Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change in the Playoffs? Teams moving with the realignment?
I don't know much about how the other classes playoff systems work as far as who gets in and who doesn't. But in Class A it has become a joke. It's the same teams every year and every year in the 1st and 2nd round, there are teams playing that have NO BUSINESS playing in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what your record is in single A...YOUR PLAYING 11 GAMES. Which is pointless. Does anyone have any insight on when or if they will make adjustments to the set up? Or does anyone have any information on what teams will be moving classes during the new alignment?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I don't know much about how the other classes playoff systems work as far as who gets in and who doesn't. But in Class A it has become a joke. It's the same teams every year and every year in the 1st and 2nd round, there are teams playing that have NO BUSINESS playing in the playoffs. It doesn't matter what your record is in single A...YOUR PLAYING 11 GAMES. Which is pointless. Does anyone have any insight on when or if they will make adjustments to the set up? Or does anyone have any information on what teams will be moving classes during the new alignment?

Believe the next realignment is 2015. I am really hoping Mayfield gets moved but it will be close. 8th grade enrollment is up but the 7th is down. I would love to go back to 2a. Our first 2 district games we had a running clock halfway through the first half. That is just not football we blocked like 3 punts in the first half against Fulton county. I would much rather play District games that are a challenge.
You are right the next realignment is 2015, they do it every 3 years.
So what happens next year when the new McCracken County high school opens? I know it will be 6A but the other districts lose Lone Oak, Heath, and Reidland.
I think it's every four years.
http://khsaa.org/httpdocs/football/reali...gnment.pdf
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Used to be every 2. Now it's been set at 4 years.
I believe a school may petition for a class change if there is a significant change to their enrollment before the 4 years are up.
I thought the realignment was set for 2014?
rednblackattack Wrote:Believe the next realignment is 2015. I am really hoping Mayfield gets moved but it will be close. 8th grade enrollment is up but the 7th is down. I would love to go back to 2a. Our first 2 district games we had a running clock halfway through the first half. That is just not football we blocked like 3 punts in the first half against Fulton county. I would much rather play District games that are a challenge.

I agree. Raceland is no where near the historically strong power that Mayfield is, and has always been apart of 1A. But our district is exactly the same. For years severaly years it was possibly the strongest and most competetive district in Class A. Possibly the first 2 classes, having Raceland, Fairview, LCA, three teams that always compete in 2nd and 3rd rnd playoff games. Since LCA moved, it's belonged to Fairview and Raceland.

I would like to see some change though. I wish LCA and possibly NCC could come back down, but I don't know their enrollment situation. What are the guidelines? Ie: Enrollment vs what class you can play in?
I believe they need to make the districts based on how good a team is, I know they can't do anything about the a's because of schools size but make everyone in the district competitive. For instance, 5A district 5, Conner, south oldham, cooper, Scott, and grant. There is hardly any competition, Conner south and cooper pretty much have a free pass to the playoffs with Scott and grant not being able to compete with these 3 teams so whoever does make the 4th spot is all but defeated going onto the first round
^
That will never change.
It will always go by school size and proximity.
Saves the schools money for close trips.
Losing Heath won't matter too much in 3A, just means Webster County will have an uncontested path to the playoffs instead of being 5th team out. There also are 5 teams currently in Reidland's AA district as are there five teams in Lone Oak's AAAA district. More of an impact will be felt in adjusting regular season schedules. The consolidated school will be in 6A-1 with Daviess, Muhlenberg, Henderson and Marshall unless one of them is moved out.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
That will never change.
It will always go by school size and proximity.
Saves the schools money for close trips.

in that case, they need to fix the 1st and 2nd round problems and just take the top 2 from each district. I know that even by doing that, there are still going to be lopsided first round games, but it would atleast omit the uselessness of a number 1 crushing a number 4 by 60 pts
It has been rumored Breathitt may be moving down to 2A with the next realignment. I would like to see Breathitt, Prestonsburg, and Leslie in the same district.
Anything on Bell County where will they be at. Will they still be 3A or will they move up.
Does anyone know how the enrollment numbers work in relationship to what class you are eligible for?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:in that case, they need to fix the 1st and 2nd round problems and just take the top 2 from each district. I know that even by doing that, there are still going to be lopsided first round games, but it would atleast omit the uselessness of a number 1 crushing a number 4 by 60 pts

I honestly dont understand what all the fuss is about.
Yes, there will be blowouts in the first round.
But, this isnt basketball or baseball. In football your only guaranteed 10-11 games. Thats it. If a number 1 crushes a number 4, im sure the number 4 still enjoyed playing the game instead of sitting at the house.
I don't know why anyone would want to take away weeks of football. The season is short enough (well, seems short enough) as it is. I know there are some bad matchups in the first round, but going to a bad football game is better than going to no football game.
YNWA Wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to take away weeks of football. The season is short enough (well, seems short enough) as it is. I know there are some bad matchups in the first round, but going to a bad football game is better than going to no football game.

I agree with the bad football is better than no football idiology. I feel the same way when the NFL preseason starts lol. But I offer this solution, 12 game regular season? If length of the season is a problem, extend the regular season. Start with a bowl series with the Champions from each class playing one another. 6A vs 5A...4A vs 3A...2A vs 1A...and do the same thing with the runner-up from each class... on neurtral sites. I know none of this will ever happen, but I think it'd make for some good gate for all schools involved, and at the very least, Some great football week 1.

Set up some specialty games for Breast Cancer Awareness or Altzimers Benefits, do something positive with the extended schedule and not just make it about making money for the school. Have some sort of "perinial power bowl" with teams like Trinity, St. X, Mayfield, Beechwood, Central, Highlands playing each other. There's alot that can be done if the season were to be extended. But, like I said, this will never happen due to travel expenses, etc. But it's atleast interesting to think about.
Probably too early to say, but Tilghman has gained several students this year and may gain some more next year when the consolidated county high school opens. Tilghman is already in the upper end of 3A, I think just four schools were ahead of them.
There is a chance that Warren Central may move to 4A. That would be interesting.
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:in that case, they need to fix the 1st and 2nd round problems and just take the top 2 from each district. I know that even by doing that, there are still going to be lopsided first round games, but it would atleast omit the uselessness of a number 1 crushing a number 4 by 60 pts

Indiana plays a nine week regular season, everyone makes playoffs, blind regional draw first round, 6 weeks of playoffs, concludes Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. I would not mind seeing this in Kentucky. :popcorn:
KHSAA should go back to the old ways. just take the 1st and 2nd places team to the playoffs.
^
If they do that, then teams should be allowed to play 11 games.

Theres always going to be 6 classes. Thats not going to change. If you shorten the amount of teams getting into the playoffs, then you shorten the season for a lot of teams. Not to mention, 4 seed beating 1 seeds isnt uncommon.

If you going to only take two teams, then it shouldnt be based on your district. There are some district that have 3 teams that could wipe the floor with the opposite districts number 1 seed. If your going to do that then you have to set up a different system which would be similar to the BCS, and we know how well that works in the eyes of the people.

One thing is for sure, no matter how its done, theres always going to be critics.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
If they do that, then teams should be allowed to play 11 games.

Theres always going to be 6 classes. Thats not going to change. If you shorten the amount of teams getting into the playoffs, then you shorten the season for a lot of teams. Not to mention, 4 seed beating 1 seeds isnt uncommon.

If you going to only take two teams, then it shouldnt be based on your district. There are some district that have 3 teams that could wipe the floor with the opposite districts number 1 seed. If your going to do that then you have to set up a different system which would be similar to the BCS, and we know how well that works in the eyes of the people.

One thing is for sure, no matter how its done, theres always going to be critics.

You make a valid point here, by stating there are many districts that the top 3 teams would whipe out a number 1 from their paired district. Back in 2008, Raceland's region looked like this

Raceland no 1 seed vs 4 seed Clinton Co (Raceland won 61-12)
LCA no 2 seed vs no 3 Lynn Camp (LCA won 62-8)
Fairview no 3 seed vs no 2 seed Campbellsville (Fairview won 24-13)
Paris no 4 seed vs no 1 seed Williamsburg (Williamsburg won 50-6)

In round 2 Raceland beats in-district rival Fairview 40-20 and LCA beats Williamsburg 69-48. So one could argue that the Williamsburg district never had a chance with either the 1 or 2 seed and may have struggled with the no 3. Granted that was an unusually strong Raceland district that year though.

The district probably more division 1 tallent than the NEKY area may ever see again. With Brett Denton (ended up going to nursing school, turning down several small d1 schools, John Scott Carver went to start at Georgetown, Tyler Boyles...basketball schollarship to Shawnee State, behind a offensive line that averaged about 6'2 250 with tackles (Sabastian Johanssen...starting at Marshall and Robbie Logan...Started for Georgetown and now playing semi pro ball, but chose them over UofL and Morehead to stay with John Scott) that were both 6'5 280. Then you had Whitt (UK baseball Schollarship, Hayden(leading rusher at Thomas Moore, Burdette (unsure), from LCA and a Fairview team, that though they were beaten soundly by both Raceland and Fairview, were a solid football team.

This year, I see the same thing happening. With Pikeville no where near what they have been in the past and still very young, that leaves Phelps, South Floyd, and Allen Central combining for a record of 4-19. The only school who may fall in the first round, is Paintsville. But after the Nicholas County game, I don't know if Nicholas played poorly or if Paintsville finally got some kids back. Either way, I see it boiling down to Raceland/Fairview (talk about alot of tallent on one field) round number 2 and the winner of that playing Hazard...but i have digressed off topic now...back to the topic at hand...
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:I agree with the bad football is better than no football idiology. I feel the same way when the NFL preseason starts lol. But I offer this solution, 12 game regular season? If length of the season is a problem, extend the regular season. Start with a bowl series with the Champions from each class playing one another. 6A vs 5A...4A vs 3A...2A vs 1A...and do the same thing with the runner-up from each class... on neurtral sites. I know none of this will ever happen, but I think it'd make for some good gate for all schools involved, and at the very least, Some great football week 1.

Set up some specialty games for Breast Cancer Awareness or Altzimers Benefits, do something positive with the extended schedule and not just make it about making money for the school. Have some sort of "perinial power bowl" with teams like Trinity, St. X, Mayfield, Beechwood, Central, Highlands playing each other. There's alot that can be done if the season were to be extended. But, like I said, this will never happen due to travel expenses, etc. But it's atleast interesting to think about.

I've had that very thought before except...
Trinity vs. Prominent Out of State Team
Bowling Green vs. Scott County
Highlands vs. Anderson County
Central vs. Franklin-Simpson
Covington Holy Cross vs. Belfry
Hazard vs. Mayfield re-match

Or mix and match ...

Trinity vs. Bowling Green
Scott County vs. Highlands
Central vs. Anderson County
Covington Holy Cross vs. Mayfield
Hazard vs. Glascow
Belfry vs. Franklin-Simpson
Belfry0304 Wrote:I've had that very thought before except...
Trinity vs. Prominent Out of State Team
Bowling Green vs. Scott County
Highlands vs. Anderson County
Central vs. Franklin-Simpson
Covington Holy Cross vs. Belfry
Hazard vs. Mayfield re-match

Or mix and match ...

Trinity vs. Bowling Green
Scott County vs. Highlands
Central vs. Anderson County
Covington Holy Cross vs. Mayfield
Hazard vs. Glascow
Belfry vs. Franklin-Simpson

I think it'd be a heluva interesting thing to see. Most of the time, we never know how the top teams in the state rank in and out of each class. On paper, we know how things SHOULD go. But more often than not, we never really get any real knowledge of how a 1A champ would fair against a 4A champ...I'm fairly certain we all know how a Trinity or Highlands vs Mayfield would go...but I'd like to see it REALLY happen.
11 game reg season , only the district champions make the playoffs ...