Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County Tyler Jackson signs with Cumberlands
Somerset — When Tyler Jackson arrived at Pulaski County High School almost four years ago as a freshman, he quickly made his way on the Maroons football roster as a quarterback.

However, it was in PC’s defensive backfield a couple of years later where Jackson made his mark for the Maroons.

As a senior last fall, Jackson recorded 55 tackles as a safety for Pulaski County, while intercepting a pair of passes, and laying some big-time licks on receivers that came across the middle of the field.

He also caught five passes playing as a receiver in 2011, and returned six kickoffs as well for the Maroons.

In all, Jackson could play just about anywhere coach Johnny Hines asked him to, and that was one of the many reasons why the PC senior will have an opportunity of reaching his dream of playing college football.

Earlier this week Jackson signed with The University of the Cumberlands, and Hines for one says the Patriots are getting one heck of a football player that will be a solid contributor down the road for the Patriots.

“Tyler, I think, still has a lot of untapped potential as a football player,” said Hines. “He’s still very green, and it’s going to be very fun to watch him develop as a football player at the collegiate level.”

“When Tyler first came into our program as a freshman, he played quarterback the first couple of years then we moved him to wide receiver,” stated Hines. “I think defensive back has always been his best spot. Tyler really turned on in the Henry Clay game early in his junior year. He had a big interception in that game that gave us a chance to win, and he really played at that position at a different level from that point on.”

As for Jackson, he says the first moment he walked on the campus in Williamsburg, Kentucky for his official visit with the Patriots, he knew almost immediately The University of the Cumberlands was the place where he would fit in the best.

“The University of Cumberlands just had a nice home feeling to it, and the coaches all seemed to be very nice,” said Jackson. “Just everybody in general seemed very nice, and it’s a nice small campus, which is what I like.”

As for the opportunity to continue his football career, Jackson stated it really was a dream come true.

“I’m just excited to have a chance to continue my football playing career,” pointed out Jackson.

“I didn’t start playing football until my eighth grade year, and I certainly didn’t want it to end too soon,” Jackson added. “Honestly, I never dreamed I would have a chance to sign with a college to play football, but I worked extremely hard for this, and I’m very grateful for the opportunity.”

Hines says that as a high school football coach, it’s always a gratifying feeling to see a former player have a chance to take his game to the next level.

And, in the case of Tyler Jackson, the PC coach says it couldn’t happen to a better or more deserving individual.

“The University of the Cumberlands has an outstanding program and they are an outstanding university, so I’m really glad to see Tyler get this opportunity that most high school football players can only dream of,” said Hines.

http://somerset-kentucky.com/localsports...umberlands
[Image: http://d6673sr63mbv7.cloudfront.net/arch...ed831e.jpg]
On hand for Tyler Jackson’s signing to the University of the Cumberlands were, front row from left, Beth Beshears, Tyler Jackson, Tim Beshears and Dylan Beshears; back row from left, Edwin Sellers, Keith Rose, John Hines, Edgar Weiser, Joey Warren and Chris Napier
Congrats!
Congrats young man!!!
Always happy to see a Maroon continue his football career! Congrats Tyler!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Congrats to Tyler! and to my good friend Tim on getting to continue watching his boy play football!