Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russ Smith
Can any of you tell me how this kid was a 2 star recruit????
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Late bloomer. Lack of physical characteristics and stature.

Can't measure heart though. That is one thing that Pitino has always done well. He has always found kids that play hard, buy in and improve. He did it at UK and At UofL.
And he had been there and matured. He want this good as a freshman.
From a 2 star to develop into a player with 5 star talents. He is fearless of everybody. If Lebron was on the court he would be first in line to accept his challenge lol. That's what I like about the kid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Too small.
Made up for it by growing stronger.
Definitely was only a two=star. Strength, heart and Pitino made him a third-team All-American. Amazing that the number one overall seed only has a third team American and one other guy (Siva) that got an honorable mention vote.
Here's my take for what little it's worth..

He was smaller than his peers and players he had to play against which made his confidence and motor extremely mature. Then when he was given a chance to play he took it full on and worked his butt off to be who he is today. And that maturity he learned at a young paid off big time when he was given his chance.

I love players like this!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Ville, can you give us a little back story to his recruitment. I looked up his recruitment and could not find anything.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Ville, can you give us a little back story to his recruitment. I looked up his recruitment and could not find anything.

I do know he wasnt very higly recruited at all. He had 2 mid major schools recruiting him and UL. Steve Masiello was the one who done most of the recruiting but it was Richard and Rick that had the relationship with Russ's HS coach and his father as well. I know he didnt start on his HS team until his Senior Year when he led the team at Queens high school Archbishop Molloy. I also know Pitino liked his heart and his attitude of being fearless of anybody on the floor but he didnt really know if he could play at the D1 level or not. Ralph Willard was the one who wanted to take the chance on him and was constantly encouarging Pitino this was the guy they needed. After his Sophmore season at UL their was alot of talk about him transferring to Manhattan because Pitino wanted to make him a PG and thats not who Russ was/is. Russ got one more chance and he performed much better. I know Russ had never won anything in his life. No kind of tournament or anything. Last season in the BE tourney he yelled to the Bench something about he was finally going to win something.

Needless to say this Kid has changed so much and he appears to be a good kid to me anyway. Everytime I have went to a ville game he always plays with a smile on his face. Really enjoys the game. Ive saw him out at the Mall and at the cheesecake factory with Chane and Peyton and he was constantly pranking with them. Just enjoy seeing kids like that alway having fun and enjoying the college experiences. Ill see if I can find some links on this somewhere though since you guys like to have links for everything lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Spud6 Wrote:Here's my take for what little it's worth..

He was smaller than his peers and players he had to play against which made his confidence and motor extremely mature. Then when he was given a chance to play he took it full on and worked his butt off to be who he is today. And that maturity he learned at a young paid off big time when he was given his chance.

I love players like this!

My thoughts exactly! His attitude is what I like so much. Nothing is impossible with him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
FBALL Wrote:And he had been there and matured. He want this good as a freshman.

He spent most of the season injured his freshman year. Broke foot and multiple concussions
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
Nice thread Ville. Definitely a feel-good story in terms of how this young man developed into such a solid player. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Kemba Walker in terms of how he plays...he is cat-quick.
WideRight05 Wrote:Nice thread Ville. Definitely a feel-good story in terms of how this young man developed into such a solid player. Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Kemba Walker in terms of how he plays...he is cat-quick.

Thats exactly what I was telling my dad when I watched the game with him the other day. Russ has that same fearless attitude and wants the ball in his hands at the end. Just goes to show ya, life is what you make of it. Mak the best of every oppurtunities and you will be successful.

When you look at this seasons roster you wouldnt think they would be where they are. Outside of Siva and Chane nobody was highly recruited really. Gorgui as a complete accident from huntington prep. Coach P was there to see somebody else and like the looks of his game
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
This kid has the attitude of the little train that could, just chug chug chugging along and up the mountain he goes. Never give up never quit wish there was more kids like him out there!!