Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maryland & Rutgers to join Big Ten
According to this ESPN story Maryland has voted to officially accept an invite to the Big 10 and Rutgers is expected to do the same sometime this week, as early as tomorrow.

In other bad, but not surprising news for the Big East, Boise State, San Diego State, and BYU are talking with the Mountain West to try and rejoin the conference. Boise and SDSU were supposed to join the Big East next year.

With Maryland's departure, the ACC will look to fill the void with the Big East biggest weapon, Louisville, and it's other open spot with most likely Connecticuit. The Big East will probably end up waiting to see what the ACC does to counter it.
The Big East is dead.
^ well, the new BCS bowl/playoff structure eliminates the Big East as a power conference, so yes the Big East as a power football conference is dead

basketball will be a different story, depending on what Louisville does
ACC football isnt much to talk about anymore...
How about Maryland agreeing to pay a $50 million buyout to exit the ACC? Wow.

See, this gets the Big Ten brand into the New York market, and the Baltimore and Washington D.C. areas. Excellent move.

As for the Big East, when Louisville leaves, it is over. As for the ACC, I could see the same scenario playing out in a few years if things don't change.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:How about Maryland agreeing to pay a $50 million buyout to exit the ACC? Wow.

and Maryland just cut a few sports to save soe money, this is a big move

the BigTen is now 2 teams away from creating the 1st super conference for football (16 teams). who would those 2 be?

I know Ohio State will do everything in their power and then some to keep Cincinnati out of the BigTen
FBALL Wrote:The Big East is dead.

May it rest in pieces!!!!!Confusednicker:
I still think Florida St. is going to jump ship in the ACC as well. I wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson or the "U" do the same and go to the Big XII. I'd like to see Louisville in the Big XII as well. Still a whole lot of shaking going to go on in this arena as well!
Confusednicker:

All these teams like Boise moved into the conference for better competetion and now all the teams are leaving. The Big East is going to be full of western teams