Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Report Raceland 40 East Carter 14
Last night I made the long drive from Buckeye Lake, Ohio to Raceland high school to take in the battle between East Carter and Raceland. This was my first trip to Raceland and I have to say the people was very nice as well as the coaches I was introduced to. The cheerleaders were loud and very good at what they did. The band was small but pretty good.

As for the game it was the blowout that many predicted it would be. In my opinion the giggest reason for this was the talented lines of the Rams lead by big bad Nevan Johnson (6-4-290 and his counter part, the big one known as Mac Boggs (6-4-248). They combined with the rest of the big agile line to cause problems all night long for East Carter.

The game started off really bad for the visitors, as they fumbled the opening kickoff and the Rams pounced on it, at the nine- yard line. The West Carter defense would stand tall, as they held the potent Rams offense to zero points. All in all the Rams managed only seven yards on the drive.

The Rams defense would do even better the first time they took the field for the 2013 season. They allowed just one- yard to the Raiders offense. Right away you could see the Rams defensive line was going to cause huge problems for the much smaller and slower offensive line of the Raiders.

The Rams offense would get their first big play at the 7:56 mark of the opening quarter. That came in the shape of a seventeen- yard pass play where Adam Elkins (5-11 163 sr) hooked up with a very nice looking player in, Conner Messer (6-3-161 Junior. One of the Raceland coaches and a very knowledgeable moderator on Bluegrasspreps.com told me before the game that kid was a stud. He was all of that and more last night. If not for a very nice tackle by Cole McClian the play would have gone for a score.

The Rams would end the five-play twenty-six- yard drive, with a one -yard sneak by Elkins. A two-point conversion was good, when #12, Zack Litteral busted in for the score. With 6:42 showing on the opening quarter the Rams had a, 8-0 lead.

The Rams defense would continue to flex its muscles the next time they hit the field. Mac Boggs and Brady Harris (5-8 160 Senior) sacked McClain for a ten-yard loss, with 6:25 left in the quarter.

Then Alec Risner (6-1 283 Senior) hit Zach Cathey for a four-yard loss. From there the defense would force a punt from the Raiders.

It looked like Nevan Johnson got a nice block to spring Elkins to a nice fifteen -yard gain, with 4:50 showing on the scoreboard clock.

Just thirty-five seconds later Elkins would be hit for a five-yard loss by, Chase Felty. 3:32 showed on the clock when Daylin Beach (6-0 180 Senior) went for a twenty-one-yard touchdown. He had to break several tackles on his way to the score and keep from being held to a big loss. The point after by Messer was missed leaving the score, 14-0. The missed point after was the beginning of the only big weakness the Rams would show all night.

The Rams offense was back at it with 1;47 left in the opening quarter, when Elkins hooked up with Messer for a twenty-nine-yard gain. If Raceland had thrown the ball more in Messer's direction the talented player could have had 300 yards or more. He simply could not be contained by the Raiders defense.

Beach would show some nice skills with 1:21 left in the quarter as he easily picked up twelve-yards.

Ten seconds into the second quarter the Raiders got a nice play from Jacob Grey and Dakota Marshall, who teamed up to stop Carson Christian (5-9 166 Sophomore) to force the Rams into a fourth and fourteen situation.

The Raiders defense would come up huge when McClain was able off a Elkins pass, when the ball was tipped by a Rams receiver. This played happened with 7:30 left in the half.

The Radiers faced a fourth and three, with 6:27 remaining in the half and with little hesitation the coaching staff elected to go for it. McClain was able to use some nice work to pick up the first down.

The Rams defense must have been put in a foul mood after that play because McClain would lose eight-yards on his next run, when Resner got to him, with 4:14 showing on the scoreboard clock.

When the Rams took the ball back over they got a big forty-six yard run by quarterback, Elkins, who used some nice work by his offensive line. That gave the Rams another first down, with 3:13 left on the clock.

The Raiders defense would get a stop on fourth and one, when Beach was stopped by, Jacob Grey and a host of others.

The half ended with the Rams leading, 14-0. The score does not do justice to how dominating the Rams really were as they held the Raiders to just forty-six yards on twenty-five plays.

The Rams started the 2nd half out as good as a team could, when Elkins hit a nice screen pass to a wide-opened Messar, who took off on a sixty-seven-yard score. Elkins had to reverse field and break three tackles to hit pay dirt. Elkins would be stopped on a two-point run by Grey. So with 11:34 left in the third quarter the Rams held a 20-0 lead.

McClain would get annihilated when Boggs, Seth Holbrook (6-0 195 soph0 and Johnson combine to hit him for a short loss, with 4;50 left in the quarter.

Messer would pick off a McClain pass and take it back around fifty-yards for another Rams score. Messer would add the point after kick to give the Rams a, 27-0 lead with 4:19 showing on the scoreboard clock.

The Raiders offense who had been held to a little over fifty-yards to this point of the game would get eighty-yards on one play, when Jordan Ratcliff took a pitch and out ran every one for the score. The point after kick by Even Huddle cut the lad to, 27-7, with 4:05 remaining in the third.

The Raiders Chase Rowe would block a Messer punt with 1:24 left in the exciting third quarter.

Beach looked to have a big sixty-two yard pick up on a nice run, with 10:50 left in the game but a late flag negated the play. Five seconds later it looked like Messer was going to make another catch and big run, but Kyle Yates knocked the ball away at the last possible second. The Raiders defense was beaten badly all game long but to their credit those players never quit playing and that shows just how badly they wanted to preform well on this night.

Cole Carter would put the ball on the ground with 10:27 left in the game and the Rams, who has a host of players pounce around the ball came up with it.

Cole McClain, who took more hits in this game then some quarterbacks will take in a month got a little revenge when he stepped on the field as a defender with 9;50 left in the game. McClain would put the hit of the game on Messer, who tried to make a big time catch on a nice Elkins pass. This was just another example of how the Raiders defense continued to give 100 % even though the outcome of this one had long been determined.

The lead would grow to 34-7 when Freshman, Baily Walker went up the gut and broke several tackles to complete the twelve-yard run. Junior Rodney Vance (6-0 171) came on to hit the point after kick.

McClain would be hit for a seven-yard loss when Vance and Josh Young (6-2-168 Junior) got to him, with 8:44 left in the contest.

The Rams defense stepped up again with, 4:19 left in the fourth quarter when, Maverick Dixon (6-0-160 Junior) picked off a McClain pass and took it twenty-eight-yards for another score. Messer would have his point after kick blocked , keeping the score, 40-7.

Chase Steele would end the scoring with .18 left in the game, when he scored on a thirty-five-yard run. Huddle hit the point after to close the gap to, 40-14.

Just to show how hard the Raiders played to thelast second on the ensuing kickoff they recovered the onside kick.

VERY UNOFFICIAL STATS
RACELAND
56 PLAYS
348 YARDS
PASSING 10-17 1 INT.

EAST CARTER
54 PLAYS
223 YARDS
PASSING
3-14 2 INT'S.
Nice write up. Glad you enjoyed your to my old stomping grounds. I graduated from there in the early 90's. It is a fun place to watch and play football, a very unique small town atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed the band, my nephew plays percussion in the band. Hope he performed well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:Nice write up. Glad you enjoyed your to my old stomping grounds. I graduated from there in the early 90's. It is a fun place to watch and play football, a very unique small town atmosphere. Glad you enjoyed the band, my nephew plays percussion in the band. Hope he performed well.

Thanks.
Just currious, what's your connection to raceland that would have you drive there and then post such a detailed and lengthy report
mightydog Wrote:Just currious, what's your connection to raceland that would have you drive there and then post such a detailed and lengthy report
No connection. I am a fan of the game and bounce to Kentucky once or twice a year just to take in a game and meet other posters, who are fans also.