Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Betsy Layne 58 - Pikeville 56
Final
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Notes from the game:
This game was a tale of two halves. Great game for the bobcats especially from d. Hamilton and l. Daniels.

Bart Williams can't win a big game. Not sure when Coach Newsome will learn #2 needs to be pulled earlier for Maldonado and Rogers.

A lot of season left and both teams will get better.
Credit Betsy Layne and Coach Newsome. They stayed the course and weathered the first half storm, stuck to their game plan and when Pikeville cooled off, they took advantage. Rowe and Kasongo going out in the 2nd really hurt, and Rowe still not 100% after being sick and he just was not on tonight. Said it from the beginning, PHS will struggle when Rowe struggles.

Bright spots, Silvers really played well. If he can be a consistent shooter, with his hustle, he will be a fantastic role player on this team as a freshman. All of the freshmen looked pretty good tonight. Games like this are no fun, but they happen and it can bring positives out of it as an example of gotta keep the foot on the pedal.

Once again, congrats Bobcats. Heads up Panthers, March is a long way away!
sportscritic Wrote:Bart Williams can't win a big game.
Yes, the game played on Dec. 11th between two middle of the pack 15th Region teams was a "big game". I almost passed out with the excitement of the build up. Much bigger than the semis of the 2011 Regional Tourney versus BL.

In seriousness though, this team is young and will have stretches where if Rowe is not hitting his looks, it will be tough. Defensively PHS was a little undisciplined, just by virtue of learning a new defense for a lot of these young guys. It happens. The team will get better, as will BL. It was huge for PHS when Case picked up his 2nd foul early and had to sit most of the 1st half. His presence was a big difference the rest of the game as him being on the floor gives BL a lot more continuity. This is not a good loss, but it is not a season killer either. PHS will be what they are this season, and will improve along the way.
Say what you want. I seen a very talented team get beat because of coaching. The Silver kid will be one of the better shooters in the 15th region. Also I don't know about you but these two teams are not middle of the pack 15 th region teams they could easily be a runner up to central this year.
Since when did two of the top five teams, if not two of the top three, teams in the region become middle of the pack?
bball_fan Wrote:Since when did two of the top five teams, if not two of the top three, teams in the region become middle of the pack?
Pikeville is still unproven. Have to mesh a little, and the young guys have a lot of growing up to do.

Betsy Layne has already a loss to heavyweight Pburg on their resume.

The 15th as a whole is down and the middle is very even. No givens on any night.
WOW Close one! Surprised though. NICE win for the Bobcats!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Junior can get the job done especially a close game. HOF Coach!
A little bit of a shock for me! I thought that Pikeville and BL were close but I would give the edge to Pikeville even if it was at BL. So for the Bobcats to travel down US 23 and pull the upset in Pikeville speaks a lot to how even the top of the region is. I have thought since the beginning of the year that the top of the region (Johnson, Pikeville, Valley, Sheldon Clark, and Betsy Layne), were fairly close to each other with the edge going to the home teams in the head to head games. This is a slight deviation in that logic and maybe just means that BL is more suited for high profile games at this point. But anyway you want to look at it, the 15th is wide open. With Johnson losing to Perry tonight (Hall was out), Pikeville losing to BL, and Valley remaining unbeaten, it does seem that the top of the region can go a number of different ways.

Good win for the Bobcats and keep your heads up Panthers, learn and get better.
[SIZE="4"]
[COLOR="Blue"]Shelby Valley High School:
2009 and 2010 All "A" State Champions and 2010 Kentucky Sweet 16 State Champions
MaxPreps National Champions!![/SIZE][/COLOR][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]