Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County Drew Patton inks with Campbellsville
Somerset — Pulaski County High School senior Drew Patton finished up his prep career with almost every kicking school record in the books. Last week, Patton signed on to continue his kicking expertise at the collegiate level, after he inked his letter-of-intent with the Campbellsville University football program.

Patton’s many Maroon program kicking records include; most PAT scored in a season (64), most PAT scored in a single game (9), most PAT scored in a career (146), most PAT scored in a row (58), longest kickoff on record (68 yards.), most touchbacks in a single game (4) and most touchbacks in a career.

Patton concluded a great prep career with the Maroons with a stunning senior season, which included an All-County Team selection, All-Mountain Team selection, a Border Bowl Nominee (KY/TN), and an All-State Team selection. This past summer, Patton was named Kicking Champion with Nike – Chris Sailer Kicking, was a Top Recruit with Ray Guy – Prokicker.com, and the Last Man Standing Winner with Nike – Chris Sailer Kicking.

“It was amazing to think that we really didn’t know what we had in Drew (Patton) in the beginning,” Pulaski County High School football coach John Hines recalled. “He came to us from a soccer background and wanted to get involved in football as a kicker. We really didn’t know what to do with him or how to train him, because we honestly don’t know a lot about kickers. So, he really did a lot of training on his own and studying technique on his own. His dad (Joel Patton) was very instrumental in developing some of his skills.”

“Drew has really put a lot of work into refining his skills as a kicker,” Hines stated. “He attended a lot of camps and got a lot of professional training and assistance. Drew did very well in a lot of those camps and got some attention nationwide.”

And it was in those summer kicking camps that Patton got the attention of several colleges, including Campbellsville University.

“The Campbellsville coaches had contacted me through some of the camps I participated in and I kicked for them in their summer combine,” Patton stated. “After that, we kept in contact. Originally, I had planned on going to college somewhere far away — like 3 or 4 hours away —but I figured I would be happier staying close to home and playing football at Campbellsville.”

Already, the Campbellsville coaching staff has plans of starting Patton at kick-off, field goals, extra points and punter.

Patton’s positive impression on his college coaches is no surprise to his former high school coach.

“Drew is only going to get better and his potential is really untapped,” Hines stated. “Campbellsville is looking to use him as a punter, as well as a kick-off guy. He has the strength to put the ball into the end zone and once he learns to put more hang-time on the punts, he will be effective at that position too. That is really a big plus for him. If you can be a punter and a kick-off guy — as well as — extra point and field goals, that gives you a lot more opportunities. Unfortunately, that is a huge hole we (Maroons) are going to have to fill in the future.”

“We are very excited for Drew,” Hines concluded. “It is a great opportunity for him and Campbellsville is a great program with a great coaching staff.”

Patton is also excited about his future at Campbellsville, but looked back at his time at Pulaski County High School with fond memories.

“My experience at Pulaski County High School has been one of a kind,” Patton said. “I have made a lot of good friends, a lot of brothers and lifelong friendships. I loved Coach (John) Hines and he was always been good to me. The whole coaching staff was great. They really prepared me for the next step, and I feel confident and ready to go.”

“All of my teammates have been supportive of me,” Patton added. “None of my teammates will be going to Campbellsville, but they will be going to other schools where I might get to play against them. That will be great.”

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...bellsville
[Image: http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/arch...6d4321.jpg]

On hand for Pulaski County High School senior Drew Patton’s signing to Campbellsville University were, front row from left, Velma Frederick, Cindy Patton, Drew Patton, Joel Patton and Carol Patton; back row from left, Chris Napier, Mike Morgan, Connie Frederick, Paul Patton, Randy Elmore, John Hines and Mark Wilson.
Congrats!
Great school!!! Good luck young man!!!
Campbellsville got a steal! I look for Drew to set kicking records at Campbellsville!! Congrats and good luck Drew!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON