Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dean Ambrose
Where is his ceiling?

He is great at captivating an audience and is a great anti hero, but how far can he go?

Can they put the title on him?
Absolutely!

I've been wrong on Ambrose, I had the feeling that out of all the Shields guy he'd be the one least likely to succeed.

But since the split, he's been getting late 90's reactions from the crowds and is firmly established as the #2 babyface in the WWE right now.

Even with Daniel Bryan & Roman Reigns out of action.
He has been awesome to watch. He is that Stone Cold-like rebel that goes out there and causes all kinds of trouble for the authority.
Last week I was disappointed with the pop he got from throwing Cena out of the ring...
but the one he got after hitting Dirty Deeds on him after the hell in a cell match was announced was great.

I also thought that Rollins and Reigns were main-eventers and Ambrose was the odd man out - but this thing he's got going on right now is easily the most captivating thing I've seen in a long time. It honestly reminds me of the Stone Cold/Mr. McMahon stuff - not to that level... but I find myself just waiting every week for the moment that Ambrose is going to tackle Rollins and wail on his head.

Another note... Rollins is big-time as well. I thought that Reigns was the next big thing, but Rollins and Ambrose are handling the spotlight like champs.
I always thought Ambrose was the most interesting character in The Shield. Hopefully Cena doesn't get the shovel out at HIAC and destroy the best feud going in WWE right now.
Even if Cena wins at hell in a cell...
I think the Rollins and Ambrose feud will still keep going.

Rollins is destined to cash in his MITB contract and have Ambrose sabotage him.
Depends on how long before another Lesnar title defense/Cena moves on I guess. Cena's killing it for me already. But, I'm not exactly a Cena mark either. A Cena sweep at HIAC just seems like it would take to much air out of it for me. A Cena win over Ambrose, then Ambrose interference in the Cell may be a salvageable twist.
Title, maybe. But he may not need a title. I like the comparison's to Austin as the anti-hero, but guy's this is the reincarnation of Rowdy Roddy Piper. Piper created, perfected, and LIVED the loose cannon. It's truly a shame that we lost Pillman way too soon to see how far he could have taken the exact same role. History always repeats itself in wrestling. It takes a special character to get fans to buy the loose cannon gimmick, and Ambrose has hit a home run.

I'm not concerned with Dean getting a title. Piper's worst days were when they put the WCW strap on him. It limited him. I believe he can be that pain in the ass to The Authority, the top faces and the top heels all with the same support. This is why he does not need a title. He will always have foes that the fans will be drawn into rooting either for or against.
Dat Dude Wrote:Depends on how long before another Lesnar title defense/Cena moves on I guess. Cena's killing it for me already. But, I'm not exactly a Cena mark either. A Cena sweep at HIAC just seems like it would take to much air out of it for me. A Cena win over Ambrose, then Ambrose interference in the Cell may be a salvageable twist.

Cena should have no impact on how well Ambrose gets over. As long as Ambrose remains the "Never run from a fight guy" that Piper was, then he can take losses with no negative affect.
Stardust Wrote:Cena should have no impact on how well Ambrose gets over. As long as Ambrose remains the "Never run from a fight guy" that Piper was, then he can take losses with no negative affect.

I agree with that completely.
Booking Ambrose with Cena is a win/win.
Ambrose and Rollins are the future of the WWE. Those two are this generation's Rock and Austin. Roman Reigns, while good, is likely going to wind up in the Mick Foley role -- good enough to be near the top of the card, but not good enough to have long, sustained runs like Ambrose and Rollins will.
By all means I hope you guys are right, but most of the same was said about Wyatt going into Wrestlemania and the following PPV's and it stopped his momentum in its tracks.
Which, hopefully Ambrose wins and all this talk is null and void. I really want to see Ambrose v. Rollins in the Cell after the matches they have put together so far.
Stardust Wrote:Title, maybe. But he may not need a title. I like the comparison's to Austin as the anti-hero, but guy's this is the reincarnation of Rowdy Roddy Piper. Piper created, perfected, and LIVED the loose cannon. It's truly a shame that we lost Pillman way too soon to see how far he could have taken the exact same role. History always repeats itself in wrestling. It takes a special character to get fans to buy the loose cannon gimmick, and Ambrose has hit a home run.

I'm not concerned with Dean getting a title. Piper's worst days were when they put the WCW strap on him. It limited him. I believe he can be that pain in the ass to The Authority, the top faces and the top heels all with the same support. This is why he does not need a title. He will always have foes that the fans will be drawn into rooting either for or against.

You do make a good point, I do see some of Roddy Piper in him as well.

You also make a good point about a wrestler not needing a title to be great. Some characters do not necessarily need a title, and some (example: The Undertaker) are more effective when they are chasing a title than when they have the title. You look at guys like Mr. Wonderful, Scott Hall, and Roddy Piper (Pre-WCW) that did not hold the title and more often than not people are surprised to find out that a lot of these superstars did not hold the title at some point during their careers.

In this day and age people like Bray Wyatt and Dean Ambrose are the types that can just get in there, do their thing, and draw a huge reaction. They are very talented, but might not necessarliy be as effective being the champion.
Edit to the post above: One more wrestler who I don't think ever won a world title but is definitely a legend, Arn Anderson.