Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1992 "Basketbrawl" in Paintsville
I noticed this was already a thread, but if you guys don't mind, I thought of making it again. I remember someone showing me this video, and I was always curious of why it started. Since then, I've been even more curious of why it escalated into as big of a fight as it was. From what I've heard so far, it started just as a small fight between two people and apparently grew to where everyone in the gym felt like fighting each other.

^Just to let everyone know, I'm not making this thread to promote this type of action. I'm glad I wasn't there and I hope to never have to be in something like that.

The reason why I made this thread was to find out (1) why it started and (2) why it grew into such a big fight. Would any of you guys happen to know?
From what I've been told, it started between two Paintsville fans and then it just turned into a all out brawl in seconds.
^What really bothers me when I watch this video is that I would think people would have enough self-control and common sense to determine that they shouldn't start punching people in the middle of a fight. Especially when it looks like it's calming down and one person tries to punch a guy in a black shirt, and then the crowd of people around him pretty much pile on top of him.

At that moment, someone could've been seriously injured. It wasn't just a danger for the person being piled on by the surrounding crowd, but it was a danger to the surrounding crowd as well.

When the crowd does pile on that person who punched the guy in the black shirt, does anyone know why that happened? I would think the *few* people around him would simply try to hold that person back while the rest of the crowd would have common sense to get away. However, as the video shows, the large crowd goes toward that one person.

Just to let everyone know: If you ever watch a fight and there are already people trying to break it up, just walk away. As the video apparently shows, too many people trying to break up a fight can only cause trouble.
lol, after watching our bball program for the last 20 years, i would love to see any kind of excitment, but there was more of it in that 3 minute video than ive ever seen...
I know that I shouldn't but after watching this video again I can't help but laugh! This game must have been pretty boring because it seems that everyone preferred to beat the you know what out of eachother than watch the game. The part that gets me the most is when it seems that order is restored for the most part and this group is holding the guy in black to the wall, one person throws a punch and all hell breaks loose!! You have a free for all, I saw parents and students alike just going at it for no apparent reason. I believe I even saw a football player getting in on the action or atleast it appeared that he was wearing a Paintsville football jersey!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
^
I love the "now there hitting pelphreys dad" line Confusednicker:
It seems everyone always has a problem at Paintsville. Belfry had to stop playing them several different times over fighting. We tried playing again in 02-03, and low an behold it ended with a brawl. The student section was just too close to the court, and would interfere with warm ups, and so on.
Well, that was a huge fight, but the worse one I ever saw at a ballgame started between three women who had more mouth than brains.

It then extended to their kids, then to the friends of the kids, etc. By the time the men got involved, so was the police. There was a ton of people enjected and some injuries. They were minor injuries, but with so many kids involved, it could've been a lot worse.
WOW! How did they restore order? Great job by the security to get order restored. There were at LEAST 50 people throwing punches.
LWC Wrote:WOW! How did they restore order? Great job by the security to get order restored. There were at LEAST 50 people throwing punches.

I noticed a few people were able to calm down everyone. I'm guessing they were some of the faculty who worked at Paintsville. But it is amazing how that one police officer and a few people were able to calm that crowd down. At the rate it was escalating, it could've been a nightmare. Thankfully, it wasn't.
Guy over the speaker was just making it worse.
Like they are going to listen to some ole dried up prune.
Ballers Wrote:Guy over the speaker was just making it worse.
Like they are going to listen to some ole dried up prune.

If you've ever been to watch a Paintsville basketball game, it's about 100X worse in person.

I usually bring some shooting ear muffs to drown the sound out.
Paintsville and P-burg really hated each other at the time. A lot of the tensions came from Coach Runyon and Coach Parrido during the game. I haven't looked at this version of the fight but does it show that they finished the game without allowing any fans to stay? You could hear the echo of the ball bouncing on the broadcast.
I know the guy that was in the white button up shirt, but it would be best for me not to give any names. He was one of the original two fighters. I used to know what this was about, but I forget now.
TheRealVille Wrote:I know the guy that was in the white button up shirt, but it would be best for me not to give any names. He was one of the original two fighters. I used to know what this was about, but I forget now.

When didn't they clearly say in the video that it was John Pelphrey's dad?
I know that one was bad...

but I've honestly seen two that may have been worse...

I think it was Powell and Breathitt in 01' or 02'
and then Perry Central and Wolfe County a couple of years ago.

Although I don't engage in such behavior or think that this is the standard that we should set...

I miss the pageantry that used to be involved in sports around here. It's never good when it comes to fisticuffs - but I've not been to a single game in the past few years that has even been a little bit rowdy.
^
Mountain basketball has lost its passion.

Maybe because all of the "foreign exchange students" playing instead of real hometwon boys.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
I love the "now there hitting pelphreys dad" line Confusednicker:

HAHA! Yeah that was pretty good!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cranium Wrote:Paintsville and P-burg really hated each other at the time. A lot of the tensions came from Coach Runyon and Coach Parrido during the game. I haven't looked at this version of the fight but does it show that they finished the game without allowing any fans to stay? You could hear the echo of the ball bouncing on the broadcast.

I don't know about Paintsville but, I remember when I went to the Country Music Highway Christmas Tournament at Johnson Central in 2009 I believe it was, Prestonsburg had some of the worst fans or I guess I should say most offensive fans I have ever seen in my life! I can see why an opposing player or team might eaily get upset.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pulp Fiction Wrote:If you've ever been to watch a Paintsville basketball game, it's about 100X worse in person.

AWESOME aint it !!!!!!! :thumpsup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
J-Rod Wrote:When didn't they clearly say in the video that it was John Pelphrey's dad?
What? I never named Pelphry's dad. You must be confusing my post with somebody else's. The guy in the white shirt, that was one of the original two fighters, wasn't Pelphry's dad, and I can guarantee that guy wasn't fighting with Pelphry's dad. Wink The announcer just says that someone just hit Pelphry's dad, I think the guy in the hat trying to keep the two guys apart.
J-Rod Wrote:When didn't they clearly say in the video that it was John Pelphrey's dad?
I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post, in my post above. John Pelphry's dad, the one in the hat(I think), between the two guys wasn't one of the fighters. He was trying to break it up and get between the two guys. The announcer was just pointing out that someone was trying to hit Pelphry's dad, while he was between the two main fighters. The guy I was talking about, in the white shirt wasn't fighting with Pelphry.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:If you've ever been to watch a Paintsville basketball game, it's about 100X worse in person.

Lol I love it, because of how unique it is. But it is not very good on a professional level haha.

I can still hear it in my head from soooooo many games: "Pugh, the ball carrier.." I hear it in my head all the time as if I just heard it.