see ranking late in the season which had Paducah Tilghman and McCracken County among the Top 10 overall teams in the State... two teams who were exposed as having an inflated ranking shortly there after. Even you have to admit that ranking was awful at best looking back at it for two teams who probably were not within 2-3 TD's of the best teams in their respective classes.

With that said it is a valid argument made because it is the only one with evidence to back it up at this time. Until someone can either find the Final Lit or AP Poll, or post the National Ranking... it is all we can go off. Truth be told I have no clue how to find said info and frankly wouldn't waste the time to do it just to defend those Pikeville guys

If this is the only info that can be produced I will gladly say I mis-spoke based off hearsay I had always heard and that I was wrong in making such a bold statement that they were nationally ranked and ranked as one of the top teams in the entire state."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/pr...nkings.htm

Can anyone find the 1988 issue of People Magazine that talked about this team? "Boys of Fall" is what the article was called?
There's several threads about this topic lodged deep within the halls of BlueGrassRivals. Several of them have tons of references from different websites, as well as pictures of newspaper clippings, and etc.
This should get interesting real quick ........
Every team is ranked nationally. The question is, how high.
someone busted this myth earlier in another thread. There was some pictures shown of the final ap rankings that year that had pikeville around the 11 or 12 range in the state. No one from pikeville showed any evidence that they were. If your are 11th in the state of kentucky you will not be ranked in the top 25 in the
mayfield_9 Wrote:EKUAlum05

"What I will say is this...the Lit Rating argument is a good one..but a flawed one. Until someone can find the Final Lit Rating it is essentially useless as the "end all" of discussion.

For decades now the Lit Ratings have been perceived as the most inaccurate rating used. It has long been questioned do to the "magic number" it begins with and how it weighs strength of schedule geographically. Even in the present it takes criticism and you only have to go back to last season to see ranking late in the season which had Paducah Tilghman and McCracken County among the Top 10 overall teams in the State... two teams who were exposed as having an inflated ranking shortly there after. Even you have to admit that ranking was awful at best looking back at it for two teams who probably were not within 2-3 TD's of the best teams in their respective classes.

With that said it is a valid argument made because it is the only one with evidence to back it up at this time. Until someone can either find the Final Lit or AP Poll, or post the National Ranking... it is all we can go off. Truth be told I have no clue how to find said info and frankly wouldn't waste the time to do it just to defend those Pikeville guys

If this is the only info that can be produced I will gladly say I mis-spoke based off hearsay I had always heard and that I was wrong in making such a bold statement that they were nationally ranked and ranked as one of the top teams in the entire state."

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/pr...nkings.htm

Can anyone find the 1988 issue of People Magazine that talked about this team? "Boys of Fall" is what the article was called?
"Boys of Autumn"

http://www.people.com/people/archive/art...93,00.html
Well the link in the original post is just more proof it was just hogwash. Only takes 1 person to start a lie that snowballs, kinda like the story that don knotts being the most feared drill instructor at parris island, when he never even was a marine.
They were a great teams. I don't know about nationally ranked.
killbilly usmc Wrote:someone busted this myth earlier in another thread. There was some pictures shown of the final ap rankings that year that had pikeville around the 11 or 12 range in the state. No one from pikeville showed any evidence that they were. If your are 11th in the state of kentucky you will not be ranked in the top 25 in the

You speak with great wisdom :Thumbs:
killbilly usmc Wrote:Well the link in the original post is just more proof it was just hogwash. Only takes 1 person to start a lie that snowballs, kinda like the story that don knotts being the most feared drill instructor at parris island, when he never even was a marine.

Fearless Fife :biggrin:
It was debunked that Pikeville being ranked by USA Today was an urban (or in this case rural) myth in that thread months ago.

The post of mine you are quoting even alludes to that fact as I even say myself that I myself had mis-spoke off of hearsay.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:It was debunked that Pikeville being ranked by USA Today was an urban (or in this case rural) myth in that thread months ago.

The post of mine you are quoting even alludes to that fact as I even say myself that I myself had mis-spoke off of hearsay.
Not really sure the point of the thread myself lol.

It was a good opportunity to re-read the article though. A pretty cool piece.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Not really sure the point of the thread myself lol.

It was a good opportunity to re-read the article though. A pretty cool piece.

It looks like a set up to me. :dontthink
They may have not have been nationally ranked but they were a very good team. Great coach and a bunch of kids that could play.
I do know that in '87 they were ranked #1 in the state in all classes by Dave Cantrall. Coach Howard used to have that framed in his office.