Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region - Districts
The 15th Region has 16 teams with 4 districts. It would seem simple math that there would be 4 teams in each district, instead of two with five and two with 3. Why has this not been changed? This is a major advantage to Pike Co teams!
I would about say the reason it hasn't been changed is the driving distance!!!
Forget the districts. Find 3 to 4 good sponsors and have every team in the regional. Every kid in the region would get their opportunity to compete in a great basketball tournament at the Civic Center. I know they would all like to play there. Seed by playing each other once. This still leaves you near 13 to 14 other games to play. Be great for the kids, and a tournament many would remember for a long time. Fun fun fun. Details could be worked out...
I'll start with FACTS, something that this board is usually lacking.

Fact #1 - Floyd County will not break their district up. Henry Webb and others in tight with the Board of Control will not let it happen.

Fact #2 - Sheldon Clark fights with tooth and nail any time moving districts is brought up.

Fact #3 - A proposal was sent FROM KHSAA to have -

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence

58th
P-Burg
South Floyd
Allen Central
Piarist

59th
East Ridge
Pikeville
Phelps
Shelby Valley

60th
Betsy Layne
Belfry
Pike Central
Sheldon Clark

A kinds of hell was raised from anyone and everyone.

Counter proposal sent TO KHSAA -

57th
Paintsville
Johnson Central
Magoffin Co.
Lawrence

58th
P-Burg
South Floyd
Allen Central
Betsy Layne

59th
Shelby Valley
Piarist
Pikeville
East Ridge

60th
Belfry
Phelps
Pike Central
Sheldon Clark

All kinds of hell was raised.

Floyd county and the 57th raise hell about Pike County, but none of them want to change anything other than Pike County get 2 teams in the region because it has dominated it, outside Paintsville's run, the past 30 years.
BlueSky Wrote:Forget the districts. Find 3 to 4 good sponsors and have every team in the regional. Every kid in the region would get their opportunity to compete in a great basketball tournament at the Civic Center. I know they would all like to play there. Seed by playing each other once. This still leaves you near 13 to 14 other games to play. Be great for the kids, and a tournament many would remember for a long time. Fun fun fun. Details could be worked out...

Lets give everyone a trophy!

Every kid gets at least one game on the Expo floor now.
Very informative post. Thank you. I would think that either of those two options would be better than what we have now. Interesting.