Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bears going through spring drills
JOHN MIDDLETON
Sports Editor

The disappointment following last season’s regional championship loss to Southwestern displays just how far the Harlan County High School football program has come in four years. Making sure that disappointment isn’t felt again this season, it now the focus as the Black Bears are in the midst of spring practice.

“We have brought up that regional championship game quite a bit. I feel like that is one reason that they are continuing to work so hard,” said Harlan County coach Tom Larkey. “I really love their attitude toward the weight room. They are dedicated and committed. I think they realize that is what it is going to take to win some football games.They have been working out five days a week.”

Harlan County has fielded one of the largest teams in southeastern Kentucky in recent seasons, and the large attendance for spring practice indicates that trend will continue.

“I am real pleased with the turnout. We have every returning player out here suited up, except for the few that are playing baseball. That gives us around 50 kids out, and that is a good number to work with,” Larkey said. “Everybody out here knows what they are doing because they have played before. We do have about a half a dozen new kids that have been lifting weights.”

Larkey added that there are also around 30 eighth-graders currently lifting weights with the team.

During the limited amount of spring practices, Larkey said the coaching staff focuses on the fundamentals.

“We just try to make them a better defensive or offensive player. It is strictly fundamentals. We work on blocking and tackling drills,” he said. “The coaches try to give everybody a fair shot out here. We are trying to find kids that we think can step in and play next year.”

Harlan County will wrap up spring practice next Friday, with a spring game possibly taking place the following week.

Read more: The Harlan Daily Enterprise - Bears going through spring drills
Sounds good for HC