Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds/Cubs RAINOUT
Give the Reds points for optimism. But they didn’t make a lot of fans happy Tuesday night.

The club waited over two hours before announcing that the game with the Chicago Cubs had been postponed.

• John Fay's Reds blog
• Follow John Fay on Twitter
• More news from Redleg Nation

“They said we had a short break and then another cell after that,” Reds manager Dusty Baker said. “The field was in bad condition. ... We were hoping to play pretty soon. But it gets to a point. The fans are here. We’re here. You hate to start and lose a pitcher.”

Baker said the game will be made up when the Cubs come back in town Aug.17-19. There’s no off day before or after that series, so the makeup game will likely be part of a doubleheader.

Bronson Arroyo, Tuesday’s scheduled starter, will start Wednesday. Homer Bailey will start Thursday’s game.

Johnny Cueto is scheduled to start the opener in Pittsburgh on Friday.

To keep him on his turn, the Reds would have to skip Mike Leake.

Is that the plan?

“I think so,” Baker said. “We’re not sure. We’re discussing that.”

The Reds did not officially call the game until 9:20 p.m. – two hours and 10 minutes after the scheduled start.

Baker, general manager Walt Jocketty, chief operating officer Phil Castellini and vice president Declan Mullin were all in on the decision.

Arroyo said the one-day delay will affect him minimally.

“I used to hate extra days,” he said. “But you get a little older, I’ll take them.”

Arroyo never warmed up.

“I was starting to get prepared,” he said. “But it wasn’t looking too good ...”
RAINOUT TICKET INFORMATION

There will be an announcement regarding the rescheduling of Tuesday night’s game at a later date. Keep your tickets as they may be exchanged at face value for any future 2012 regular-season home game, subject to availability. Fans holding Kid Glove Tickets at $0.00 value may exchange their tickets for any of the remaining four Kid Glove dates:

Wednesday, Chicago, 7:10 p.m.

Mon., 5/21, Atlanta, 7:10 p.m.

Tue., 6/5, Pittsburgh,7:10 p.m.

Wed., 6/6, Pittsburgh, 7:10 p.m.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120...|text|Reds