Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincoln County 63, South Laurel 20
Final
Very long year for South Laurel. They had high expectations after last year but have taken a step backwards.
It's been a tough year for SL
South Laurel has been reduced to basically a JV team due to injurys and defections from the team. Been a mess from week one. A house cleaning seems to be in order here!
Hopefully they won't put Steve Wright on the hiring committee this time.
Wow, I didnt know South was this bad.
Definitely no playoffs now or any chance what so ever.

I hope South keeps him forever, but if they want to win, Welch needs to go.....ive been saying it since day one...
Wow!!
South fans were saying this since Welch was announced. What a cruel joke on a bunch of kids. South was setting state passing records before Welch showed up.
We are still setting state passing records, They are just for interceptions. We will be alright, Other than the Irwin years we were never competitive in football anyways.
^
South should have done whatever possible to keep Irwin.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
South should have done whatever possible to keep Irwin.

I have never understood the infactuation with Irwin, he was 2-2 against North, went 2-9 one year and barely had a 500% winning percentage at 24-20. Look back at the schedule they beat the same small teams then that people are complaining about beating right now. Its not the coaches in Laurel County doing good or bad, it's much more.
Majority of teams South beat in those years was mint homers who wasn't very good. Whitley want very good and the throw Harrodsburg, Leslie, and other smaller schools in the mix. His claim to fame I guess was beating Corbin multiple times but Corbin was not very good the either. Resounds lost a ton of games during tehise years and winning only district games against poor teams. Just saying I don't understand the Irwin comparison wiyh greatness. I don't recall us ever beating anyone we shouldn't have those years.
^
What your forgetting was the competetion back then.

South was in a 4A class that also consisted of Madison Central, when they were dominant, GRC when they were decent, and Whitley who was good until around 03 or 04 when they lost to South for the first time ever.

South didnt have a chance, as did anyone from the mountains in 4A. First round road games to Lex schools, and they were pretty decent back then.
Irwin beat Corbin, Whitley, and others during that time. They may have split with North, but North had Duncum, and i look at that situation the same as i do South's with Irwin. North should have done everything possible to keep Duncum. Best coaches those two schools have ever had IMO...
Rumors going around that duncum maybe south coach next year.......i hope
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Wow, I didnt know South was this bad.
Definitely no playoffs now or any chance what so ever.

I hope South keeps him forever, but if they want to win, Welch needs to go.....ive been saying it since day one...

Agreed
Irwin was much better than what they have now. There was a sense of pride in South Laurel football then.
I do not understand why football is not better at South. They have so many kids to pick from.
The administration showed its support when it hired a coach who had an atrocious record at the other county school. I am not sure but 7-25 is close. Maybe some North people can give us exact numbers.
South or North may never have coaches as good as Irwin or Duncum again. Larkey has showed some improvement at North this season but really dont know it its North's improvement or just the fact of this district is way way down. Duncum would be a great hire for South Laurel, but I really have my doubts that the administration would do everything to bring Duncum in.
HG_Bullfrogs Wrote:I have never understood the infactuation with Irwin, he was 2-2 against North, went 2-9 one year and barely had a 500% winning percentage at 24-20. Look back at the schedule they beat the same small teams then that people are complaining about beating right now. Its not the coaches in Laurel County doing good or bad, it's much more.
Majority of teams South beat in those years was mint homers who wasn't very good. Whitley want very good and the throw Harrodsburg, Leslie, and other smaller schools in the mix. His claim to fame I guess was beating Corbin multiple times but Corbin was not very good the either. Resounds lost a ton of games during tehise years and winning only district games against poor teams. Just saying I don't understand the Irwin comparison wiyh greatness. I don't recall us ever beating anyone we shouldn't have those years.

South was really tough under the Irwin years. I compare it the Stepp years at Clay County. They are both good coaches.
jep brought a lot of excitement to south`s program .i can remember when he had over 80 kids.i`m not sold on the administration in laurel county giving a hoot about football at either school..duncam and irwin were both solid coach`s.