Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corbin 13 George Rogers Clark 12
Quality win for the Redhounds playing up in class.

3A Football is absolutely stacked this year.
Sounds like it was a dandy.

Congrats Redhounds.
Corbin forced GRC to punt with around 5 minutes left in the game and took over around the 12 yard line. A couple plays later a fumble gave GRC the ball back at the 6 yard line first and goal with just under 3 to go. The hounds stopped GRC on 3rd down from the 2 and 4th down and inches. Corbin's defense looked good against a solid GRC team.
Goal line stands like that can give a team confidence and make a season.
I was impressed watching this one.
GRC isnt the same they use to be, but it was still a good win for the Hounds none the less.

Solid win to start the year off.
congrats to Corbin
Couldnt believe that Corbin actually tried to pass from inside their own 10 with 3:00 left in the game when they fumbled, and then when GRC was at 4th and inside Corbin's 1 they went to the shotgun........Nice win for Corbin though against a much larger school. Life after Pokey for GRC will be tough this season.
This looked like the slowest and poorly coached team ive ever seen GRC field.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This looked like the slowest and poorly coached team ive ever seen GRC field.

I wouldn't say slowest. GRC had good team speed, especially on defense. They might not have had one person with the speed that Pokey had last year but overall the speed of the team was pretty good. Their were a lot of good looking atheltes for GRC, however they weren't utilized. But I don't see what those coaches see everyday so there might have been a reason for that. I also question only giving the ball to that big running back once starting out 1st and goal around the 5.
congrats to the redhounds!
goBIGblue82 Wrote:I wouldn't say slowest. GRC had good team speed, especially on defense. They might not have had one person with the speed that Pokey had last year but overall the speed of the team was pretty good. Their were a lot of good looking atheltes for GRC, however they weren't utilized. But I don't see what those coaches see everyday so there might have been a reason for that. I also question only giving the ball to that big running back once starting out 1st and goal around the 5.

You are correct but after watching Pokey play, a lot of people seem slow.
I think there a slower team overall, but fundamentally, they are not where they need to be.
Corbin could also play better. Lot of simple mistakes tonight, but they should get better as the season progresses.
I will say this, Corbin looks much better this year than they did last year.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You are correct but after watching Pokey play, a lot of people seem slow.
I think there a slower team overall, but fundamentally, they are not where they need to be.
Corbin could also play better. Lot of simple mistakes tonight, but they should get better as the season progresses.
I will say this, Corbin looks much better this year than they did last year.

Pokey had elite speed that you just don't see on every team each year. And in regards to last year they may very well be slower. But, I was comparing them to Corbin, and in that regard I thought their team speed was very good. They probably how corbin beat in speed at almost all positions. I will agree they weren't fundamentally sound. Corbin did make some simple mistakes (way too many false starts/encroachment penalties). But it was the first game with this new offense and that might take a couple more games to get in a good rhythm. Were Whitley and W'burg both on byes?
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Pokey had elite speed that you just don't see on every team each year. And in regards to last year they may very well be slower. But, I was comparing them to Corbin, and in that regard I thought their team speed was very good. They probably how corbin beat in speed at almost all positions. I will agree they weren't fundamentally sound. Corbin did make some simple mistakes (way too many false starts/encroachment penalties). But it was the first game with this new offense and that might take a couple more games to get in a good rhythm. Were Whitley and W'burg both on byes?

I was impressed with Corbin tonight. They played better than i thought they would.

Williamsburg blasted Jellico 68-8, and Whitley was on a bye.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:This looked like the slowest and poorly coached team ive ever seen GRC field.

GRC has a new coach this year. After 13 seasons Paul Columbia was fired last winter.

goBIGblue82 Wrote:I wouldn't say slowest. GRC had good team speed, especially on defense. They might not have had one person with the speed that Pokey had last year but overall the speed of the team was pretty good. Their were a lot of good looking atheltes for GRC, however they weren't utilized. But I don't see what those coaches see everyday so there might have been a reason for that. I also question only giving the ball to that big running back once starting out 1st and goal around the 5.

Jury stilll out on the new coach.....time will tell.
^
I remember seeing that back in the spring.
Sadly, you could tell Columbia was not on the sidelines.
Congratulations Redhounds!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^

Could be a long season for the Cards. Looking at the schedule, one win( Rowan Co) could be the only one they get.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^

Could be a long season for the Cards. Looking at the schedule, one win( Rowan Co) could be the only one they get.
big win for corbin
The redhound D showed some true grit with that great goal line stand at the end of the game, nice win hounds!! Food luck next week
Who looked good for the Hounds? Did the Powers kid get a lot of carries? How about the other backs and Waddle at QB?
Congrats to the Redhounds.
HAROLD Wrote:Who looked good for the Hounds? Did the Powers kid get a lot of carries? How about the other backs and Waddle at QB?

Jewell ran the ball well for Corbin and showed some surprising speed, gaining 160-170 yards. Powers had a few carries, with one really good run where he carried some defenders several yards before they could get him to the ground. He lost a fumble early in the game, which seemed to affect him the remainder of the game. Waddle looked better than I expected throwing the ball, had one beautiful ball that would have been a 60-70 yard TD dropped by the WR behind the defense.

The defense swarms to the ball, a few times maybe too aggressively, which led to a couple of long TD's. The pass defense looked shaky to me, GRC did not have a passing game to really test it though. Harp stood out on the defense and appears to be at full strength after playing with the knee injury last year. Grigsby, Jewell and Powers also made a lot of plays.
I believe that's the closest GRC has come to beating Corbin at Corbin. Very hard to beat Corbin at home. Alot of factors come in to play down there. Columbia lost down there 21-7.
I agree EKU the realignment has really made 2A and 3A VERY DEEP classes