Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who would like to see a Williamsburg vs Whitley game and why.
Did this just because off the williamsburg fans on the Whitley forums smacking and the Whitley fans on williamsburg forums smacking... these two teams in reality will never play each other but it makes for a good conversation piece.
Not me.
Nothing to gain for Whitley.

It would be like playing Lynn Camp all over again.
We played back in my day, never lost a game to Whitley in my 4 years...Williamsburg has had some teams that would win over the the last 20 years or so and I promise would be more competitive than LC...I don't see where either team benefits from playing today other than a really good gate...
it would be a huge ticket $$$ game and it does not effect anything in the playoffs i think a king williamsburg game to open up the season every year would be a huge income to both teams
could be like a middlesboro vs bell co game or a somerset vs pulaski co game where the stadiums are standing room only... but other than a ticket game and bragging rights it means nothing although i do think it would be a good spectators game
Defense Wins Wrote:Did this just because off the williamsburg fans on the Whitley forums smacking and the Whitley fans on williamsburg forums smacking... these two teams in reality will never play each other but it makes for a good conversation piece.

Confusednicker:
I'd rather see Whitley County play Corbin
pjdoug Wrote:I'd rather see Whitley County play Corbin

That's not going to happen as long as Jewell is at Corbin!
Why does Williamsburg want to play weak schedules again? This team was 1-9. Come on man.
Lynn Camp has beaten Whitley County more recently than they have Williamsburg. Old Jacket I didn't think Whitley played football in the 50's.
mysonis55 Wrote:Why does Williamsburg want to play weak schedules again? This team was 1-9. Come on man.

check the schedule this 1-9 team played with a young team and multiple injuries
:gtfo:
Whitley County Highschool opened in 1963.
You got to watch Old Jacket. He is getting senile. He probably truly believes he played Whitley when he was in school. He is almost as old as Elmer Patrick.
If I am not mistaken, Whitley's all time record against Corbin is 0-15 with the last game coming in the early 80's.
I also think Whitley never beat Wburg as well, but that has been over 30 years ago since they played.

This is a lot different place than it was 30 years ago. Whitley was just a shell of itself with about a quarter of the enrollment it has today.
OldJacket Wrote:We played back in my day, never lost a game to Whitley in my 4 years...Williamsburg has had some teams that would win over the the last 20 years or so and I promise would be more competitive than LC...I don't see where either team benefits from playing today other than a really good gate...

Whitley won the 74 season I think but for sure 75-76-77 seasons and the series stopped. They played 1 more time around the 86 season, cant remember for sure. Wburg won the game 8-0. They have not played since. From 63-73 I'm sure Wburg had the series advantage but I believe Whitley won or tied a time or 2 in there.
footballfever Wrote:Whitley won the 75-76-77 seasons and the series stopped. They played 1 more time around the 86 season, cant remember for sure. Wburg won the game 8-0. They have not played since. From 63-74 I'm sure Wburg had the series advantage but I believe Whitley won or tied a time or 2 in there.

Good info. I wasn't sure about it.

I do know Whitley is 0-15 all time vs. Corbin.

I couldn't remember the Wburg series.
I have a list of Whitley opponents and there win loss record against each but I have no clue where it went.
^
I'd like to add that in that 0-15 mark to Corbin, one of the last times we played was 1981.
Whitley was district champs and hadnt lost a game all year, then came Corbin and beat Whitley something like 49-0? Corbin was brutal in those 3-4 years they were winning titles.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Good info. I wasn't sure about it.

I do know Whitley is 0-15 all time vs. Corbin.

I couldn't remember the Wburg series.
I have a list of Whitley opponents and there win loss record against each but I have no clue where it went.

I think Whitley also won the 74 season.
mysonis55 Wrote:Why does Williamsburg want to play weak schedules again? This team was 1-9. Come on man.

Who mentions anything about playing a weak schedules.I would have love if Williamsburg had Whitley the last 3yrs,work this out for next year guys :Cheerlead
OK. Williamsburg won in 72. Tie in 73. Whitley won 74-77
Whitley is a different animal than they were in the 70s and early 80s. KERA changed the money. Whitley no longer has just the head coach and one assistant. They have great facilities, equipment and plenty of coaches. Ed Travenny and Sam Schaefer would love the opportunity to coach at Whitley now.
Look for winning programs to put on your schedule if you want to continue to improve. That is all I am trying to say.
mysonis55 Wrote:Look for winning programs to put on your schedule if you want to continue to improve. That is all I am trying to say.

I agree but you still need to have more player I think Williamsburg has about 103 boys enroll at Williamsburg 42 plays :HitWall:
It won't hurt them to continue to play a tougher schedule. Who knows, you enrollment might increase as you get better.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:If I am not mistaken, Whitley's all time record against Corbin is 0-15 with the last game coming in the early 80's.
I also think Whitley never beat Wburg as well, but that has been over 30 years ago since they played.

This is a lot different place than it was 30 years ago. Whitley was just a shell of itself with about a quarter of the enrollment it has today.

Whitley just had a quarter of its current enrollment in 1983? Less than 300 students? I thought Whitley was 3A then. I would have been surprised if Whitley ever had less 800 students.
HDE Wrote:Whitley just had a quarter of its current enrollment in 1983? Less than 300 students? I thought Whitley was 3A then. I would have been surprised if Whitley ever had less 800 students.

I'm talking overall numbers.
When the schools consolidated, I think (dont hold me to this) that Whitley only had around 500-600 kids in the high school.
A quarter of the size was not a good use of words by me. I admit that.

I will say that they were about half the size.
E's Army Wrote:Whitley is a different animal than they were in the 70s and early 80s. KERA changed the money. Whitley no longer has just the head coach and one assistant. They have great facilities, equipment and plenty of coaches. Ed Travenny and Sam Schaefer would love the opportunity to coach at Whitley now.

Just curious if anyone could put a composite together of all coaches from beginning until now, with who was assistants under each.
Footbalfever would probabaly have the best shot. We were actually just talking about a team in the 80's yesterday.

There is only a little over 20 years to fill in.
Campbell took over in 89.

At one point, I think all of the coaches pictures were hanging somewhere around the lockerroom or weight room at one point.

I know I'm forgetting one coach in the early days, mid to late 60's I think.
footballfever Wrote:OK. Williamsburg won in 72. Tie in 73. Whitley won 74-77

I would imagine the series is about dead even with that info.
pjdoug Wrote:Whitley County Highschool opened in 1963.

First year of varsity ball was 64 I think.
This next season will mark 50 years of football.
I think I've written before that Perky Bryant, a former Evarts star who went on to play at UK, was the first head coach at Whitley.