Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yankees 4 - Reds 0
Final
Bronson pitched pretty solid....

The offense was dreadful...they made Petitte look like a ace in his 2nd start since returning.
NEW YORK — Andy Pettitte, fresh out of retirement, looked like he had plenty of life left in his arm. The Reds’ bats have a way of doing that.

Pettitte pitched eight shutout innings to beat the Reds 4-0 before a crowd of 42,015 at Yankee Stadium. He allowed four hits, walked one and struck out nine. He did not allow a runner to advance to second after the first inning.

• Box score
• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

It was the first time the Reds have been shut out this season.

“We’ve got young hitters and he’s an experienced pitcher,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “He must have been doing something real good when he was retired. He looked as sharp as I've ever seen him.”

Bronson Arroyo matched him pretty well until the eighth. Arroyo gave up a pair of home runs in the eighth. That turned a 1-0 lead into a 4-0 lead.

“We had two outs in that inning,” Baker said. “It was about four pitches. The next thing you know they’ve got four runs. That’s how quickly they can strike.”

Arroyo went 72/3 innings and allowed the four runs on nine hits. He walked one and struck out four.

“A loss is loss,” Arroyo said. “I was pleased to pitch into the eighth with a low pitch count. This team grinds out at-bats. But I would have liked to get out of the eighth with one run. Trying to come back from 4-0 when you’re not hitting the whole game is impossible.”

The Reds wasted a scoring opportunity in the first. Zack Cozart struck out to start the game. But the ball got past catcher Chris Stewart. Stewart then threw over first baseman Nick Swisher’s head. Cozart ended up on second.

Drew Stubbs bunted him over to third, but Joey Votto and Brandon Phillips struck out.

Baker defended using the sacrifice there.

“You want to get on the board if you can get on the board early,” Baker said. “I had my best hitter up there, Votto. They had the infield back. They were conceding the run.”

The Reds got a runner on in the second, third, fourth, sixth and seventh but did not advance him past second.

“That (opportunity in the first) was really the only scoring opportunity we had,” Baker said. “Andy Pettitte wasn’t throwing as hard as used to. But he had an outstanding breaking ball, sinker and change-up. He had everything working. He was tough.”

The Yankees broke through in the fourth. Curtis Granderson led off with a single. He went to third on Robinson Cano’s single. Jay Bruce threw Cano out at second trying to stretch it to a double.

Granderson scored on Rodriguez’s grounder to third.

Arroyo nearly let the game get away in the sixth. Derek Jeter and Granderson led off with singles. Cano walked to load the bases. But Arroyo got Rodriguez and Raul Ibanez to ground into fielder’s choices at the plate and Nick Swisher to pop up.

“It was nice to get out of that inning,” Arroyo said. “But it doesn’t change the fact that there’s an L next to Reds tonight.”

Arroyo retired the first two hitters of the eighth routinely.

But Cano hit a 2-2 pitch way out to right. Rodriguez followed with a single. Ibanez hit a 3-1 pitch out to right to make it 4-0.

With Aroldis Chapman unavailable, Baker let Arroyo pitch to the left-handed hitting Raul Ibanez.

“He had been getting him out all night,” Baker said. “We’re hoping he could get that out and we’d come in 2-0. But he hung a breaking ball. That was the ball game.”

The Reds went in order against Boone Logan in the ninth. They haven’t scored in 14 straight innings.

“You hit and hit and hope they come out of it,” Baker said.http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds