Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morgan-22 Magoffin-16
Final
A lot closer then i thought it would be.
Hmmmm.....

This district confuses me.
Dang
Thought for sure Morgan would win by more.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Magoffin played a lot closer than most expected.
A heart-breaker for Magoffin County and almost a heart-breaker for Morgan County.

Congratulations to both teams!
Wish we could have got this W. Would have been so awesome.
I heard that Maggofin co was up for most of the game , and at one time 16-6. Morgan is most likely beat up from last weeks game. They also didn't have the refs on their side like last week.
wow what happened in this one?? sounds like the hornets brought their A game
Magoffin came out fired up, senior night, for the 2 seed and a home field playoff game. Morgan woke up in the 2nd half and played the way they are capable of playing. GREAT EFFORT to both teams! The Magoffin kids played their hearts out and Morgan dug in on a 4th and 1 for a stop in the 2nd half to turn Magoffin's momentum. Both teams played their guts out tonight. Morgan had 2 starters out from last weeks game vs. Breathitt. Congrats to Morgan on getting the 2 seed and a home playoff game, great effort by a very fired up Magoffin team tonight.
Title town 3 Wrote:I heard that Maggofin co was up for most of the game , and at one time 16-6. Morgan is most likely beat up from last weeks game. They also didn't have the refs on their side like last week.

Magoffin was up 16-6 at the half and they were also beat up from last week. Like I said this team is better than what everyone thinks, they're just young. The game was also called pretty even up until about 4 minutes left when the refs decided to start making bad calls and spotting the ball horribly, especially on a very controversial 4th and inches which Magoffin looked to have converted by a yard but due to a HORRIBLE spot, turned the ball over. Magoffin made a couple of mistakes late the game that cost them so you can't put it all on the refs. Great game from both teams!
I'm not one to complain about the officiating crew, but I have to chime in and agree with the above post. There were questionable calls the entire game, on both sides of the ball, but it did seem like they had it out for Magoffin on their last offensive possession. There were officials marking spots that no way could clearly see the end of the play, line judges making back judges calls, back judges making line judges calls, a missed facemask call that resulted in a Magoffin back having to leave the game with fingernail scratches down his face, a weak unnecessary roughness call on what would have been a turnover by Morgan, and then a no call on what was clearly a hurdle for a TD (new KHSAA rule that forbids attempting to hurdle a standing player). I am not taking anything from Morgan County for the win, but I will also say that they had a little help along the way. Best of luck to both teams on the rest of the season.
I believe Morgan tried to over look this team, it almost costed them, but congrats to both teams.
morgan had 6 starters out for this game. in all honesty Morgan had 6 players out for the Magoffin game. Very dangerous game for Morgan with 6 starters out but morgan still found a way to win. Morgan's sideline looked like a mash unit with all those kids standing in jerseys and street clothes. holbrook, bartley, havens, crouch, mcguire, K smith, all out for this game. check the khsaa page on players from morgan who played in this game, none of them played vs Magoffin. All were starters. go to khsaa-click morgan county. stats will tell you who did not play in this game. go to roster and you will see these starters did not play Friday. I give credit to Magoffin though, they played hard. Morgan had some key injuries and it showed. On the 4th and 1 magoffin's fullback clearly even jumped offsides and no call, if were there you seen it. Let's not forget the fumble Morgan had inside the 10 plus morgan was driving to score at the end and went victory formation to not score again.
Even with 6 starters out I hope morgan learned a lesson about overlooking people. magoffin played hard and with 6 starters out, it could have been an upset. morgan got the W, really all that matters.
Closer than I thought it would be. Sounds like Coach McCoy was prepared for this one. Morgan has improved greatly!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
Sundancekid------What game were you watching? The Morgan player dove over a player and was hit spinning him in the air into the end zone. Thet was not a hurdle. There were only two major penalties over five yards in the game. I don't believe the back judge had a flag. Other than a few off sides and false starts it was a well played game. How can you complain about spots with the field conditions. Glad to hear Magoffin might get turf next year then you may complain about spots.
Witch Doctor Wrote:Sundancekid------What game were you watching? The Morgan player dove over a player and was hit spinning him in the air into the end zone. Thet was not a hurdle. There were only two major penalties over five yards in the game. I don't believe the back judge had a flag. Other than a few off sides and false starts it was a well played game. How can you complain about spots with the field conditions. Glad to hear Magoffin might get turf next year then you may complain about spots.

Field conditions? lol, you act like the field is destroyed, there was nothing wrong with the field, at all. And also I was standing at end zone, field level with perfect vision of the play, the player was not touched at all and did indeed completely hurdle a standing player which is illegal.
Very little grass. Lines and markings were not straight. Saw the tape of the game. The player clearly dove over a player and was contacted by a Magoffin player. Good luck in the play-offs.
Witch Doctor is correct... the kid from Morgan did not hurdle the player from Magoffin. (although he is athletic enough to do it).. he dove and "flipped" over the player. Morgan did have 6 starters out this game and it showed, also beat up from the Breathitt game..but hopefully they will have a few back for this week. Hats off to Magoffin and their coaching staff.. they came ready to play Friday night...good luck in the playoffs. I would also like to say the Halftime show of the video of the post tornado towns of Salyersville and West Liberty was a very nice tribute and in very good taste... lots of emotion... these towns and these teams have really shown what it is like to deal with adversity. My hats off to both these teams...
Witch Doctor Wrote:Sundancekid------What game were you watching? The Morgan player dove over a player and was hit spinning him in the air into the end zone. Thet was not a hurdle. There were only two major penalties over five yards in the game. I don't believe the back judge had a flag. Other than a few off sides and false starts it was a well played game. How can you complain about spots with the field conditions. Glad to hear Magoffin might get turf next year then you may complain about spots.

Since you have the game film, please re-watch it, and tell me again that there were not several crucial missed spots. Like I said in my original post, there were bad calls, spots, no calls on both sides of the ball. BUT, it was more evident on Magoffins last offensive possession. And the field conditions has very little to do with bad spots, its not like every tackle is made on a yard line. And Thornsberry may very well not have "hurdled", but it appeared to me, and many other fans that he did just from the way he landed in the endzone..not very often does someone dive and end up getting flipped like that (atleast not in many games I have seen). But either way, my hat goes off to the players and coaches up in Morgan County, they have really turned that program around.

On a side note, I also thought it was very well suiting that both teams met at mid-field and had post game prayer as a group. After all these two teams have been through in the past few months, it was awesome to see two HUGE rivals come together like that.
Just to clear up some confusuion about the "hurdling" versus "diving and flipping" that took place in this game...Thornsberry is a very athletic young man. He can flip and tumble with the best of them!! if anyone has seen Morgan take the field at a home game they will see Thornsberry do a back flip as they enter the field.. so anyone who knows him or has seen him knows he can flip and land on his feet. I can't believe this has garnered this much attention... Also, I will agree with what was posted about the 2 teams meeting at midfield for a postgame prayer. Very glad to see this and to see these 2 teams who have endured so much to come together to give thanks. I have seen Morgan have a pregame prayer and invite the opposing team for a postgame prayer . Now that's "CLASS"..
morgan had a bad game