Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP Marty Gibson
Wrestler dies before match in Cumberland

CUMBERLAND, Ky. (WYMT) - He was king of the ring, and his death has stunned a community.

Local wrestling star Marty Doyle, better known to his fans as Rock 'n' Roll Marty Gibson, died of a massive heart attack during a performance Saturday night in Cumberland.

Rock 'n' Roll Marty Gibson was in his hometown of Cumberland Saturday along with his fellow Traditional Southern Wrestling stars. T.S.W. crew members say Gibson loved life and loved to wrestle.

"He was about the best opponent that I've ever been in the ring with," said fellow wrestler the Masked Superstar. "I mean he could take beatings that you wouldn't believe."

The group was holding a fundraiser for the middle school football team. They were also sharing with kids their Shout Drug Free anti-drug program.

"He wanted to do all he could to keep a kid off drugs," said wrestler Reed Murphy, also known as Wild Willy.

Marty and the gang were busy outside the ring warming up the crowd when the unthinkable happened. He fell to the ground and never got up.

Family members say they are in shock, and still can't believe he is gone.

"He definitely gave his life doing what he loved, and he wouldn't have wanted it any other way. I'm sure he's smiling about this right now," said his son Marty Doyle.

Legend, hero, family man ... just a few of the words those closest to him use to describe Marty Gibson.

"And I'll never forget he was my friend," Murphy said. "It may sound a little selfish but I loved him with all my heart."

Rock 'n' Roll may be gone, but folks we talked to say the music he made will live on.

Coaches say plans are in the works for a memorial to be painted on the football field, and a memorial service which will be held September 14th during the Ray Jenkins Bowl.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
That's sad to hear, I wish his family well.

I don't know who Marty Gibson is, but he is not part of the original Rock & Roll Express. That was Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton.
Stardust Wrote:That's sad to hear, I wish his family well.

I don't know who Marty Gibson is, but he is not part of the original Rock & Roll Express. That was Robert Gibson and Ricky Morton.

That's what I was thinking.

Sorry to hear about this wrestlers tragic death, but I didn't think he was a member of the original Rock & Roll Express.
After looking at story it is Robert Gibson. A typo by Wkyt.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Looks like this person's real name is Marty Doyle, wrestled as Marty Gibson. It states that Marty was 53 and from Cumberland KY. Robert Gibson's real name is Ruben Cain, 55 from Pensacola FL. I'm pretty sure this is not the same person. In either case, it's tragic none-the-less to pass at the event doing something that he loved.
Stardust or another administrator please rename thread. My apologies! Still tragic!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

^ It's all good.