Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Central Catholic 4 Hazard 1
Final from Whitaker in the State All "A" classic.
Im waiting for the Hazard fans to come on here and make excuses why they lost. Come on Dawg fans, lets hear it. Was someone out of the lineup, was someone sick, was it too cold? I know there has to be a reason why Hazard lost, they dont lose games and if they do its because of some unforeseen circumstance.
Congrats to Newport Central Catholic
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
No excuses, KY Headhunter. Newport Central is probably the best team Hazard has faced all year. They are solid at every position and 8 of their 9 starters are seniors. However, I would much rather have Hazard's record of 21-7 than your team whose record is 6-15. Lets agree not to take anything away from any of the players on any team, because these young men play their hearts out regardless of the outcome of each game. Hope you have a good day...don't let jealously destroy you...it only affects the vessel it's in.....the rest of us could care less.
Hazard lost to a great team but I think this experience helps them down the stretch.Just came up short to a good ball club.Newport is definitely solid on the field and congrats to them.
Congrats to Hazard on a great run.
KY Headbutter
You must be thinking about Prestonsburg.

Newport flat out won the game. That day they were better on offense and defense. They made the plays and got the hits. Hazard made a few errors and couldn't string any hits together. The sad part is Wells, the lefty freshman, pitched an outstanding game and deserved a win.

When umpires start getting yelled at, screamed at, etc. over calls it might help whoever is doing the yelling feel better, but that's about it. In my opinion it probably hurts more than it helps the officiating crew the rest of the game making the correct calls. In theory none of that should effect an umpires calling a game but they are all human. Officials are just like everybody else, some good, some bad, but still human. So mistakes will be made.
And being human when someone starts yelling at them, telling them about needing glasses, giving them intimate details about their mother, throwing handicap parking tags at them, showing them a middle finger and telling them its their IQ, etc. none of that helps with the game, more often than not the next close call is not going your way. Then what could have been just a missed call by one umpire becomes all the umpires calling all close calls for the other team because they are going to think a team with fans and parents like that doesn't deserve to win anyway.

I am sure there times when an umpire does things deliberately. When they are really trying to help a team win. How many times have you ever seem an umpire quit in the middle of a game because of the fans, or be replaced during a game? It's not gonna happen so we are stuck with him. Even if an umpire is helping a team the negativity just gives him more fuel and justification in his mind. Not to mention possibly influencing the other umpires, then you have not just one but up to four umpires against you.

To me the big issues with this is what kind of example is this showing these young athletes? This is not how we teach them sportsmanship. This is not how we teach them how to deal with adversity, or how to deal with situations that are not fair. They will face things like this their entire life, with their job, their family, etc. The examples we set is what our children will draw on when they face adversity.

Now, if I can just start remembering all this the next time I get ready to throw my popcorn and scream at an umpire. If I can remember just part of this I might get to finish watching the entire game instead of sitting in the vehicle feeling stupid because I am not watching the game, just getting text message updates.