Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 31 Pike Central 22
Both teams moved the ball up and down the field. The difference was the Blackcats cashed their drives in the 1st half while the Hawks didn't. The Blackcat defense played lights OUT in the red zone in the 1st half.

PCC came out after the half discarding the running game and began throwing hitches, curls, and square-outs all over the place, scoring the first possession after the 2nd half kick. The Hawk QB has an excellent arm and has great timing with his receivers. Prestonsburg turned the ball over twice on consecutive possessions (one on the ensuing kick return and the other a "fumble" (see next paragraph) after a QB run for 15 yds.in the 3rd and the game got more interesting after the Hawks cashed one of them in for a score. The Blackcats though, got the game back under control with a "fumble" (see next paragraph) return for a TD and a couple drives, maintaining its 2 score lead until the end.

Two very bad calls on "fumbles". One benefitted PCC leading to a TD, and one benefitting P-burg which was returned for a TD. Though I guess it evened out, it's still something officials shouldn't miss.

:popcorn:
Great job Blackcats!!! Congratulations on your victory!!
Feeling a little better about my hometown Leslie County...against prestonsburg in a few week....Just saying #1 BlackCat Fan......Confusednicker:
Prestonsburg looked good in the first half as they took a 21-0 lead into halftime.

Second half Pike Central come out and matched right down the field and scored. Prestonsburg couldn't stop #4 from Central. He was torching whoever covered him. Central ran pretty much the same plays over and over again and had a lot of success doing it, but the Blackcat defense was outstanding in the red zone. That was the difference in the game.

The refs really missed bad on the two fumbles oneijoe eluded to. Jarrell was clearly down and Central's was a incompletion, not a fumble.

It's good to see coach John using Greene's leg as a weapon. He can really kick it and he'll be a big weapon in the playoffs.

Congrats Blackcats!
We could have tucked it in and called it a night at the half down 21-0. But we got gritty in the 2nd half and turned it into a competitive game.

As BlackcatAlum stated, the red zone was a big bugga-boo for us...I think we were down there 1st & Goal from the 5 yard line a couple times and P'Burg just played wonderful defense and turned those 1st & Goal to 4th & Goal from like 20+ yards back.

I'm proud of our team for playing hard & we are getting better and better each week playing these tough contests.

Congratulations Prestonsburg on the win...rooting for you guys!
Good win P-burg. I will see you in two weeks in hazard.. I already put in for a vacation day to watch it.
A very good win for P-Burg.

Maybe this will teach Central that you have to play 4 quarters especially when facing a good team.
Mr. Pike Central Wrote:We could have tucked it in and called it a night at the half down 21-0. But we got gritty in the 2nd half and turned it into a competitive game.

As BlackcatAlum stated, the red zone was a big bugga-boo for us...I think we were down there 1st & Goal from the 5 yard line a couple times and P'Burg just played wonderful defense and turned those 1st & Goal to 4th & Goal from like 20+ yards back.

I'm proud of our team for playing hard & we are getting better and better each week playing these tough contests.

Congratulations Prestonsburg on the win...rooting for you guys!

It wasn't just "grit" on PCC's part in that 2nd half. It was an EXCELLENT passing attack being unleashed.

The PCC QB throws about the best looking ball I've seen since Burchett played for P-burg. The Central run defense needs a lot of work, but you guys have the makings of an excellent ball-control passing attack. Those well-timed, delivered on a dime, hitches, curls, and square outs will drive an opposing secondary NUTS. IMO, the Hawks should only bother running after setting it up with the pass.

Prestonsburg did play good goal line defense, but some of it is the inherent shortcoming of a passing attack. There isn't room for receivers to work open. There is no substitute for a power running game at the goal line.

It was a strangely crazy ballgame, but it was a lot of fun to watch. Kudos to both teams !!

Great game. Mac Justice and company made it interesting in the 2nd half. That kid has a cannon, and an accurate one at that.

Glad to see the Blackcat's pull this one out. It was a much needed win.

Oneijoe said it all above. Great passing game for the Hawks. This one could have turned out different with the same attack in the first half. It didn't look like we made the adjustments to it in the 2nd half. The defense was getting pressure on Justice all night. I thought we should have jammed the wr's off the line, but maybe coach was just trying not to give up anything deep.

On to the next one.
64SUR Wrote:Feeling a little better about my hometown Leslie County...against prestonsburg in a few week....Just saying #1 BlackCat Fan......Confusednicker:

Glad you are feeling better now because you will not feel so good in a few weeks my friend. Confusedinglepar
Justice is very good. He keeps PCC in a lot of ball games.
PCC QB was a player. He exposed what I think is something the Blackcats need to continue to work on and that is pass coverage. Blackcats defended the long throw but gave the underneath route. Still PCC QB made some pinpoint throws that many qb's could not make. Better coverage than Pikeville game. May have been the plan not to get beat long and give the underneath . Did better on run but still need to contain QB on the edge. Defense still solid and improving. Still need to use all of our weapons on offense. Keep it up Blackcats the hardworki is paying off. Beat Bobcats!!!
I have watched this kid twice I stick to what I have said, he is one of the best Qbs in the MTS.
Brancher1978 Wrote:PCC QB was a player. He exposed what I think is something the Blackcats need to continue to work on and that is pass coverage. Blackcats defended the long throw but gave the underneath route. Still PCC QB made some pinpoint throws that many qb's could not make. Better coverage than Pikeville game. May have been the plan not to get beat long and give the underneath . Did better on run but still need to contain QB on the edge. Defense still solid and improving. Still need to use all of our weapons on offense. Keep it up Blackcats the hardworki is paying off. Beat Bobcats!!!

Who can blame Coach D. for giving the short routes ? A team with an offense that can consistently move down the field with the pass 5-10yds at a time is rarely seen at this level of football. Most of the time teams only pass short to set up the long pass.

Justice was very accurate, he releases quickly, and has no problem with arm strength. If his receivers run good routes and catch the ball, they only need 1/2 step on the defender as the ball is zipped in not giving the DB time to react. PCC got into trouble when it tried to run (work needed here), got too greedy on long pass attempts, and got too close to the goal line (P-burg coverage could come up with no deep ball to defend - PCC MUST find some kind of power running game).

PCC actually has a pretty good defensive secondary. It will help them in district play against Lawrence Co. (who are passing more this year), but does them little good when they play Belfry. The Pirate's offensive strength will be matched against PCC's defensive weakness. Belfry could run wild.

PCC -will- move the ball effectively against both Lawrence Co.'s and Belfry's defense with a controlled passing game. The Bulldog's and Pirate's pass defense (coverage and pressuring the QB) rarely approaches its ability to defend the run. The Hawks could have problems in the red zone, however, like it did against P-burg.

topnotch Wrote:I have watched this kid twice I stick to what I have said, he is one of the best Qbs in the MTS.

He's the best pure passing QB seen in these parts in a few years.

:rockon:
oneijoe Wrote:Who can blame Coach D. for giving the short routes ? A team with an offense that can consistently move down the field with the pass 5-10yds at a time is rarely seen at this level of football. Most of the time teams only pass short to set up the long pass.

Justice was very accurate, he releases quickly, and has no problem with arm strength. If his receivers run good routes and catch the ball, they only need 1/2 step on the defender as the ball is zipped in not giving the DB time to react. PCC got into trouble when it tried to run (work needed here), got too greedy on long pass attempts, and got too close to the goal line (P-burg coverage could come up with no deep ball to defend - PCC MUST find some kind of power running game).

PCC actually has a pretty good defensive secondary. It will help them in district play against Lawrence Co. (who are passing more this year), but does them little good when they play Belfry. The Pirate's offensive strength will be matched against PCC's defensive weakness. Belfry could run wild.

PCC -will- move the ball effectively against both Lawrence Co.'s and Belfry's defense with a controlled passing game. The Bulldog's and Pirate's pass defense (coverage and pressuring the QB) rarely approaches its ability to defend the run. The Hawks could have problems in the red zone, however, like it did against P-burg.

Don't think for a minute Thacker hasn't watched that Pikeville-Belfry game over and over. With a decent D backfield, he may try the same stack the box D Pikeville did. I just don't know what their speed is on D.
PHSForever Wrote:Don't think for a minute Thacker hasn't watched that Pikeville-Belfry game over and over. With a decent D backfield, he may try the same stack the box D Pikeville did. I just don't know what their speed is on D.

The corners and safeties are quick, but man, it's asking a LOT for those guys to handle Belfry's running game all night without help from the LBs. The PCC linebackers were not effective against Prestonsburg's running game, though the total yards surrendered would make one think so. Prestonsburg just didn't have the ball much in the game, especially the 2nd half, due to turnovers, scoring quickly on big plays (and on defense) and PCC's short passing game.

:blabbermo
PCC does not have Pikeville's athletes.
E's Army Wrote:PCC does not have Pikeville's athletes.

To be more exact, PCC doesn't have Pikeville's linemen and especially linebackers. PCC's secondary is superior to Pikeville's against the pass.

:Thumbs: