Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danville 2, West Jessamine 0
Final
Morse may finally reap the rewards of his hard work in the summer.
Very impressive.
Oops! I forgot to add "12th Region" to the title.
Prep Baseball: Caudill pitches Danville past West Jessamine 2-0, into 12th Region final

By MIKE MARSEE
[email]marsee@amnews.com[/email]
11:04 a.m. EDT, May 31, 2012

Danville didn’t give its pitcher as many runs as he might have wanted, but he got as many as he needed.
The Admirals scored one run for the margin of victory and one more for insurance, and Rob Caudill made sure that would be enough.
Caudill threw a two-hitter Wednesday to give No. 13 Danville another shot at a regional championship, as the Admirals’ 2-0 victory over No. 9 West Jessamine in a 12th Region Tournament semifinal at Admiral Field sent them to the regional finals for the third time in four years.
The Admirals struck early and scored once more late in the game, and Caudill and his defense snuffed out West Jessamine’s only serious threat to secure their title shot, the first since this year’s six seniors were sophomores.
“I think it means a lot more to me and the rest of the seniors to be a part of this run,” Caudill said. “Hopefully we can get that one more win.”
Danville (31-9) will play Mercer County (22-12) tonight for the regional title.
Caudill and the Admirals eliminated West Jessamine (32-6), which had done the same thing to them in the 2010 finals and the 2011 first round and had beaten them 3-1 earlier this month.
“It’s always good to beat West Jessamine. They’re a great team, well coached,” Caudill said. “And they put us out the last two years, so being able to get them back my senior year feels really great.”
Caudill struck out 13 batters and allowed only four batters to reach base, two on singles and two on walks as he improved to 10-2. He fanned eight of the first 11 batters he faced, and no one reached base until the fifth inning.
“It’s almost like you’re watching the entire game because he strikes so many people out,” Danville shortstop Dowell Harmon said.
His fastball was pushing 90 mph, and it was complemented by a biting breaking ball.
“I think, definitely, my breaking ball was the bigger pitch. If you can prove that you can throw another pitch for a strike other than the fastball, it really messes with hitters,” he said.
Danville coach Paul Morse said Caudill is so effective because has more than just a powerful fastball.
“When he’s consistently throwing his off-speed pitches for strikes, he’s very hard to hit,” Morse said. “In my opinion, it’s unbelievable what he’s done in becoming a pitcher these last two years.
“Most kids at this age (who) can throw 90 miles an hour, they just throw the ball. They don’t know how to pitch. He knows how to pitch. He mixes his pitches up well, he knows how to move the ball in and out. I just think the sky’s the limit for him because he’s developed so fast and learned so much in a short amount of time.”
West Jessamine’s cleanup hitter, Tyler Pasch, singled off Caudill in both the fifth and seventh innings, but he never got past second base. He was erased in the fifth on a pickoff play perfectly executed by Caudill and Harmon.
“That was great execution by (them) both to have the timing down on that, and it was definitely a big play because they had some of their better hitters coming up,” Morse said.
Caudill walked the next two hitters before ending the inning with back-to-back strikeouts.
“To pick (Pasch) off at second and then eventually work out of it was huge. It definitely lifted me for the last two innings,” he said.
So did the insurance run Danville put up in the top of the sixth inning. Harmon walked to open the inning, moved to second on a groundout, then came home when a slow ground ball slipped past the Colts’ third baseman.
“I was waiting to see when he fielded it if I could advance, and then it goes through his legs, and I was just trying to score after that,” Harmon said.
Pasch singled with one out in the seventh and advanced to second on a groundout before Caudill ended the game with one last strikeout, and Caudill said having an extra run to work with “huge” in that situation.
“One run can be enough, but when you’ve got two runs and you know a guy gets on, it’s not a big deal if he’s at second base like he was in the last inning. That would’ve been the tying run, and it would’ve been a lot tougher,” he said.
Caudill scored Danville’s first run on Harmon’s sacrifice fly in the first inning. He was the first of 12 Admiral batters to reach base off West Jessamine pitchers Josh Carroll and Zach Settles. Seven of them reached on hits, including two each by Caudill and Ben Mahan.
“All three pitchers that threw in the game did an excellent job today,” Morse said. “We got some hits early and didn’t get quite as many across as we wanted to, but I can’t say enough about the pitching on both sides.”

12th Region Tournament
At Danville
Semifinal
Danville 100 001 0 — 2 7 0
West Jessamine 000 000 0 — 0 2 1
Rob Caudill and Andrew Lasure. Josh Carroll, Zach Settles (6) and Michael Oaks. W—Caudill. L—Carroll. 2B—Ben Mahan (D).

http://www.centralkynews.com/amnews/spor...full.story