Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry-38 Pulaski Southwestern-27
Final

This was a good test for Belfry on the road
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not pretty..but Pirates survive a scare.

Mixture of Belfry getting a bit lackadaisical after jumping to a quick lead against an opponent they were expected to handle, a Southwestern team who is not as bad as their 0-4 record appears, and some unfortunate bounces and this game was tight until late.

Hats off to Southwestern as they took advantage of some Belfry miscues and also made some darn fine plays. In the end Belfry rides Austin Hatfield and gets 3 big defensive stands in the 4th to take care of it.
Belfry 461 rushing yards, 532 total
Hatfield 20 carries, 165 yards, 2TD
Johnson 10 carries, 130 yads
Warren 5/9, 71 yards

Meece 5/13 30 yards, 11 carries, 46 yards
Stigall 10 carries, 112 yards, 4 TD
Campisato over 100
Over 300 rushing yards
Hmmm so a bad Southwestern team was able to give the almighty Belfry a game. Sounds like either Southwestern isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be or Belfry isn't the juggernaut they're made out to be. Probably a little of both. - See more at: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/sho...9rc68.dpuf
Southwestern is not a bad team... Belfry is still in good shape..they gained over 500 yards despite Southwestern having a few time consuming drives... the Pirate defense simply did not play to the level they should.

Southwestern never quit.. and a deep fumble as well as the long TD run where the Belfry defense thought they had the back tackled for a loss helped make it a closer game than it should have been. Pirates also seemed to let off the gas a bit after jumping out 10-0 real quick.

Lots of credit to Southwestern though..their backs were lightning quick and played hard.
Plus don't forget the 17 hour bus ride (it seems that long) between Somerset and Belfry, hard to be 100% on your game after that ride. Belfry will be alright and SW may get a bounce or two and shock a team or two this season.
I say the long bus ride was the factor in this one probley why belfry came out flat but a win is a win
Congratulations, Pirates!
Congrats Pirates. Now time to go to work Monday and fix the mistakes and lay it to Pikeville next Friday. GO BELFRY!!!!
eagles2011 Wrote:I say the long bus ride was the factor in this one probley why belfry came out flat but a win is a win

The thing is Belfry didn't come out flat...they put up 10 points and forced a 3 and Out in no time flat... I think that was the bigger issue. Simply think Belfry took their foot off the gas. Southwestern drove the ball and scored..then Hatfield did something you may not see again... he was stripped :yikes: and Southwestern took over inside the 20. Once Southwestern got the momentum they kept it by playing hard and Belfry continued to give them new life with borderline atrocious tackling and some costly penalties on both offense and defense(that were all the right call).

Bottom line is Belfry did what Belfry does offensively save the two fumbles and some mental mistakes. Defensively this was the performance most expected in week 1 or 2 and it probably will be a lot more beneficial that the Pirates were surprisingly in a dog fight and had to play 4 Quarters while looking ugly. Belfry crew had nothing but positives about the Southwestern backs. Really a testament to their HC that they continue to fight until the end in these games they are a heavy underdog.
SW is a lot better than they were being given credit for.
Southwestern played great tonight, they just ran out of gas in the end. Andy Stephens and the Warriors will be a team to watch out for when district play starts.

It's another tough loss for the Warriors, but I think they will be fine by the end of the year.
This scores is a lot closer than I thought it would be. Congrats to the Warriors for hanging tough!!

Good job Pondy Pirates!!! A seventeen hour bus ride Wink and you're still bringing a nice victory home to Belfry!
Heard Justin Johnson got injured tonight but wasn't too bad? What happened to him?
Got to say Belfry without a doubt played the best team they have so far this season tonight. Southwestern has everything needed to win, big and strong line that controlled the game and some really hard running backs. They took it to us in every way of the game. Belfry didnt not deserve to win the game. Start off to a 10-0 lead and then left off the gas my butt. Southwestern didnt have any quit in them like we have seen in our other games this season. They fought back and hit Belfry in the mouth. Would not be surprised if Southwestern gets it turned around quick.
Defense got pushed around a bit from the sound of it. I was traveling and had to get up to speed by EKU update thread. Who was playing in the secondary late? Belfry is giving up far too many big runs.

What was the nature of Johnson's injury? I certainly hope it wasn't a blow to the head.
Johnson played after the injury. Made a couple of good runs after he came out. The secondary played pretty good having to come up and make tackle. Taylor made one open field tackle after the QB got out of the pocket. If he hadnt made it the QB had an easy score. Southwestern really shot thereselves in the foot. With a celebration penalty by diving into the endzone when no one was around him, closes Belfry man was at least 10 yards behind him and then Belfry got stopped well short of the first down but a player grabbed and pulled Sani down by the facemask or they would've gotten the ball at mid field. Belfry made them pay for it by taking the ball on down and scoring. So its like they gifted wrapped two td's for us. Plus Wellman put some big punts up again for us.
Congrats to Belfry. A win is a win. I've got to say that they are definitely the best team the Warriors have faced so far. Maybe the Warriors are better than they're being given credit for and maybe Belfry was a little sluggish from being on the bus so long (even though they left school at 1:00 and got to the Reservation in plenty of time to get loose). SW has played 4 tight games and gets better each time. They're by far the hardest working team I've watched play and quit isn't a word they use. Who knows what the future holds when district play starts but I think they're going to surprise some people.
Good effort by the Warriors. Hopefully they can finish off one next week and pick up a W. Belfry just keeps rolling along. I'd say being pushed in this game will get their attention and help them refocus on winning the big prize.
Glass half empty for proud44pirate, but to be realistic...you have 4 new O-line starters, two new linebackers...new wideout and tight end...two new secondary players and 6-7 freshman(Bentley, Hall, Catron, Woolum, Horton, and Fletcher) and throw in Kalob Whitt getting some defensive snaps last night, and it is unbelievable that the Pirates have done what they have done...3-0...32 points/game...370 yards per game on the ground and POTENTIAL...everywhere...No trophies are awarded in September...Belfry is exactly where they want to be...talented with much room for improvement also.
Southwestern will get that 4 seed in that district.
District 7 could possibly run the table on district 8 this year if a team like Southwestern can pull an upset over Harlan County.