Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Two Breathitt County children bitten by Copperheads
WOLFE COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - A mother says she was terrified to learn her ten-year-old son had been bitten by a copperhead. She also says she was shocked when she got to the hospital to find another set of parents going through the exact same thing

Sarah Blackburn says her son, Shane, was hiking in the Red River Gorge with a church group on Friday when he was bitten.

"He had felt what he thought was a needle or something and he looked down and every body started yelling snake," Blackburn said.

Someone with the group took a picture of the snake before it disappeared back into the woods. It was identified as a copperhead.

"He's been in a lot of pain, last night was kind of rough on us," she said.

Shane was brought to the Kentucky River Medical Center in Jackson. Blackburn says she was surprised by the questions she heard there.

"Walked into the ER and they said 'Is this the other snakebite?'" Blackburn said.

Blackburn says the young girls mother told her she was playing in the front yard of their Breathitt County home when she stepped on the snake while wearing sandals.

She says Shane is on antibiotics and pain medication. She says that pain hasn't dulled his sense of humor.

"He said 'This is my first snakebite, I sure hope it's my last," she said.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymt/home/headlines/...vice=phone
This must be gonna be a bad year for Copperheads. Me and my friend killed one on a rhino coming down through the woods (about 3 ft long). Then he killed another one while he was at work. Our neighbor ran over one in front of my friend's pappaw's house. Then his dad killed one. That's 4 and now this.

Prayers for a speedy recovery. I've never been bitten by any kind of snake and I hope and pray to god that never happens
I found a copperhead skin shed down in the barn a few weeks ago.
Sucker was probably 3 feet long atleast.

Havent seen him in person, but id like to meet him.
Personally, i think the couple of black snakes that reside down there have already took care of him. Last week my barn cats killed a black snake.
I think its going to be a bad year altogether for snakes.
Yeah, I have to agree with RIUTG! I think it's going to be a bad year for snakes in general. I killed a snake that has just gotten into my basement a couple weeks ago and a neighbor ran over a huge black snake in front of my house the other day.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I tend to leave black snakes alone unless there a threat to my barn cats.
If there out in the field i usually leave them be. They will kill poisinous snakes like nothing and also keep all pesky rodents away.
I usually kill on average 8 a year in our yard. About 3 years ago I found one on top of our hot water heater in the basement and killed him with a 22 pistol before he knew what hit him. Luckily I didn't damage the hot water heater. I've not seen any this year though.
I killed 2 this year. One at back porch and the other in my garage.
I live beside of a small stream and they have been thick this year. So far i have killed 2 water snakes, 2 copperheads and 1 Rattle Snake at my mothers.
I've never seen a rattlesnake in person alive, but I've always wanted too as long as I was not in striking distance
I saw two Timber Rattlers for the first time last year in our yard. They were not aggressive at all.