Highlands - vs.Conner
(at Florence Freedom) - 11:30 AM 9th Region
St. Henry - vs.Newport Central Catholic
(at Florence Freedom) - 8:30 PM 9th Region
Covington Catholic - vs.Dixie Heights
(at Florence Freedom) - 9:00 AM 9th Region
Ryle - vs.Holy Cross (Covington)
(at Florence Freedom) - 6:00 PM 9th Region
Dixie Heights senior Parker Stansberry’s basketball season ended with a disappointing first-round regional tournament loss, but he made sure his baseball season didn’t end the same way.
Stansberry tossed a complete-game seven-hitter and Dixie scored its first two runs on wild pitches and then tallied two unearned runs in the top of the fifth to break a 2-2 tie on the way to upsetting Covington Catholic, 4-2, in a first-round Ninth Region Tournament game on Monday at Florence Freedom Field.
Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
Enquirer high school sports blog
Check us out on Facebook
More prep coverage
Dixie (27-11) advances to play Highlands - which defeated Conner 9-6 on Monday evening in a semifinal game - on Wednesday evening at Florence Freedom Field. The Highlands-Conner game was originally supposed to be played at 11:30 a.m. on Monday at Florence Freedom Field, but was postponed to due to the heat and moved to Dixie Heights on Monday night.

CovCath (33-6), was the unanimous No. 1-ranked team in the final Enquirer Northern Kentucky Coaches’ Poll, was ranked No. 4 in the final regular-season state coaches association poll and had defeated Dixie three of the four times the teams played each other in the regular season, but two of the CovCath wins were close (2-1 and 5-4).

“We gave them two games,” said Dixie coach Chris Maxwell. “The first game we gave them two unearned runs and they beat us 2-1 and then we booted the ball in the last inning the last time we played them and lost 5-4. They knew they could beat them, so they were very confident.”

Stansberry had pitched two of those games, earning the win in Dixie’s 8-6 victory and taking the loss in the 2-1 game.

“We knew we could beat them the whole time,” said Stansberry. “I’ve been playing with those kids all my life. It’s so sweet. It’s awesome.”

The 6-foot-6 Stansberry, who is heading to Transylvania University to play basketball, worked his way out of two-on, none out jam in the bottom of the fifth and retired nine of the final 10 hitters he faced.

“Basketball season ended early and it was the worst feeling ever and I really don’t want to that happen for baseball,” said Stansberry.

He threw 105 pitches in heat that was over 90 degrees for much of the game.

“I’ve been pitching seven innings the last five outings I had so I was kind of used to it,” said Stansberry. “Usually in the middle of the game I get worn down, but then towards the end I just hit that adrenaline and keep going.”

Maxwell said he had senior Ryan Sexton warmed up and ready to pitch the seventh inning, but Stansberry was bent on finishing what he started.

“I was checking every inning and he said I’m good,” said Maxwell. “I told Sexton, ‘You’re going in the seventh,’ but Parker didn’t let me. He was out at the mound before I could get him in there. He wanted it.”

Dixie took a 2-0 lead in the second inning thanks in part to an error and two wild pitches. Senior third baseman Zac Odom led off the inning and Stansberry followed with a single. Sophomore catcher Seth Caple then lifted a fly ball to left that left fielder Charlie Mader missed to load the bases. CovCath starting pitcher Ben Maile, who entered the game with a 10-0 record and an ERA under 1.00, then threw a wild pitch that allowed Odom to score and then uncorcked another that allowed courtesy runner Casey Cox to score.

Maile was pulled after issuing a leadoff walk in the third.

CovCath scored twice in the bottom of the third to tie it at 2-2. Senior third baseman Tommy Arnzen drove in Brady Reese with the first run and sophomore Grant Schreiver drew a bases-loaded walk to force in the second run.

Dixie tallied two unearned runs in the top of the fifth to take the lead. Senior right fielder Garrett McKinney led off with a single and was then sacrificed to second. Dixie leadoff hitter Brian Daria, a senior second baseman, stayed alive at the plate when CovCath senior catcher Jake Lankheit dropped his foul pop and then proceeded to drive home McKinney with a long double to the left. One out later, Daria scored on senior designated hitter Cory Garrett’s single.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...305280057/
9th Region Baseball
First-Round Game

at Florence Freedom Field

Dixie Heights 4, Covington Catholic 2

WP-Stansberry. LP-Fagel. Hitting Leaders: DH-Daria 2-4, 2B; King 2B. CC-Reese 2-4; Lankheit 2-3; Arnzen 2-3, 2B. Records: Dixie Heights 27-11, Covington Catholic 33-6.
At this point, the Highlands Bluebirds are playing with house money.The team with just one senior starter and a losing record entering the playoffs just keeps finding ways to win. Now, the Highlands baseball program is going beyond playing spoiler - the team is making history.
The Bluebirds won their first regional game since 2002 with a 9-6 win over Conner on Memorial Day. Highlands advances to the Ninth Regional semifinal on Wednesday, May 30, against Dixie Heights at Florence Freedom Field.
The regional appearance followed the 36th District championship victory over Newport Central Catholic. The 6-5 victory over favored NewCath came as a surprise to most, but not to this team that has rallied late in the season.
“We weren’t really that surprised,” said head coach Jeremy Baioni. “We knew that if we played well, we had a chance. We’ve been playing well for the last couple of weeks.”
Highlands now has won eight of its last nine games to improve to 17-20-1 on the season. When the team stood at 9-19-1 on May 4 after losing four straight games, the concept of a 20-win season was hard to believe. Now, reaching that benchmark seems possible. The Bluebirds are playing with a loose confidence few teams can match right now.
“We feel no pressure,” said Baioni. “We’re not supposed to be here. We’re not supposed to be district champs. We’re not supposed to be approaching 20 wins. We’ve got nothing to lose.”
Defense was the key to the district championship. Highlands committed zero errors in two district games. When the defense plays like that, the pitchers think less and have better command of the strike zone.
“We’re pitching to contact now because our pitchers trust the guys behind them,” said Baioni.
After the District title, the coaches tried to keep the players loose. The Bluebirds took batting practice on Saturday, May 26, with music playing over the speakers. The team stayed loose through a long day Monday, May 28. The regional game with Conner was scheduled for an 11:30 a.m. first pitch at Florence Freedom Field, but was delayed due to the heat. The team warmed up for a second time before the evening game, which was pushed back to a 7 p.m. start and moved to Dixie Heights.http://communitypress.cincinnati.com/app...305290011/
The venue has changed, but the Ninth Region softball tournament finalists remain the same as Ryle and Conner will meet in Thursday’s 7 p.m. championship at St. Henry.
Conner crushed Newport Central Catholic, 10-1, in Tuesday’s first semifinal. Two-time defending champion Ryle defeated Dixie Heights, 7-1, in the nightcap.
“It seems like we always play Ryle in the final so we might as well play them again,” said Conner senior shortstop Ellery Kring, who went 2-for-4 with three RBI against the Thoroughbreds. “I’m happy we’re back. It’s a big relief, but we need to jump on them early if we want to win.”
It's the sixth year in a row and the seventh time in eight years that the 33rd District rivals have met for the regional championship. Ryle went 2-1 against Conner during the regular season, winning the past two meetings.
“We’re focused,” Raiders coach Patti Oliverio said. “And we’re extremely confident.”
Ryle has beaten Conner five times in the championship game with the Cougars’ lone regional crown coming in 2009. They first met in the 2005 final at Scott. Ryle also won in 2007 at Conner, in 2008 at Dixie and in 2010-11 at Northern Kentucky University.
The Raiders have outscored the Cougars, 20-7, in the final but had to eek out close wins in 2005 (1-0), 2007 (1-0), and last year (3-0).
“We need to hit,” Conner coach Kristin Koors said. “The best part about today against NCC was we hit from the bottom of the lineup.”
Conner (26-11), ranked second behind top-ranked Ryle in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, scored in every inning in which it batted against NewCath (20-14) except the third. Kring’s run-scoring ground ball to second base in the first tied the score at 1.
The Cougars scored the go-ahead run in the second on an infield throwing error. Kring’s two-run single in the fourth made it 6-1 in support of winning pitcher Elizabeth Sims, who was dominant with 11 strikeouts.
“I had different movement on my pitches today,” said Sims, who got a game-ending out at second base when catcher Katelynn Halcomb threw to Kring for her 10th runner caught stealing.
Ryle (20-13) took control with a three-run third against seventh-ranked Dixie (20-14). Katelyn Stephens’ two-run double in the inning made it 3-0. Kelsey Hammes’ run-scoring double during a four-run fifth made it 5-1.
Winning pitcher Ali Crupper struck out 11 and went 2-for-3. Stephens went 2-for-4 for the Raiders.
“I’m ready for Conner,” Crupper said. “I can’t wait.”http://preps.cincinnati.com/nky
Looks like NCC will be representing the 9th region.
Nick Woltermann was just looking for a pitch to hit. It’s an old baseball adage but the Newport Central Catholic senior shortstop put it to good use in Thursday’s Ninth Region championship game at Florence Freedom Field.

Woltermann drilled a triple into the gap in left-centerfield, scoring junior Dominic Pangallo with the go-ahead run in the top of the fifth inning as the Thoroughbreds went on to win their second consecutive regional title, 3-1, against upstart Highlands.

NewCath, which finished in a tie for the No. 5 ranking in the final Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll, improves to 24-16-1 and will play the winner of the Sixth Region, either Louisville Pleasure Ridge Park or Bullitt East, next Tuesday night at 8:30 at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in Lexington.

The regional championship is the fourth for NewCath since 1998. Highlands, which had won nine of its previous 10 games, ends its season at 18-20-1. The Bluebirds were unranked in the final coaches’ poll.

Josh Cain, NewCath’s junior starting pitcher, drove Woltermann in with a single to right to give the Thoroughbreds a two-run lead.

Cain allowed just one run on six hits in 6 1/3innings before being relieved by senior Andy Miller with the bases loaded and one out in the seventh. Highlands got singles by junior Jake Lester, freshman Luke Hennigan and junior Jacob Heck sandwiched around a fielder’s choice groundout by sophomore Evan Allen to put itself in position to at least tie the score.

Miller ended those thoughts by getting a pair fly outs to end the game.

“It’s not the ideal situation but I knew I could get it done,” said Miller. “My coach (Jeff Schulkens) repeated to me about 5,000 times to just get in there and throw strikes and that’s all I planned on doing. I wanted to make them put it in play and we could make the plays.”

Highlands took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third on back-to-back doubles by Heck and Hector Molina with one out.

Highlands starting pitcher Mitchell Jones, a freshman, accounted himself well. He had allowed only an unearned run on two hits through the first 4 2/3innings before walking Pangallo and bringing up Woltermann. Junior Gabe Schultz gave the Bluebirds a chance to come back by holding NewCath scoreless over the final 2 2/3innings.

When Highlands loaded the bases against Cain in the seventh, it looked like that was exactly what was going to happen.

“Today came down to they got the big hit when they needed it and we didn’t,” said Highlands coach Jeremy Baioni. “The last couple of games we’ve gotten the big hit. Today, unfortunately, we did not.”

All three of NewCath’s runs came with two outs. Designated hitter Connor Bartels drove in NewCath’s first run with a single in the fourth inning.http://nky.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...305310098/