Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell Co 52 Harlan County 50
Harlan County continues to play disappointing basketball to put it kindly!!! The Potter kid for Bell was the best player on the floor IMO. The HC kids don't communicate with each other, they don't seem to enjoy playing with each other, it seems like 80% of their shots are forced shots!! Its frustrating watching this bunch play!
Missed this game. Thought HC would take this one.
Harlan County and Clay County are hands down the most talented teams in the 13th and neither are playing solid bball. Bad loss for Black Bears
Bell comes into the game with a very young team and a 7-10 record and HC's veteran club can't take care of this little bit of business to secure the #1 seed in the District? Now their coaches get to make a trip somewhere and flip a coin for the #1 seed?? Just BIGTIME disappointing, still starting all four of their 3 year starters throughout the recent struggles...
Congratulations to the Bobcats on their victory. That team played as solid as they could have played, and deserved the victory!!

Potter is one of the most impressive kids I've seen play this year, and he's only a Freshman. That kid should have a bright future in basketball!! I believe he ended the game with 28 hard earned points. Good luck to him!!!

My Black Bears need to reach deep, and find that intrinsic factor, regroup and come out fighting next time. Win, lose or draw, I will be there to cheer for them!!!

Go Black Bears!!!!
Big win for Bobcats.
Granny Bear Wrote:Congratulations to the Bobcats on their victory. That team played as solid as they could have played, and deserved the victory!!

Potter is one of the most impressive kids I've seen play this year, and he's only a Freshman. That kid should have a bright future in basketball!! I believe he ended the game with 28 hard earned points. Good luck to him!!!

My Black Bears need to reach deep, and find that intrinsic factor, regroup and come out fighting next time. Win, lose or draw, I will be there to cheer for them!!!

Go Black Bears!!!!
Potter is actually a Junior, but Bell plays 3 freshmen in their top 7 rotation. Potter scored almost every time he has the ball the last 4 minutes of the game, congrats to him and the Bobcats! HC didn't make a 3 in the game, it appears that we are trying to win without shooting the 3?? I do not understand this, how we expect to just take turns forcing shots up in traffic and don't seem to ever try to get a kid that has a beautiful shot (Sergent) an open look from 3???
Bell starts four juniors and has a senior (Hudson) who plays a lot. They do have three freshmen who usually play, including one (Woolum) who starts.

3-point shooting was the difference in this one. Bell had 7 of 18 and HCHS was 0 for 2. Both teams had 19 field goals overall and HCHS hit 16 free throws compared to 11 for Bell.
I think the odds are usually in favor of getting to the basket and drawing fouls. It doesn't always work, especially when guys like Potter and Patterson shoot so well.
And where have u been lately during this stretch of disappointing play by HC? You seem to always have perspective when things are going well, how bout a little perspective now.. There have been games we lost where nobody even opened a thread? Why does this basketball team not have the passionate fan base that the football team has? It seems like nobody except for Granny Bear really cares or has passion for supporting the team?? By the way Granny Bear, I admire you a great deal, the Black Bears could use and need a whole lot more fans like you!!!
HDE Wrote:Bell starts four juniors and has a senior (Hudson) who plays a lot. They do have three freshmen who usually play, including one (Woolum) who starts.

3-point shooting was the difference in this one. Bell had 7 of 18 and HCHS was 0 for 2. Both teams had 19 field goals overall and HCHS hit 16 free throws compared to 11 for Bell.
I think the odds are usually in favor of getting to the basket and drawing fouls. It doesn't always work, especially when guys like Potter and Patterson shoot so well.
7 for 18 from 3 is good shooting, but not great. Potter is an excellent shooter and will always shoot well so it's not like they surprisingly shot well? As for their youth, Woolum is a Freshman, P Collett is a freshman and I am pretty sure there is another freshman in their top 7 or 8. As for the odds of FORCING shots and drawing fouls? I just don't believe forcing shot after shot is ever a good plan!!! When u get out scored 21-0 from 3 and u don't even make an effort to get your only shooter a couple good looks from 3 is just not good basketball IMO
Maybe a "L" to a region team is what Harlan Co. needed before district play.
Black Bear Cuz Wrote:And where have u been lately during this stretch of disappointing play by HC? You seem to always have perspective when things are going well, how bout a little perspective now.. There have been games we lost where nobody even opened a thread? Why does this basketball team not have the passionate fan base that the football team has? It seems like nobody except for Granny Bear really cares or has passion for supporting the team?? By the way Granny Bear, I admire you a great deal, the Black Bears could use and need a whole lot more fans like you!!!

I was sitting at the scorers table where I always am.
I never open a thread win, lose or draw.

My perspective is Harlan County is 16-4 and still one of the favorites to win the 13th Region. They were unbeaten last year in the region and that didn't guarantee anything when the tournament started. They beat Bell by 19 at HCHS and lost by two on a last-second shot at Bell. I still like their chances. Lewis Morris has done a great job with Bell though and they've come a long way.
I'd like to see them hit some 3s. They tend to bury people when that happens. But if you depend on that to win a regional championship it doesn't usually work out. I thought they were too dependent on that in the past when this group was younger.
HDE Wrote:I was sitting at the scorers table where I always am.

My perspective is Harlan County is 16-4 and still one of the favorites to win the 13th Region. They were unbeaten last year in the region and that didn't guarantee anything when the tournament started. They beat Bell by 19 at HCHS and lost by two on a last-second shot at Bell. I still like their chances. Lewis Morris has done a great job with Bell though and they've come a long way.
I'd like to see them hit some 3s. They tend to bury people when that happens. But if you depend on that to win a regional championship it doesn't usually work out. I thought they were too dependent on that in the past when this group was younger.
I understand that u are at ALL games, I was referring to this website! Haven't seen much from you during this recent run of poor play.. As for their 16-4 record, name one really good team they have beaten? Please don't try to say they beat anybody at Hilton Head and don't try to tell anyone that Clay and NL and quality teams. They are decent teams, but not quality teams by anyone's rankings. You talk like you think everything is going as expected? Scoring in the low 50's regularly is a clear sign that things are not well offensively.
Regarding the 3 point shot, this team has been out scored by every team they have played from 3 barring the weak teams they have blown out... IMO you can't win a regional tournament if you can't make some 3 point shots and this team doesn't even seem to try to get their best shooter any open looks?? Also, in their biggest games they are getting no production out of their talented sophomore center! Is anyone making it a priority to have him ready to play? Bottom line is this team looks just like last years team and other HC teams that have had high expectations only to go to the regional tournament and lose in the first round! And your perspective seems to be everything is right on track as planned??
Did you plan on 20-0 at this point? I guess it did seem possible, but they haven't played as well of late.
Other than last year, no HCHS team has had high expectations that I can remember. They were all sophomores two years ago and exceeded expectations by pushing Clay to the last seconds.
They'll see some quality competition in the next few weeks - Perry Central is among the elite teams in the 14th, Montgomery is ranked first in the 10th and Fleming was ranked first in the 16th a week or so ago.
They've already beaten most of the top teams in the 13th (Clay, North, Pineville, South, Middlesboro) and split with Bell.
I don't get what it is you want. Should we all just starting fighting amongst ourselves and try to change everything in late January?
HDE Wrote:I was sitting at the scorers table where I always am.

HDE Wrote:Did you plan on 20-0 at this point? I guess it did seem possible, but they haven't played as well of late.
Other than last year, no HCHS team has had high expectations that I can remember. They were all sophDomores two years ago and exceeded expectations by pushing Clay to the last seconds.
They'll see some quality competition in the next few weeks - Perry Central is among the elite teams in the 14th, Montgomery is ranked first in the 10th and Fleming was ranked first in the 16th a week or so ago.
They've already beaten most of the top teams in the 13th (Clay, North, Pineville, South, Middlesboro) and split with Bell.
I don't get what it is you want. Should we all just starting fighting amongst ourselves and try to change everything in late January?
Maybe I expect too much out of this group, forgive me for that, but I would hope they have high expectations for themselves. It just doesn't seem like we have come prepared with a good game plan in the games in the biggest spotlight against the best teams on our schedule? It's all up to this coaching staff to get these kids focused and prepared to play and provide a good game plan, I hope they can figure it out over the next few weeks.. I believe the upcoming strong competition on the schedule will help prepare them for the tournament run!! I appreciate the feedback there HDE. LETS GO BLACK BEARS!!
Congrats Bobcats on a big win!!!!
Thank you Black Bear Cuz, for your compliments. I do really love Harlan Co and the kids that give their time in order to practice and play both basketball and football.

I apologize that I have, once again, been called out on my incorrect facts. I had commented on Potter's shooting last night (who ended up with 26 instead of 28..wrong again), and a family member commented that he thought Potter was a Freshman. I didn't check it out, and I should have done so before commenting.

I could post a lot of things on this forum about whatever the current sporting event is, and could include a lot of comments about the lack of fan support, etc. I could also give you a weekly health update on whatever player is sick, or upset, or out of sorts, or is playing selfishly, or is pissed about a girlfriend, etc.

I choose not to do any of this because I absolutely do not want to bring the negativity to the kids. I don't think anybody should give excuses as to why they lose a ballgame because it lends itself toward saying that the other team wasn't as big a factor, or was unable to attain the victory with their skill alone. It just opens up a lot of crap that the high school sporting events don't need.

I cannot, nor do I desire, to control who/what is said on these sporting forums, but for what I choose to post. I choose to post the most positive and encouraging comments that I can think to say. Earlier, I posted that our Black Bears needed to adjust, reach deep to find how they can improve and come back to fight another day. That will be about the most negative thing I will ever say about these kids and this school.

I can't answer rhetorical questions about the status of support or the way the games are played; I don't think HDE or even you can do that either.

I just really wish our kids to come together and play as a team, with a fantastic fan base and play their best games. I can take losing when we have our best effort.

The only thing that I personally have to do with that is encouragement and support during the games, and I absolutely plan on doing that as long as I have the strength to scream and threaten the refs!!!!

Go Black Bears!!!!!
Harlan Co. is playing it's best when they are turning people over and beating people on the boards.
Had the opportunity to see Harlan Co. play Lincoln Co. at Lex. Catholic earlier this year.It looked like HC players were going one on one nearly every trip down the floor. It was difficult to tell if this was by design. Didn't seem to be much flow on the offensive end.
Ive seen Harlan Co play several times and they seem to just throw up any kind of shot and go rebound it and put it back in. If you can keep them off the boards they are very beatable. Just not a good shooting team at all and everything is about 1 on 1.
Coach Morris is a great Coach when he has next to no talent. He gets the best out of his kids. They are down. They have 1 scorer on the team. Morris will get it done.
I have been very remiss in logging in and supporting the Black Bears during basketball season. I love the boys and I am very proud of them win or lose. I think 16-4 is a terrific record and hopefully the 4 will remain the same throughout the rest of the season. It will if they take Granny Bear's advice and dig deep. The coaches also need to pull out of the zone a lot quicker when a team is making the 3's like Bell was. Go Black Bears!!!:Cheerlead
HDE Wrote:Did you plan on 20-0 at this point? I guess it did seem possible, but they haven't played as well of late.
Other than last year, no HCHS team has had high expectations that I can remember. They were all sophomores two years ago and exceeded expectations by pushing Clay to the last seconds.
Regarding expectations sir, I would think that expectations for this program would always be high, were they not at least high last year when they were ranked as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the 13th region all year and entered district tournament play with a 25-5 record? Its kind of shocking to me that you would say that "no HCHS team has had high expectations that you can remember"? My expextations are and always have been very high since the opening of our amazing school with amazing facilities and top notch coaches. I cannot apologize for having great expectations for our sports programs here at HCHS. I still have very high expectations for this years team, I believe we have people in charge that can get them prepared to make a strong tournamnet run, especially with the upcoming tough part of our schedule to help get us ready... Go Bears!!
Here is what I wrote:

Other than last year, no HCHS team has had high expectations that I can remember.
HDE Wrote:Here is what I wrote:

Other than last year, no HCHS team has had high expectations that I can remember.
Ok, but to say there has not been high expectations until last year is still really surprising to me, I believe there has been high expectations from day one!
I believe Harlan co. Has improved every year since the school opened. Those kids played above expectations as soph's, and had a great year last season until the last two games. They have had a good season this year, but need to finish the year off strong. I agree with black bear cuz, that the last part of the schedule should get them battle tested for a late season run. Good luck players and coaches the rest of the year.