Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky Football Notes | Caffey's conversion from RB to CB going well, Joker says
LEXINGTON, KY. — Marcus Caffey’s conversion from running back to cornerback for the University of Kentucky football team couldn’t be going any better, it seems. After breaking up several deep passes in last Saturday’s scrimmage, Caffey intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown Friday in the Wildcats’ 11th of 15 spring practices.

“It was one of the biggest plays that I’ve seen made here on defense,” coach Joker Phillips said. “I was excited to see that. The guy has unbelievable talent.”

That’s obvious, considering Caffey was a running back for Kentucky last fall, during his redshirt season. Now, in fewer than a dozen practices at corner, Caffey appears to have already locked up a starting job.

Caffey was rated a top-40 running back nationally coming out of high school, but Phillips said the Cats’ staff is not surprised by his smooth transition.

“We were recruiting him as a corner,” Phillips said. “Marcus Caffey was a guy that wanted to play running back, wanted to give it a chance, give it a shot. But we all thought he was a cornerback. It was convincing him that corners nowadays are more high-profile than running backs. How do you convince him? Look at the salaries at the next level. Look at the draft.”

In the last three NFL drafts, 21 cornerbacks and 16 running backs have been taken in the first two rounds. In the same span, 10 corners and seven running backs have been first-rounders. Sold on that information, Caffey has wasted no time making an impact.

Defensive coordinator Rick Minter on Friday called Caffey “your prototypical corner.”

“Once we were able to convince him … it was definitely a natural position for him,” Phillips said. “So now we’ve got a 205-pound, 6-foot-1, long-arm cornerback that everybody’s playing with in this league. We think he’ll be a big-time player here.http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
Not discouraged
Despite giving up 14 sacks in the last scrimmage, including six by the first team, offensive line coach Mike Summers is not especially discouraged. He is, after all, breaking in three new starters and replacing the entire left side of the line.“In spring practice, going against your defense, every day they put in new defenses and new blitzes and new this and new that,” Summers said. “It’s pretty much like target practice. We don’t mind that up front right now, because we’re still trying to teach the protections and teach the techniques.

“We’re very concerned about pressure on our quarterback. Having new guys in there, there’s going to be some growing pains with that. … But we’re still teaching right now, so I’m kind of swallowing my pride a little bit and allow us to teach rather than get too upset.”

Summers said seniors Larry Warford and Matt Smith, returning starters at right guard and center, have taken charge in practice and are trying to bring along the younger players. And while they’ve had some hiccups, Summers said he remains encouraged about the potential of new left tackle Darrian Miller, a sophomore, and left guard Zach West, a redshirt freshman.

“I’m real confident about Darrian Miller. I think he’s going to be a great player,” Summers said. “There will be some days when he’s not an All-SEC performer, but most of the time I like where he’s at and how he’s developing. Zach West is the same thing. I like the way those two guys work together, and I’m excited about what they can be. They’re the future in our offensive line.”http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
Understanding defense
In his second spring running Kentucky’s defense, coordinator Rick Minter said “it’s not even close” how much better the players understand his scheme than at this time last year. Minter is hopeful that’ll help offset the fact that the Cats have to replace six starters on defense.

“We’re not as talented because we’re a much younger football team, but if we know what to do, we have a chance to play,” said Minter, who channeled his inner poet. “Those that have returned and those that have learned are now stepping up, taking their turn. It’s coming to them faster than the group last year because of having heard it before. So we’re a little bit further along in the scheme.”

Minter said he expects the defensive line to be a strength for UK this fall, led by defensive tackles Mister Cobble and Donte Rumph, whom he called “warriors.” He also singled out linebacker Avery Williamson and defensive backs Martavius Neloms and Cartier Rice, both seniors.

“Our older players are playing like older players,” Minter said.http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2...t|Sports|p
Scrimmage Saturday
The Wildcats will hold their second full scrimmage Saturday. Their spring game will be next Saturday, the only practice of spring that is open to both the public and media. But today’s simulated game is more important, Phillips said.

“I want to have the most competitive scrimmage we’ve had since we’ve been here,” he said. “That’s what we told the guys. So it’s a big day. It’s really our last day we’re able to get live work – real live work. The (spring) game, we’ll cut back, won’t do as much. But (today) will be one of those deals where we have to make a true evaluation. Our last day that we can make a true evaluation of each kid.”
Stardust Wrote:Not discouraged
Despite giving up 14 sacks in the last scrimmage, including six by the first team, offensive line coach Mike Summers is not especially discouraged. He is, after all, breaking in three new starters and replacing the entire left side of the line.“In spring practice, going against your defense, every day they put in new defenses and new blitzes and new this and new that,” Summers said. “It’s pretty much like target practice. We don’t mind that up front right now, because we’re still trying to teach the protections and teach the techniques.

“We’re very concerned about pressure on our quarterback. Having new guys in there, there’s going to be some growing pains with that. … But we’re still teaching right now, so I’m kind of swallowing my pride a little bit and allow us to teach rather than get too upset.”

Summers said seniors Larry Warford and Matt Smith, returning starters at right guard and center, have taken charge in practice and are trying to bring along the younger players. And while they’ve had some hiccups, Summers said he remains encouraged about the potential of new left tackle Darrian Miller, a sophomore, and left guard Zach West, a redshirt freshman.

“I’m real confident about Darrian Miller. I think he’s going to be a great player,” Summers said. “There will be some days when he’s not an All-SEC performer, but most of the time I like where he’s at and how he’s developing. Zach West is the same thing. I like the way those two guys work together, and I’m excited about what they can be. They’re the future in our offensive line.”http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20120413/SPORTS03/304130103/1029/sports/Kentucky-Football-Notes-Caffey-s-conversion-from-RB-CB-going-well-Joker-says?odyssey=mod|newswell|text|Sports|p

We did that bad on the offensive line last year with Stuart Hines and several other experience seniors starting....I hate to see what's going to happen this year. Summers is no Jimmy Higgins.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:We did that bad on the offensive line last year with Stuart Hines and several other experience seniors starting....I hate to see what's going to happen this year. Summers is no Jimmy Higgins.

The difference is that last year we had a ton of injuries on the line. They weren't in decent shape until well after the midpoint of the season.
Our offensive line was on of the worst in the country.
Sometimes just having experience isnt enough.
Hines, Warford, and all the others arent SEC caliber lineman. Its just another thing Joke cant get.
Hines and Warford were Brooks' recruits.
I'm ready for football season to begin.
FBALL Wrote:Hines and Warford were Brooks' recruits.

According to RIUTG Brooks sucked too.
We need more help on the oline if we want to compete in the sec.