Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magoffin County football
schs_football Wrote:I can't wait until SC homecomming game. lol
Never take a team too lightly, anybody can get beat on any given night.....:dontthink
I have been a reader of Bluegrassrivals and Bluegrasspreps for awhile and I decided to join to make some posts on something that is very disturbing to me. I follow high school sports, particularly, football. The past few weeks, I have been wondering, just what is the deal with Betsy Layne and Magoffin County? People wonder why these schools never establish sound football programs. The job at Betsy Layne has been open and apparently the job is open at Magoffin, or is it? Why hasn't Betsy Layne hired yet? What about the strength programs and spring football? These are just a few of the questions that need to be asked AND answered!

I am challenging the supporters of both schools, band togather, be up front, challenge, ask, take initiative, make a stand! It's time people, it's time Betsy Layne, it's time Magoffin County!:letsparty
Haha really... moving.. haha.. well good luck with that..
Thanks Hornet Gurl, you just pretty much sum it up with what the past has been like, but what can you bring to the table to make things better other than your recent insignificant post?Confusedhh:
they have been people ban together an tried to get support goin and failed when the Administration wouldnt show support they was about 20-40 parents @ a meeting trying 2 get Coach Brown to stay
hornet_gurl Wrote:Haha really... moving.. haha.. well good luck with that..
Well if you want to laugh and make a joke out of people who give you sound advice on how to get a stronger football program than thats all the team you all support will ever be....A JOKE. No wonder you guys never win if everyone has the same attitude as you. Another building block of a good program is attitude both with the players and the community. If the communtity has a the "were no good were never going to be good and theyres no need to change anything" attitude then dont be surprised and you have no right to complain when the team isnt any good.
It's going to be next to impossible to rebuild a program without the motivation of a dedicated, well knowledged, and respected coach, as well as, players who will be dedicated 110%.

I witnessed a player throw his shoulder pads down and just walk off the field during the Belfry/Magoffin game. I asked a Magoffin Co. fan if that kid was really quitting like that and they said "yeah, don't be shocked, it's happened like that plenty of times." I couldn't believe it.
Magoffin Needs to find a coach thats familier with this district and Region ! Like somone off the Prestonsburg, Belfry, Johnson Central, Sheldon Clark, Breathitt Co., or Middelsboro or Bell Co., coaching staffs ! If they don't then They'll win maybe one game next season against Betsy Layne or Allen Central ! In the District they'll average margin of losses will be 40pts or worse!
I dont think anyone would be willing to leave just yet.
BurntTires Wrote:It may be a good idea for MagoffinCo. to drop out of district play and take time to rebuild there program.
I agree but they wouldn't be able to drop this season if they wanted would they.
i think for the tams to have a winning attitude the administration needs to have one to. and a winning attitude is what is laking, pretty sad
The Administration needs to stop dragging their feet on this matter. What are they waiting for?

This is an election year and several of the School Board Members are up for Re- Election and they still side step it.
The kids have already missed the whole off season of lifting; because they didn't have a certified person to open the weight room for them. So Magoffin will be going into a season with out an off season of conditioning.
Well then I think they should just drop the football program for a season. Because there gonna have alot of problems against Prestonsburg, Belfry, Sheldon Clark, Shelby Valley.
PantherPride68 Wrote:Well if you want to laugh and make a joke out of people who give you sound advice on how to get a stronger football program than thats all the team you all support will ever be....A JOKE. No wonder you guys never win if everyone has the same attitude as you. Another building block of a good program is attitude both with the players and the community. If the communtity has a the "were no good were never going to be good and theyres no need to change anything" attitude then dont be surprised and you have no right to complain when the team isnt any good.
Dude Chill!!! She didn't mean it like that she just meant "good luck" trying to get them to do that!....She was being smart or sarcastic so don't get all hostile!
Pirate Pal Wrote:It's going to be next to impossible to rebuild a program without the motivation of a dedicated, well knowledged, and respected coach, as well as, players who will be dedicated 110%.

I witnessed a player throw his shoulder pads down and just walk off the field during the Belfry/Magoffin game. I asked a Magoffin Co. fan if that kid was really quitting like that and they said "yeah, don't be shocked, it's happened like that plenty of times." I couldn't believe it.

The reason that happened was because of the Lack of Discipline by Coaching staff and the lack of respect the players had for them.

It didn't happen when Dane Brown, Eric Ratliff, Mick Caba or Chuke Williams was the Head Coach. The players had respect for them and the coaches instilled discipline in the players.
schs_football Wrote:I don't know what's happen to magoffin, does anyone know if they have ever had a winning season. If so when and how many games did they win.

Yes, back when there was an interest in the program. The head coach then was Mick Caba who went on to coach colledge.

Grayson Smith was an awesome Linebacker and went on to Play and Graduate at Kentucky as a Defensive End.

Mike Caba led the state in Passing his senior year; beating out Tim Couch and playing on National Championship Teams at Georgetown.

There is talent at Magoffin; it's just that Football is not a sport where a person who has never played, been around it or assisted in any way with it, can expect to in any way be Head Coach.

It wasn't fair to The Kids, The Parents, The Fans or Even to the guy they gave the Head Coaching job to for this to go on. Why the former High School Principle made this decision when there was experienced coaches wanting the job is a good question.

Now if the rumor about April the 30th maybe making a coaching change is true; who are you going to get?

If there was going to be a change, it should have been made after the season was over. The administration could have at least gotten someone who could have conditioned, weight lifting and made an assement of the talent so they could be conducting schemes and strategies for the up comming season.
MCHStennischic Wrote:Dude Chill!!! She didn't mean it like that she just meant "good luck" trying to get them to do that!....She was being smart or sarcastic so don't get all hostile!
WASN'T*...oops
Alot of the guys have been going to the gym by themselves..I had to lift for volleyball and i saw alot of the guys there.
MCHStennischic Wrote:Alot of the guys have been going to the gym by themselves..I had to lift for volleyball and i saw alot of the guys there.

Correct, but there has to be a certified school empoyee present. So I'm guessing that the volley ball coach was present during this.
shes talkin about a public gym not our schools
yea he was but FATMAN is right lol...it was a public gym.
Ruthless Wrote:I say let Magoffin play, what's the point of giving up? Dropping out of district this year isn't going to make them win the next. Good Luck Hornets, I know it will be needed.
I may be mistaken, but if they drop out of the district, they must stay out for four years. They may want to look at my buddy in Pike County (Bobby Branham). He's coached for 16 or 17 years as an assistant at Pikeville, Johns' Creek, Shelby Valley and Virgie. Rumor is Betsy Layne is hot on his tail???
but dropping out of district play gives the players nothign to play for. i mean whats the use of having a winning season and not gettin to the playoffs and continuing on your season
FATMAN Wrote:but dropping out of district play gives the players nothign to play for. i mean whats the use of having a winning season and not gettin to the playoffs and continuing on your season

The use of it is to rebuild the program from the bottom up. You play teams that have about the same talent level as what you have on your team.

You start in the Elementary Schools and Middle School, you start a Junior League; which when we had one was successful and a lot of kids got experience from it.

The biggest problem in Magoffin has always been that when players get into Middle School and High School they have no Knowledge of the game of Football. The Coaches have always had to spend time teaching things: coverages, formations, how many people can be on the line, how many people can be on the field just basic stuff that kids from other schools were taught in Elementary and Junior League.
Dropping out of district could give you a chance to schedule 10 games you have a shot of winning. The whole purpose is to teach you how to win and by winning a few here and there you actually start to believe you can win and are supposed to win.
Magoffin, Your in for a long tough road, I don't care who you hire. A few guys at the local gym could spell 0-10. Nobody besisdes Choke and Caba has been worth a hoot at Magoffin, Nobody! Why the hell wouldn"t you give Grayson Smith a shot?
He was never the head coach, He could be the man. What the hell does his polotics have to do with his ability to coach?
MCHStennischic Wrote:Dude Chill!!! She didn't mean it like that she just meant "good luck" trying to get them to do that!....She was being smart or sarcastic so don't get all hostile!
All I was saying is that as long as you guys set back and laugh at your situation its not going to get any better. It just seems to me that there are people from other places that want Magoffin to have a better program than the some of you Magoffin fans do. I can promise you this that if a coach resigned in November over here at Pikeville and the board was still looking at replacements in MID-MAY! There would be heads rolling down main street.