Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler 28 - PRP 3 F
Final
Congrats Butler.
Speedy Joe Brown may be stopped for three quarters, but it's hard to stop the senior running back from Butler the whole game, and Pleasure Ridge Park's football team learned that lesson Friday night.

Brown broke loose for touchdown runs of 59 and 52 yards early in the fourth quarter to propel the Bears to a 28-3 victory over archrival PRP in a Class 6-A, District Three matchup at Butler's Leonard Bloss Field.

By winning, Butler improved to 6-2 (2-0 in the district) going into next week's game against Seneca. PRP, the state 6-A runner-up last year, fell to 3-5, 0-2.

"The thing about Brown is that he and Tavaughn Morton have worked out at 6 a.m. each morning during the summer for the last four years,'' Butler coach Gary Wheeler said. "What they get they earn.''

Morton got in the scoring act when he returned a PRP punt 43 yards for the final touchdown that came with 2:46 remaining in the game. Demondre Blanks, an outside linebacker for Butler, got the ball rolling when he grabbed a fumble and ran 42 yards to score, giving Butler its first lead at 7-3 with 11:48 left in the fourth quarter.

"I saw the loose ball and daylight, and I took off,'' Blanks said of his first high school TD.

On Butler's next possession, Brown broke a couple of tackles just past the line of scrimmage and headed for the end zone, which he reached with 9:04 left to play. On the Bears' next possession, Brown skirted left end for 52 yards for a 21-3 lead with 7:02 remaining.

"PRP was keying its defense on our young quarterback (sophomore Chris Ramsey), but I had a talk with my offensive line at halftime and I told them to keep pushing," Brown said. "My first score was a straight run. I saw my blocking ahead and daylight. On my second run I saw that my line was pushing and I did what I had to do.''

"It was a great three quarters, but we knew they were explosive,'' PRP coach Jason Hiser said. 'We had them out of their playbook for a while. We had a great first drive, but once Butler got momentum we got hit times in a row. It was hard for us to bounce back.''

PRP drove 41 yards in 14 plays on its first possession, which ended with Dylan Albright kicking a 35-yard field goal for a 3-0 lead.

Brown only gained 21 yards on his first seven runs but wound up with 138 yards on 14 carries.

Butler won using Ramsey, its second-team quarterback. Starter William Johnson was hit in the head against Southern last week and Wheeler decided to keep him out "until he's completely healed,'' the coach said. "Ramsey did well. He led us to a win. He handled a lot of pressure great.''

PRP 3 0 0 0 - 3
Butler 0 0 0 28 - 28

PRP - Dylan Albright 35 field goal; Butler - Demondre Blanks 42 fumble recovery (Aaron Miles kick); Butler - Joe Brown 59 run (Miles kick); Butler - Brown 52 run (Miles kick); Butler - Tavaughn Morton 43 punt return (Miles kick).

PRP B
Total yards 179 202
First downs 9 9
Rushes-yds. 36-137 20-171
Comp-Att-Int 9-18-0 5-16-0
Passing yards 42 31
Fumbles-lost 1-1 0-0
Penalties-yds. 11-85 4-20
Punts-avg. 7-37.7 6-36.0

http://lms.usatodayhss.com/louisville/ar...tball-28-3
Butler should win this district win a win over Seneca next week.