Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quinton Baker(Ashland) Commits to UK
LClion4life Wrote:Run through Lamar Dawson and Boyle Co? Wasn't the final of that game 49-7 BC?

If you would have actually read the statement instead of the team, I said 2010... not '09. Leave it to a Lewis Co. fan to screw that one up.
Emmit Brown Wrote:If you would have actually read the statement instead of the team, I said 2010... not '09. Leave it to a Lewis Co. fan to screw that one up.

Woah now, no need for the hostility. Wherever you are from must be full of perfect people who never make mistakes. :Thumbs:
Bob Seger Wrote:You never did say if you saw Arlis Beach play in high school or not...Of course he is a 4.4, isn't everybody? And of course they can all throw 90 MPH too.....lol

But anyways, it has no bearing at all what any of us think...I'm glad for him that he is getting the chance to go play where is dad did...That in its self is an incredible thing for him. A couple of years in the weight room can do wonders, I'm sure...I have always heard of what a fantastic kid he is and I hope he has a great career there. It would be nice to see a Kentucky boy do well at UK and in the SEC.
Yes I watched him was a great player at Ashland, seen a bunch of good ones. He has a chance to be the best.
Im completely disgusted by some of the comnents on this thread . A young man was offered a scholarship , & the young man finally deicided to accept that scholarship . Instead of acting rude , & jealous how about just offer congrats to a young man who gets to further his education while following his dream .......congratulations Quinton , & good luck from this Fairview fan .
pjdoug Wrote:I think most Kentucky kids would choose UK over EKU if they had the choice.

If no loyalty was given from the get go why should he drop every other school the he had built a relationship with when UK miraculously shows up on your door step with an offer? JJ had his options between several D1 schools for football and numerous for wrestling. He was a 5 time All-American wrestler, two time state champ and was honored as the KY Male Athlete of the Year his senior season. JJ was an excellent athlete and an even better young man. Things have turned out well for him at EKU. After his freshmen season at EKU he was named Offensive Player of the Future. EKU has surrounded themselves recently with a lot of great in state talent, Daniel from Scott Co., Canady from Knox, Fugate from Breathitt, etc. From how everything has turned out seems to me he made the best decision for him, not the internet warriors or the Saturday afternoon QBs.

As for Baker, congratulations on the offer. With success comes nay-sayers. Keep your head on straight, remember what got you to this point and continue to work hard.
Good things happening in Lexington! Hope the best for the young man and looks like a win win for both UK and Baker.
Bob Seger Wrote:It was what JJ did after he got through the line that made him special, IMO..

I agree with this. I watched JJ's highlights on youtube about 100 times. IMO if JJ had the speed to go with everything else he has then we would probably be playing anywhere he wanted. I think the biggest thing JJ had going for him was his vision. The kid can see everything on the field at the same time and was a genius at using his blocking.
Jarons Wrote:Both times I have seen Baker play, he always went down at first contact. I am not impressed with Baker. Hope does well, I don't think he will see much playing time at UK.

I think Baker has a huge upside. The coaching staff at Ashland is pretty pitiful. The only real coaching the kid has been getting has been from his father. The Ashland blocking system is predictable and not suited for a RB with Baker's style and skill. How many District Runner-ups does it take for Ashland to figure out they are playing 2nd rate Football???
Congrats to Baker. I wish him the best. As far as JJ Jude is concerned, I'm tickled to death he's a Colonel. EKU seems to be a great fit for him. He has a tremendous work ethic. He had a good freshman year last year and its only going to get better for him.
speed kills and Kentucky is going to have plenty of it with the addition of players like Baker.
Baker is getting an awesome opportunity and whether he plays running back, returns kicks, catches passes or whatever I believe that he will make the most out of his opportunity. And I too, like so many others on here, am very disappointed how this thread has went from simply congratulating a young man on getting a scholarship to comparing him to Jude, Beach or whoever. Arlis has had his career and had some moments during his career at UK, Jude is still in progress at EKU and Baker still has another year of high school to go, he will have an incredible year next year. He will only get stronger and faster, just like Arlis did during his career at Paul Blazer. People forget that he started out as a skinny 9th grader and built himself up to a very strong runner who could take a hit and give one as well by the time he left Blazer. Baker already has speed in excess of what Beach had, he just needs to continue getting bigger and stronger and here is to hoping he might be able to have an improved offensive line his senior year because you can be fast, strong and agile too, but if the defense is in the backfield waiting on you in in groups of two or more when you get the ball handed to you then it is very tough to make anything good happen for the offense, whether you are Arlis Beach, Quinton Baker or even Juan Thomas.
I'm Plenty old enough to rememberArlis Beach I watch him play 4 times while he was in high school. Thats when Lawrence Co was in the same district. Beach was a very good athlete but I will say this I don't think he really liked contact although he was a big kid. I remember His senior year when they came into Louisa LC had Jerad Hostetler who had signed with Tennessee and Beach with UK two big SEC signees and I remember Hostetler laying a big hit on Beach and Arlis had happy feet the rest of the night he did a lot of dancing in the back field and seemed like he didn't want to hit the hole much after that. But thats enough going down memory lane. I love seeing KY kids get the chance to play for Big Blue seems like there's not many from Eastern part of KY gets to I wish the young man the best and hope he has fun and gets a good education out of it.
Dawg Family Wrote:I'm Plenty old enough to rememberArlis Beach I watch him play 4 times while he was in high school. Thats when Lawrence Co was in the same district. Beach was a very good athlete but I will say this I don't think he really liked contact although he was a big kid. I remember His senior year when they came into Louisa LC had Jerad Hostetler who had signed with Tennessee and Beach with UK two big SEC signees and I remember Hostetler laying a big hit on Beach and Arlis had happy feet the rest of the night he did a lot of dancing in the back field and seemed like he didn't want to hit the hole much after that. But thats enough going down memory lane. I love seeing KY kids get the chance to play for Big Blue seems like there's not many from Eastern part of KY gets to I wish the young man the best and hope he has fun and gets a good education out of it.

I remember those teams and that young man, he was a load! Heck of a player!
Baker has the tools to be good but the times I seen him. He is missing the most important part of being a top flite back that is heart.
He has plenty of heart, but like I said, it is hard to do anything when you are draped at or behind the line of scrimmage due to the offensive line doing either a poor job or no job at all. Put him behind the line at Raceland or Ironton, then he can show what he can do.
Congratulations Quinton Baker....From 64SUR. :Cheerlead
Put him behind JCs line and they beat Highlands. Anyway utube has a new highlight video up from this season maybe someone can link it on this thread along with his sophomore highlights.
Baker is fast, no question. But not durable enough to play RB in D1. atleast not rt now. if he puts on some muscle he stands a chance. His best options is being a DB/returner. Hope he proves me wrong and breaks every rushing record UK has and leads us to a national championship some day. I just dont think it will happen. What is his shuttle time?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Baker is fast, no question. But not durable enough to play RB in D1. atleast not rt now. if he puts on some muscle he stands a chance. His best options is being a DB/returner. Hope he proves me wrong and breaks every rushing record UK has and leads us to a national championship some day. I just dont think it will happen. What is his shuttle time?

UK will likely use him at other positions since they are loaded at the RB position. He is faster than a shuttle Confusednicker:
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Baker is fast, no question. But not durable enough to play RB in D1. atleast not rt now. if he puts on some muscle he stands a chance. His best options is being a DB/returner. Hope he proves me wrong and breaks every rushing record UK has and leads us to a national championship some day. I just dont think it will happen. What is his shuttle time?
Scotty watch those highlights from this season. Theirs more then a few from that Ashland- Raceland game. Baker is quick fast and plenty big enough. He is bigger then the Hurd kid, the transfer from Nebraska. Now I'm not saying he can carry it 25-30 times a game but you don't teach 10.8 in the 100m
T-CATS Wrote:Scotty watch those highlights from this season. Theirs more then a few from that Ashland- Raceland game. Baker is quick fast and plenty big enough. He is bigger then the Hurd kid, the transfer from Nebraska. Now I'm not saying he can carry it 25-30 times a game but you don't teach 10.8 in the 100m

I would say he will add depth and improve the passing game.I look for Kentucky to have an explosive offense next year.
T-CATS Wrote:Scotty watch those highlights from this season. Theirs more then a few from that Ashland- Raceland game. Baker is quick fast and plenty big enough. He is bigger then the Hurd kid, the transfer from Nebraska. Now I'm not saying he can carry it 25-30 times a game but you don't teach 10.8 in the 100m

oh he scorched us when he found a bit of day light. but his yardage from the Raceland game, 188 yards on 18 carries, were padded by runs of 50, 60, and 40 yards. Now, like I said he burnt us on those plays. but if you take those away(and u can not) he had 15 more carries for around 30 yards. Im not saying he isnt a great player, he is. But in order for him to play Running back in the SEC, especially for a team that will have 2 Sophs, 1 Jr, and a Sr RB next year, I dont expect him to see alot of carries. I think he will be a situation back, returner, maybe a DB. IMO, he could be a great possesion reciever in the long run and work well in the slot. He isnt afraid to go across the middle and has good hands. One also has to consider that his 4.4 speed isnt as impressive at te next level. With DLs and LB running anywhere from 4.59-4.7s.
*DBs not DLs
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:oh he scorched us when he found a bit of day light. but his yardage from the Raceland game, 188 yards on 18 carries, were padded by runs of 50, 60, and 40 yards. Now, like I said he burnt us on those plays. but if you take those away(and u can not) he had 15 more carries for around 30 yards. Im not saying he isnt a great player, he is. But in order for him to play Running back in the SEC, especially for a team that will have 2 Sophs, 1 Jr, and a Sr RB next year, I dont expect him to see alot of carries. I think he will be a situation back, returner, maybe a DB. IMO, he could be a great possesion reciever in the long run and work well in the slot. He isnt afraid to go across the middle and has good hands. One also has to consider that his 4.4 speed isnt as impressive at te next level. With DLs and LB running anywhere from 4.59-4.7s.

the game is faster at the next level but 4.4 is pretty impressive at any level. I wonder how many players UK has right now with that kind of speed.
Speed is one thing you can't teach.

http://www.ukathletics.com/sports/m-foot...55722.html

http://247sports.com/Player/Quinton-Baker-43403