Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bowl of Champions
Boredom breeds thoughts...thoughts lead to ideas...so here we go.

I am sure this is not the first time anyone's discussed it and probably not the first thread started about it, but what if each year they had a "bowl of champions" to actually determine how the state champs would stack up against each other.

Make the season 12 weeks instead of 11(10 games + open week) and the weekend after the class championships, have set up a playoff like this:

1st Round
1A champ vs 2A champ
3A champ vs 4A champ
5A champ vs 6A champ

2nd Round
-bye is determined by greatest margin of victory

just a thought....entertain me with your thoughts of why or what not it should happen
You don't have classes and then have them play each other when it's over. I always hate this idea when someone brings up classes in basketball.

How's this for a downer? Raceland or Pikeville wins a Class A football championship. You ride the fire truck through downtown, have the celebration at school, then get beat 52-0 the next week against the AA champ.
Terrible idea. If you want one champion don't class football.
:lmao:
What do you mean by 12 weeks? Definitely don't think an extra game or bye week should be added to the regular season and entire football season including playoffs is 16 weeks.

It is interesting to sit and wonder how it would turn out especially during a season where a higher class is down as a whole or a lower class is up as a whole where the lower class champ may be the higher class champ. Overall, I have to agree with HDE, it ruins the whole point of having classes and class champions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
This will never happen, and it shouldn't, in my opinion. I do think that the idea of having the defending state champions play each other during the opening week of the following season (1A vs 2A, etc) would be interesting and would generate a lot of excitement at the start of the season, although sometimes teams can be champions one year and mediocre the next.
jbwill2 Wrote:This will never happen, and it shouldn't, in my opinion. I do think that the idea of having the defending state champions play each other during the opening week of the following season (1A vs 2A, etc) would be interesting and would generate a lot of excitement at the start of the season, although sometimes teams can be champions one year and mediocre the next.

I agree with you jbwill2 :Thumbs:
jbwill2 Wrote:This will never happen, and it shouldn't, in my opinion. I do think that the idea of having the defending state champions play each other during the opening week of the following season (1A vs 2A, etc) would be interesting and would generate a lot of excitement at the start of the season, although sometimes teams can be champions one year and mediocre the next.

I like that idea
I Like the idea. But Just have a Bowl Game at the start of the year for the previous years champs. Same format as your first round.

That would be a great bowl. Not a playoff like you have suggested, just a bowl game like most teams have to start the year. Call it the Bowl of Champions and have it somewhere like Richmond or Louisville.
Having a Bowl of Champions sounds good on paper but it would be a scheduling nightmare. What about the teams that last year's champs already had on their schedule for that day?