Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern 38 Somerset 7
Final
ouch
Great start to the Coach French led season with the Warriors!!! Look Stout with the running game and the D came up big on most every drive. Only score for the Jumpers came by way on a kick off return.The Jumpers came close a couple times but were turned back by the Warriors and penalties.
Did not see other thread,a mod can combine the two if you guys want.
Congrats.
I don't think this win is that impressive at the moment, given Somersets Conundrum.
Good opener for Warriors.
You had to see this coming.
Nice win for Coach French, people of Berea love Coach French, he's from here and still has a bunch if family here...congrats.
Thrillex Wrote:I don't think this win is that impressive at the moment, given Somersets Conundrum.
Guessing you just seen the score, not the game.....
Somerset has been very good for a long stretch. Are they finally having a down year?
Thrillex Wrote:I don't think this win is that impressive at the moment, given Somersets Conundrum.

What conundrum? I heard that the "suspended" players only missed the first quarter. Playing 3/4 a game is hardly a difference maker in a 38-7 loss.
Hatz Wrote:What conundrum? I heard that the "suspended" players only missed the first quarter. Playing 3/4 a game is hardly a difference maker in a 38-7 loss.

It might not have made that big a difference if they'd played all 4 quarters you're probably right, but 14 going on 21 points we're put up in the 1st. They dug themselves a hole and it's hard to climb out of that. The jumpers are extremely young, they'll get better every week. Somerset had 5+ freshman on the field most of the night, a completely new starting five offensive line, 3 new linebackers, 3 new d lineman, 3 new in the secondary, 2-3 new receivers, and their backfield was hurt by the loss of doan. They're very talented just very very young. It may not be this year but they will be back on top soon.
Josh Cornett for Somerset was very good as a Freshman!!! One of the better I have seen! Also #5 Tevis and Logan Gadberry looked good! Gadberry hit the hole very hard and dropped his hips well on cuts, he would be my number one back unless #8 Cornett moved to rb! Canaan Reynolds looked good also when he was in at linebacker! Somerset will be very competitive come District! Chase Madden #12 and Tristian Purcell #4 are also very young! Castle Hatcher is a stud and will have a great year at QB!
Somerset started out slow against PC last year and was 2 points from a state title appearance! These boys are young and full of talent and will represent well come play offs!
What I was most impressed with was the crazy SW parents were not yelling at the bench from the sidelines last night........but I will not get to excited as it was only the first game playing against what most see as a glorified middle school team.
Maybe a win did every one some good.
Lilly why do you hate SW so bad?
How young do you think SW is???? Just as young..... The starter wouldn't have made a difference. French is a Class act, and a smart coach. SW barely had to turn the page in the play book... This score could have easily been 50-7....
SouthSider Wrote:How young do you think SW is???? Just as young..... The starter wouldn't have made a difference. French is a Class act, and a smart coach. SW barely had to turn the page in the play book... This score could have easily been 50-7....

Great point. If Southwestern were allowed to play in Class 2A, they would easily be a state title contender.
Gitback Coach Wrote:Great point. If Southwestern were allowed to play in Class 2A, they would easily be a state title contender.
Very true... Glad they had the opportunity to play a crosstown rival. Its a good little warm up for some real teams..
SouthSider Wrote:Very true... Glad they had the opportunity to play a crosstown rival. Its a good little warm up for some real teams..

Agreed. If by "real" teams, you mean schools at least half the victors' size then yes, "real" teams await the Warriors, and Coach French certainly will win his fair share.

I first met/watched Larry French when he was the head coach at Mercer County back in the mid-80s, and while he went from there to Meade, to Lincoln and then to Boyle, I've always admired/respected his approach to the game. He's old school and does a tremendous job. I wish him and the Warriors nothing but the best this season and would love nothing more than to see him "shock the world" with a win over Pulaski (preferably, in the playoffs, just for effect). So good luck this fall.

Somerset will improve. They always do. As a Middlesboro grad and long-time SEKY high school football fan, I have a soft spot for the traditional, small-school mountain programs like Middlesboro, Pineville, Corbin, Somerset, Harlan, etc. There are many more small schools I would love to include in that list like Lynch, Elkhorn City, Johns Creek, Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, etc., but they're all gone now. The ones cashing the checks keep telling us that's "progress." Whatever. I admit, I have my doubts.

As always, times are a-changing. And of course, no need to create the appearance of dancing on graves. Best of luck to both schools.
SouthSider Wrote:Very true... Glad they had the opportunity to play a crosstown rival. Its a good little warm up for some real teams..

Somersets track record against larger school competition, including southwestern and Pulaski whom somerset owns an overall winning record against speaks for itself. Down years happen, and no southwestern is nowhere near as young as the jumpers, nor as inexperienced.
JumperPride1 Wrote:Somersets track record against larger school competition, including southwestern and Pulaski whom somerset owns an overall winning record against speaks for itself. Down years happen, and no southwestern is nowhere near as young as the jumpers, nor as inexperienced.

Keep your head up JumperPride! I still believe Somerset is very talented and if there is a coaching staff that can get a young group of players coached up and ahead of schedule it is Somerset. Keep chopping brother!!!!
Briar jumper bd Wrote:Lilly why do you hate SW so bad?

I love SW. I dont like the crazy parents and ex coaches who make our school look bad.
Somerset will get better as the year goes on. Solid win for Southwestern.
Well I think swhs warriors rocked the house... there is more to come for this bunch of young men and those fantastic coaches...
Lilly Wrote:I love SW. I dont like the crazy parents and ex coaches who make our school look bad.

I like crazy people :yikes:Confusednicker:
pjdoug Wrote:I like crazy people :yikes:Confusednicker:

You should being from Whitley.