Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(8) Creighton 58 - (9) Alabama 57 (NCAA Tournament)
Final
Doug McDermott is the most over rated and over hyped player in college basketball.
FBALL Wrote:Doug McDermott is the most over rated and over hyped player in college basketball.

I think someone needs to lay off the Haterade!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Great game from both good teams! Glad that Creighton and Doug McDermott were able to get the win!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Doug McDermott isnt even the best player on his team.
FBALL Wrote:Doug McDermott isnt even the best player on his team.

Wow! This proves that you obviously don't know what you're talking about!

He was named the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year! He averages 11 more points per game than anyone else on Creighton and he leads the team in rebounds as well!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
What it proves is politics. He's way overrated. I've watched him play three times this year and the only reason he gets his numbers is that daddy runs the offense through him. He does not impress me.

It also proves that the only way you can handle someone who's opinion is different than yours is to try to insult them. Try again.
FBALL Wrote:What it proves is politics.

It also proves that the only way you can handle someone who's opinion is different than yours is to try to insult them

You call someone telling you that u have no basketball knowledge an insult?

I thought you would consider that reassurance.
Let me guess. McDermott didn't look good today because the refs screwed him?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:You call someone telling you that u have no basketball knowledge an insult?

I thought you would consider that reassurance.

I said it was a try. And not a very good one much like your own.

I'm surprised though. You had a thought?
One of the few I actullat had correct.
Love seeing BAMA go down.
FBALL Wrote:What it proves is politics. He's way overrated. I've watched him play three times this year and the only resin he gets his numbers is that daddy runs the offense through him. He does not impress me.

It also proves that the only way you can handle someone who's opinion is different than yours is to try to insult them. Try again.

No, it's not an insult in anyway! Lol, it's not really debatable! Look at his stats sometime! Numbers don't lie!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sometimes they do. His numbers are better than Anthony Davis. So evidently you think he is better than Davis. His numbers are better than Robinson's. Same thing.

He's got good stats. Stats don't tell the whole story though do they?
NEWARKCATHOLICFAN Wrote:One of the few I actually had correct.
Love seeing BAMA go down.

Actually
FBALL Wrote:Sometimes they do. His numbers are better than Anthony Davis. So evidently you think he is better than Davis. His numbers are better than Robinson's. Same thing.

He's got good stats. Stats don't tell the whole story though do they?

LOL, really? You stated the following:

FBALL Wrote:Doug McDermott isnt even the best player on his team.

This is where you are wrong and that is what I pointed out! Now you're trying to blow it up into something ridiculous! Come on now!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
That's what you said. Your ridiculous statement not mine. Just look at the stats. That's what you said.

I know your words aren't your fault. Your teachers must have blown a lesson plan when you were in school. It's their fault,
FBALL Wrote:That's what you said. Your ridiculous statement not mine. Just look at the stats. That's what you said.

I know your words aren't your fault. Your teachers must have blown a lesson plan when you were in school. It's their fault,

Yes, that is what I said. He has BY FAR the best stats on his team and he is obviously the best player on his team!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
So he is better than Davis and Robinson? His stats are better. That's what you are saying. He's got better stats he's a better player. "Numbers don't lie".

He is an average player that gets his points because he plays mainly against weaker completion and his dad runs the offense to him. His supporting cast is much better than they are given credit for. There are other stats besides ppg.
FBALL Wrote:So he is better than Davis and Robinson? His stats are better. That's what you are saying. He's got better stats he's a better player. "Numbers don't lie".

He is an average player that gets his points because he plays mainly against weaker completion and his dad runs the offense to him. His supporting cast is much better than they are given credit for. There are other stats besides ppg.

They don't lie, he is the best player on his team, he was voted the MVC player of the year for a reason. The Conference Player of the Year isn't going to be the 2nd best player on his own team! Obviously someone's stats that plays on the #1 team in the country hold more value than someone who play's on a mid major but, we are talking about who is the best player on Creighton.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And we are talking about McDermott being the most over hyped and over rated player in the country which he is.

I don't hate him. I just don't think he is very good and it showed against Alabama. 0 assists and 2 turnovers. Gibbs was much better against the more athletic Tide.
FBALL Wrote:And we are talking about McDermott being the most over hyped and over rated player in the country which he is.

I don't hate him. I just don't think he is very good and it showed against Alabama. 0 assists and 2 turnovers. Gibbs was much better against the more athletic Tide.

How about we tell the whole story! Along with what you listed, McDermott was the only player in the game to get a double-double. He led all scorers from both teams with 16 points and he also had more rebounds than anyone else on either team with 10.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And Gibbs had 10 points 6 rebounds and 5 assists along with sharing some ball handling duties and playing great defense. A much more complete game. All of that without having every play in the half court run for him. Just to finish up on the rest of the story that you started.

McDermott does none of that. He isn't asked to gaurd. He gets most of his touches coming of of picks on set plays. He doesn't handle the ball well. Yeah, he's really great.
FBALL Wrote:And Gibbs had 10 points 6 rebounds and 5 assists along with sharing some ball handling duties and playing great defense. A much more complete game. All of that without having every play in the half court run for him. Just to finish up on the rest of the story that you started.

McDermott does none of that. He isn't asked to gaurd. He gets most of his touches coming of of picks on set plays. He doesn't handle the ball well. Yeah, he's really great.

I am glad that you finally agree! If Gibbs was is such a GREAT player, you would think they would have mentioned his name at least once in the article below about the game but, they didn't! Hmmm....wonder why? He did have a slightly above average game, I will give him that but, there's no way he is better than McDermott! Just because someone has a good game doesn't make them the best player on the team. Sorry to burst your bubble.

GREENSBORO, N.C. (AP) - Josh Jones figured he owed his teammates one.

After missing two crucial free throws with 8.7 seconds left, the junior guard blocked a 3-point attempt by Trevor Releford on the other end of the floor to help Creighton end its 10-year NCAA tournament drought with a 58-57 victory over Alabama on Friday.

Doug McDermott had 16 points and 10 rebounds as the eighth-seeded Bluejays overcame an 11-point deficit in the second half and then held on to win despite missing three free throws in the final 32 seconds.

"It's been 10 years since our last win, so that's great for our great fans - an incredible feeling,'' said Creighton coach Greg McDermott, father of the team's star player. "Here we beat Alabama at their own game. I would not have guessed that we could win a game (in the 50s). I thought we were going to need to be in the 70s and get the tempo in our favor the entire game.''

Creighton moves on to face North Carolina, the Midwest's top seed, on Sunday.

Doug McDermott, the MVP of the Missouri Valley Conference and the nation's third-leading scorer at 23.2 points per game, was held scoreless for more than 14 minutes but then scored nine points down the stretch.

He grabbed a huge rebound with 33 seconds left after teammate Greg Echenique missed the front end of a one-and-one. McDermott was fouled immediately and converted one of two shots to put the Bluejays (29-5) up by three.

Alabama answered with an inside basket from Andrew Steele to cut the lead to 58-57 and Jones missed two free throws on the other end.

Alabama brought the ball up the court, but Creighton used its last foul before the bonus to stop the clock at 4.7 seconds. The Crimson Tide inbounded the ball but then coach Anthony Grant called timeout with 2.4 seconds left after he noticed Creighton had switched to a zone.

"We had a man-to-man play on, so I tried to get a quick timeout to give our guys something to go with,'' Grant said.

After the huddle, the Bluejays countered by showing man-to-man but then falling back into a zone. The inbounds went to Releford, who got the ball at the top of the key and made a move toward the basket before taking a step back to shoot the 3-pointer.

Jones got a hand in on the shot and the ball fell well short.

Releford sat on the court thinking he'd been fouled, but the call never came.

"I didn't think it was a foul at all,'' Jones said. "I'm left-handed and I got in his shooting pocket on his right side and got the ball. Anybody would want to sell that shot. Anybody who is trying to get the last shot off - if it's not perfect - they're going to try to sell it. So you saw a good act.''

Releford disagreed.

"I felt like I got hit, but at the end of the day it's the ref's call,'' Releford said. "And you've just got to live with it.''

Jones said he felt vindicated after the block.

"I felt like the win and loss was on me,'' he said. "I felt like I should have put us up by three and we shouldn't have been in that situation. So that was important for me.''

Releford led No. 9 seed Alabama (21-12) with 14 points and Trevor Lacey added 13.

It was Creighton's first tournament victory since Terrell Taylor drilled a 3-pointer with 0.2 seconds left in double overtime to lift the Bluejays to an upset win over Florida in 2002.

The Crimson Tide held Creighton without a field goal over the final 4:55 in the first half and closed with a 10-0 run to take a 30-23 lead into the locker room. Alabama pushed its lead to 11 early in the second half, but Creighton responded with a 12-1 run to pull even.

The Bluejays finally took the lead with 5:38 remaining when McDermott converted on an entry pass to the low post to put his team up 51-50.

Creighton shot 54 percent in the second half after shooting just 34 percent in the first half.

"You've got to stick with it,'' said Echenique, who had 6 points. "It was just a matter of not buying into their game. They press you a lot. They try to speed you up and try to make you do things you normally don't do. I think we were prepared for it and we followed the game plan. We knew eventually the shots were going to fall down for us.''

The game pitted two teams with contrasting styles as Creighton came in with the seventh-highest scoring offense in the country while Alabama entered with the best defense in the Southeastern Conference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Why are we turning every damn thread into a 13 yr old crybaby bitching match about nothing? Come on people.
Yeah, the AP. there is your bible on college basketball.

That's a serious man crush you've got going on McDermott. Sorry to hurt your feelings but Gibbs was better in that game.
vundy33 Wrote:Why are we turning every damn thread into a 13 yr old crybaby bitching match about nothing? Come on people.

I don't really know why. I think it's because of the bromance LeeCo has for DM.
FBALL Wrote:Yeah, the AP. there is your bible on college basketball.

That's a serious man crush you've got going on McDermott. Sorry to hurt your feelings but Gibbs was better in that game.

Yeah, I guess that's why McDermott was highlighted as the Top Performer of the game. I will give you this though, if you're talking about this game and this game only, you could try to make an argument that Gibbs played a better game but, McDermott is and consistently been the best player on his team and the Missouri Valley Conference.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
FBALL Wrote:I don't really know why. I think it's because of the bromance LeeCo has for DM.

LOL, everybody gotta have a bromance but, that's not it. It's because you're trying to say that Grant Gibbs, who isn't even Creighton's 2nd best player is better than the Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Year. Common sense tells you that this shouldn't even be an argument but, obviously someone out there is always going to disagree about something no matter how far fetched it may be!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Common sense and my eyes tell me daddy's boy is the most overrated player in the country.