Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change the foul out rule!
With basketball season nearly upon us, let me get on my soapbox again for a rule change I think is desperately needed in high school (and for that matter college) basketball. Fouling out with five fouls has always drove me crazy, I think it should go to six. I've floated this idea on here before, and was surprised to find it about as popular as an Obama-backed Democratic candidate.
But it makes so much sense to me. Is there anything worse than going to a basketball game and seeing a key player have to sit most of the first half with two fouls? I don't want to hear about developing a bench, I mean do we put a limit on the number of penalties a football player can commit? The best players need to play. Plus, it would take some influence over the game out of the hands of the refs, who (wink, wink) may sometimes know exactly how many fouls a certain player has. I just don't see the negative to it, but I would like to hear what others think.
I totally agree!
Jared Hoskins will be the X factor in this game
please change this real
The reason NBA players get six fouls is because, at 12:00 per quarter, the NBA's 48-minute game is 50% longer than the HS 32 minute game. High school players actually are allowed more fouls per game time than NBA players. Five's perfect the way it is. I personally do not wish to see basketball in HS and college become the thugfest it is in the NBA. Save that stuff for the AAU and all-star games where nobody ever fouls out, or plays defense.
I totally agree 5 fouls is plenty for the amount of time played.

The argument made earlier about a star player sitting with two fouls in a high school games doesn't add a lot to the argument, especially with the cost of a ticket at $5.00. What would be the difference of going to a pro-game and dropping $175.00 or more for a ticket and watching a star sit with 3 fouls? I'll tell you...about a $170.00, plus 5 time the cost of concessions.

5 fouls are plenty...
They need to learn how to play D with there feet, not with there hands.
There is something that I don't under stand. Way is it the refs call it one way for the boys, and let the girl go
at it. Is it the same game. But one female and the other one male. If they going to change anything. It should be that.
I think that 5 fouls is fair since high school and college games are shorter than NBA games.
Austin poindexter is back
I think if there was something equivalent to this in football where players had to sit out, folks would lose their flipping minds. I would even be in favor of a no-foul-out at all rule, just give a team two shots and the ball back for every foul by a player that is his fifth or more.
If you allowed a team to continually foul without having to sit out the games would last 3 to 4 hours. Football does have a penalty for "fouls" in yardage...you can't shoot a free-throw in a football game but you move the ball closer to the goal line and closer to scoring.

Not counting fouls would never work...especially if the penalty of two shots and the ball only counts after five fouls. That gives a coach (in theory) 25 fouls before the extra penalty counts. I kind of understand what your point is, but I disagree that it's workable.
I like 5 fouls. If you gave some teams mote it would become a wrestling match.
Van Hagar Wrote:With basketball season nearly upon us, let me get on my soapbox again for a rule change I think is desperately needed in high school (and for that matter college) basketball. Fouling out with five fouls has always drove me crazy, I think it should go to six. I've floated this idea on here before, and was surprised to find it about as popular as an Obama-backed Democratic candidate.
But it makes so much sense to me. Is there anything worse than going to a basketball game and seeing a key player have to sit most of the first half with two fouls? I don't want to hear about developing a bench, I mean do we put a limit on the number of penalties a football player can commit? The best players need to play. Plus, it would take some influence over the game out of the hands of the refs, who (wink, wink) may sometimes know exactly how many fouls a certain player has. I just don't see the negative to it, but I would like to hear what others think.

They actually do lol. Two personal fouls and your kicked out haha.Confusedinglepar