Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What teams or programs are the most overrated and underrated in the mountains?
Who is it and why? I'll give mine later.
Knox Central. They had 2 really good years in the last 20. Both was under Mills and could not win the district.
Should say mountains sorry I believe a mod can correct that for me.
Betsy Layne looks like a team on the rise that you don't hear much about. I'd say Pike Central is also a little undervalued, mainly because they live in Belfrys back yard. Reminds me a little of Cov Cath living in Highlands shadow. If I had to pick a 3rd underrated team, I'd probably go with Pulaski Co. They're a really, really solid team and have been for several yrs, but, until they made it to state last year, not to many people were giving them there just due.

Not sure about overrated teams, maybe Ashland. They seem to be highly rated in there class most years, then get outmanned in the playoffs to the better teams. Raceland is another that always seem to have high expectations to ultimately fall short of them. Pikeville, in recent years sort of fit that bill, as well.

Not sure all these teams would be considered Mtn teams, I'm more speaking of teams from the eastern part of the state in general. Also, let me make it known, I'm not trying to be critical of any of those teams, just that they always seem to be some of the most highly ranked and thought of teams in the area that haven't typically lived up to there billing, even though they're still solid programs.
I would agree with about all of your assessment and this thread certainly isn't meant to be overly critical. I look at teams and see how those teams are usually looked at by their own fans and then by other fans, how does their annual ranking compare to how they finish every year, and what all have they accomplished or not accomplished over the years...good points.
Over the past 15-20 years I would say the most over valued program is Corbin.

Pburg is the program that doesn't receive the attention or respect they really have earned.
KYHSFBFan Wrote:Betsy Layne looks like a team on the rise that you don't hear much about. I'd say Pike Central is also a little undervalued, mainly because they live in Belfrys back yard. Reminds me a little of Cov Cath living in Highlands shadow. If I had to pick a 3rd underrated team, I'd probably go with Pulaski Co. They're a really, really solid team and have been for several yrs, but, until they made it to state last year, not to many people were giving them there just due.

Not sure about overrated teams, maybe Ashland. They seem to be highly rated in there class most years, then get outmanned in the playoffs to the better teams. Raceland is another that always seem to have high expectations to ultimately fall short of them. Pikeville, in recent years sort of fit that bill, as well.

Not sure all these teams would be considered Mtn teams, I'm more speaking of teams from the eastern part of the state in general. Also, let me make it known, I'm not trying to be critical of any of those teams, just that they always seem to be some of the most highly ranked and thought of teams in the area that haven't typically lived up to there billing, even though they're still solid programs.

:thatsfunn:thatsfunn
ArchieAdams Wrote:Knox Central. They had 2 really good years in the last 20. Both was under Mills and could not win the district.

Yes they did have 2 good teams. The reason they didn't win the district is because of who was in there.
Without a doubt Johnson Central is the most overrated.