Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Morgan County Moving/Getting a new Football Stadium?
I heard through the grapevine that Morgan County may be moving their high school field closer to the high school and getting a completely new stadium with turf included!! Old field in town will be come a soccer field?? can anybody shed a light on this or is it just rumors??
I actually like the stadium being located in the middle of town, it makes for a great atmosphere. With that being said, there still needs to be major upgrades to the stadium. The big stone building gives the stadium character.
The high school has the perfect location for a football field. Parking would be improved 10 fold. Be nice to have a field right at the high school.
Be nice to see the football team get something as good as anybody around has. The team deserves it and that's who it's about.
Why would the BOE spend $$$$ on the old field field and not be able to use those facilities during the instructional day at the high school. You are talking about a lot of money to turf a field and build a field house with dressing rooms and weight room facilities. The field house could be used for track teams to dress and store equipment. PE classes could walk outside and use the facility even when the weather is wet. No mud. The old field has tradition, but there comes a time when school district has to move on to provide what is best for all KIDS. They are trying to create a state of the art facility at the high school.
One major problem with moving the field to the high school, the high school is the next school in the district to receive a new location. I know that this is around 7-10 years off, but then this would result in the same problem that the BOE is facing; a football field located off campus. I suggest improvements to Herdman Field. It is the HALLOWED GROUND of MORGAN COUNTY FOOTBALL. It's where all these boy's fathers played! It's a Morgan County tradition to go to town and watch Friday night football in town, not drive to Index and park in the high school parking lot that can't even hold a capacity for a district basketball tournament. Just because Turner is a Breathitt native who doesn't hold Morgan County tradition near and dear like the rest of us locals, he thinks this is acceptable. He forgets that Bruce Herdman was to Morgan County as Mike Holcomb was to his alma mater. The stadium was named for a reason, and that's just a tradition, and a memorial site, not worth messing with.
Morgan County just received 200 million from a grant to rebuild West Liberty. There is a ton of money and tax revenue the city takes in. They money is there and I can see them getting a new stadium but I'm not forsure. Just thought I would throw that in there because it may not come from the school system to fund such a thing. There is enough business in West Liberty to fund the project through donations, if companies really wanted to be in the giving mood. I just figure the way politics work is that some of that money will find its way into the budget. Coal severance tax is always used to go back into the school systems, etc. I don't see why this would be any different.
Came through Morgan Co. a few weeks ago on business, why don't they take a place out on 519 there where they redone the road to Rowan county and build a nice complex?? This way they would have good roads to the field, plenty of parking, build the field and track to compensate for better seating, be in between hills to shade,be more of a mutual place wouldnt be a conjested area way it was in town and all. They are planning to put a wellness place out there a field near that be good idea also and if the high school or even middle school in future was builtor whatever "roy the boy" was stating the field would be fine.. I agree Herdman field is and always be part of tradition but, If I know him and any body else or any other coach they would love to see the kids get better stuff and a better field. Change is good when done right!!
inspiron Wrote:Morgan County just received 200 million from a grant to rebuild West Liberty. There is a ton of money and tax revenue the city takes in. They money is there and I can see them getting a new stadium but I'm not forsure. Just thought I would throw that in there because it may not come from the school system to fund such a thing. There is enough business in West Liberty to fund the project through donations, if companies really wanted to be in the giving mood. I just figure the way politics work is that some of that money will find its way into the budget. Coal severance tax is always used to go back into the school systems, etc. I don't see why this would be any different.
Where is that grant coming from?
2dog Wrote:Where is that grant coming from?

The money was approved through the state and its 30 million; correction on the 200, I was mistaken with other federal money going to other places.
Big difference in 30 million and 200 million!! Also, I don"t see the school system getting any of that money and they would probably never give it to football... does anyone know if Morgan has posted a 2013 football schedule?? would love to see who they are playing wherever they play...
Aug 23, 13 Estill County away 7:30 PM
Aug 30, 13 Paintsville away 7:30 PM
Sep 6, 13 Leslie County home 7:30 PM
Sep 13, 13 West Carter away 7:30 PM
Sep 27, 13 Pike County Central home 7:30 PM
Oct 4, 13 Jackson County away 7:30 PM
Oct 11, 13 Knott County Central home 7:30 PM
Oct 18, 13 Breathitt County away 7:30 PM
Oct 25, 13 Magoffin County home 7:30 PM
Nov 1, 13 Powell County home 7:30 PM
how does the cougars look this year