Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jackson City shutting down?
If and when Jackson City shutdowns, what happen to the 55th district? Will Buckhorn or Cordia come to the 55th or MagoffinCo. from the 15th region come in
to early still, give it a couple of weeks
They have been making these claims for the last 25 years, I will believe when it is official.
I was told back last year that a coal company was sold and the money was donated to the school so that it could stay open
I hope that they're able to keep Jackson City open. It would be a shame for them to close. There are a lot of kids that get to play there that probably wouldn't get the same opportunity at Breathitt County.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Jackson will remain open this school year, but next year they will be consolidated with Breathitt.
Their superintendent resigned this morning which came to a surprise to everyone
http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/...31381.html

That is shocking.
Strikeout King Wrote:Their superintendent resigned this morning which came to a surprise to everyone

Not much of a surprise really. It's been rumored all summer that he was going to Breathitt in a central office role. His wife already works there and it is assumed he will take over as the new superintendent when Hammonds leaves at the end of the state management period.
Altro Cat Wrote:Not much of a surprise really. It's been rumored all summer that he was going to Breathitt in a central office role. His wife already works there and it is assumed he will take over as the new superintendent when Hammonds leaves at the end of the state management period.

Didn't know that. Just the news was reporting it as a shock to everyone involved
Well that's unfortunate! Not sure how many kids will get the same opportunity in athletics at Breathitt compared to what they would have at Jackson City.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
It looks like Jackson City will go through and hire another Superintendent. Hopefully they will hire someone who is very savy with the limited funds they have.
LeeCoUKFan Wrote:Well that's unfortunate! Not sure how many kids will get the same opportunity in athletics at Breathitt compared to what they would have at Jackson City.

Different kinds of opportunities.
Jackson doesn't have football, and anyone who wants to play would have the opportunity in that sport since there are really no limits on rosters.
I'm not sure Jackson has track or cross county either, so there are more possibilities.
Other than basketball, it would seem the possibilities for playing time are about the same.
HDE Wrote:Different kinds of opportunities.
Jackson doesn't have football, and anyone who wants to play would have the opportunity in that sport since there are really no limits on rosters.
I'm not sure Jackson has track or cross county either, so there are more possibilities.
Other than basketball, it would seem the possibilities for playing time are about the same.

Jackson City has Cross Country and Track. Only difference is that Breathitt has Football and Boys and Girls Tennis and Jackson has Boys Soccer, per KHSAA's directory.
HDE Wrote:Different kinds of opportunities.

True. Basketball is what I was mainly referring to. I would have thought that anyone who was serious about playing football would have already transferred but, like you said at least it will give anyone from Jackson City the opportunity to go out for the team if they want to. Although it would be unfortunate for the basketball players, once they finally get this figured out, I will be interested to see if anyone from JC makes an impact on the Breathitt football team.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strikeout King Wrote:I was told back last year that a coal company was sold and the money was donated to the school so that it could stay open

Actually, the county donated its share of the state coal severance tax to help them stay open.
mandan Wrote:Actually, the county donated its share of the state coal severance tax to help them stay open.

Thanks for the clarification. I was going by what a Jackson City student had told me
Strikeout King Wrote:I was told back last year that a coal company was sold and the money was donated to the school so that it could stay open

Partially correct. An alum of the school is married to a man that owned a large company that was sold last year for around 600 million and they donated some money to the school to keep it open.
It will be a sad day in Jackson when the City School is closed. Not everyone wants to go to a larger school such as Breathitt. The atmosphere is totally different.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

If they did shut-down, where do you think these players would go?
Jackson will be open for a few more years, people are just stupid.
Best of the worse Wrote:Jackson will be open for a few more years, people are just stupid.

I hope they find a way to keep the school open.
Jackson City is not going to close this year or for many years to come. Jackson offers basketball boys girls HS,MS and ELEM, Volleyball Girls (District Champs 2012), Soccer boys ( District Champs and All-A Champs 2012),Softball girls, Golf co-ed ,Baseball (District Champs 2013),and Track and Cross Country. If you really want to know what is going on at the school go and talk to the new superintendent Mr. Kyle Lively or one of the many others who are willing to fight for the school. Rumors are just that rumor.