Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashland Blazer 66- East Carter 51
Ashland Kittens defeat East Carter 66-51. Final.
2/17/2012
Ashland Blazer 66
East Carter 51
East Carter 12 6 18 15 51
Ashland Blazer 17 21 17 11 66
East Carter (16-14) -- Steele 2, Gee 10, Stickler 6, Mayo 11, Pennington 8, Stumbo 8, Damron 2, Limings 4.
Ashland Blazer (24-6) -- Gambill 3, Farris 13, Heaberlein 11, Cullop 8, Robinson 10, Slone 9, Foutch 11, Gunner 1.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2010/11/23/15374...rylink=cpy
ASHLAND — Ashland’s Kittens shared their way to a regular-season sweep of 16th Region opponents this season.

A Top 25 team in state rankings, Ashland handed out 19 assists and nearly had six double-figure scorers in defeating East Carter 66-51 on Friday night.

“This is the kind of balance we’ve had all year,” Kittens coach Bill Bradley said. “Everybody has the green light, but we’re an unselfish team.”

Freshman point guard Alexis Robinson finished with 10 points, eight rebounds and seven assists to help pave the way.

With the victory, Ashland improved to 17-0 inside the region.

“I think it shows we earned the spot they’ve given us,” junior forward Sydney Cullop said of the consensus No. 1 team in the preseason coaches’ poll. “But going forward, I wouldn’t put it past anybody in the region to come out and give us a good game.”

The Kittens led by 23 points on three occasions in the second half — the last at 63-40 on Haley Sue Foutch’s two free throws with 3:56 remaining.

“Ashland has been strong all season,” East Carter coach Hager Easterling said. “We played 24 minutes tonight and they played 32. It’s a sign of their maturity.”

Kitten seniors Mykal Farris and Julia Heaberlin scored 13 and 11 points, respectively, in their final regular-season game in Anderson Gym. They also combined for 12 rebounds as Ashland posted a 41-28 advantage on the boards.

“They are very good and play well together,” East Carter coach Hager Easterling said. “Competing for playing time makes you play hard.”

Foutch scored 11 points, Allie Slone nine and Cullop eight as Ashland moved to 24-6 on the season. Slone also had four steals.

“I think we all contributed,” Cullop said. “That’s how we play.”

Young East Carter kept battling and outscored Ashland 33-28 in the second half, with the Kittens using their regular rotation all the way. But the second quarter proved decisive as Ashland’s defense came up with 11 turnovers that fueled a 21-6 point advantage.

Cullop had three consecutive baskets — two coming off takeaways — to give the Kittens a 20-point lead late in the half.

“In the second quarter, our rotations on the press got a lot better,” Bradley said. “We were not quite aggressive enough in the first quarter.”

Easterling said the Lady Raiders’ youth showed up in the second quarter.

“We got disgusted with ourselves after missing some shots we thought we should have made,” he said. “It effected us getting back on defense and the way we worked the ball against their press.”

Seventh-grader Kristen Mayo led East Carter (16-14) with 11 points and Corina Gee came off the bench to score 10.

“I’m excited about how good I think we can be,” Easterling said after the Lady Raiders became only the second team in the region to play Ashland inside 20 points this season.

“They’ve come a long way since the beginning of the season,” Bradley said.
Congrats to Ashland